Quantcast
Mixing for television, workflow - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixing for television, workflow
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I've yet to tune in, but I'll have to check it out soon and give a listen. Thanks for the insight!
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman ➡️
ABC Family's "The Lying Game" is an example of a show that I pretty much use the VOG on all the time. Started usingn it on the current season. That's when I switched to using a bunch of UAD plugins. As well as replacing the Q 10 with Equick.
Hey Mark, I mix most of the promos for that show. Small world. Sometimes I work from mixed show audio, sometimes dailies (better ask the post house to get VOG!). Always a super-bombastic dramatic exciting gotta-see EVENT... ahhh promo Sure are fun to mix!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnOmix ➡️
Hey Mark, I mix most of the promos for that show. Small world. Sometimes I work from mixed show audio, sometimes dailies (better ask the post house to get VOG!). Always a super-bombastic dramatic exciting gotta-see EVENT... ahhh promo Sure are fun to mix!
I'm really happy with the sound of the DX this season VS last. The new UAD plugins make it sound fuller, and with more dimension, IMO.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have no direct outputs from my dialog tracks.
All of my dialog tracks have Eq, notch filters and sends for reverbs, as well as two sends for each of the dialog chains, and a send to the min dialog buss. Both chains have cedar, compressor, VOG, de-esser and peak limiter, as well as an additional EQ.
So you have one send muted at a time? Otherwise the track will go to both dialog busses unless I'm missing something.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnOmix ➡️
So you have one send muted at a time? Otherwise the track will go to both dialog busses unless I'm missing something.
Two sends muted. There's the direct buss as well.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Two sends muted. There's the direct buss as well.
So practically speaking, how would you use the three; direct, and send chains?

What determines which chain you use (or direct)?
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If I am going from one scene to another that is a lot noisier, I will switch to chain B, then back to A for the next scene. Or do it for a single line that might be much noisier than the rest. The direct I would use for something that needs no cleansing at all. Say, stuff from the futz track.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
If I am going from one scene to another that is a lot noisier, I will switch to chain B, then back to A for the next scene. Or do it for a single line that might be much noisier than the rest. The direct I would use for something that needs no cleansing at all. Say, stuff from the futz track.
Ok. That's sort of what I thought but I had to ask I guess... Did I?... Well, I did anyway, and thanks.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willeyh ➡️
I was a bit unclear on that. The VO is not included in the 8 hours. That would be insane, although it could be done in some cases!
Happens all the time here. 8 hours for a 45 minute reality show all included is pretty standard fare.

Quote:
One more thing that speeds up my workflow even more is the Microsoft Intelli Mouse, or the driver rather. I´ve set it up so that the thumb and right mouse button both do "option +" so I can quickly switch to volume automation view in Pro Tools! This is a godsend if you get used to it.
CTRL+WIN+ALT click on the volume value of a track in the Edit Window I/O section. Then CTRL+WIN+ALT on the name of a track. Then CTRL+WIN+ALT click on the pan values of a track... Check it out. (I work with a pen tablet which takes a little while to get used to but is much faster than a mouse and avoids RSI).

Quote:
Also when I print the final mix I have Dialogue and Music bus to fader 1 and 2 on my Artist Mix so I can do real time last-minute fix while printing!
I have DIAG VCA's + FX VCA's + MUSIC VCA's for this exact purpose during printing. All this combined with latch automation and AutoJoin mode (The AutoJoin isn't so much needed during printing but I mix the whole show in AutoJoin mode after having edited everything. It makes things really fast). Also programming the 6 User Touch Buttons on the ICON helps a lot. I hardly ever touch the keyboard. (Now I just wish the Clip Gain could be assigned to the shuttle wheel like on the Artist series! Select clip and give the wheel a whirl in the right direction. Hurray! )

Alistair
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe ➡️
Is no one using NuGen ISL for TruePeak limiting yet? Very transparent sound, even if pushed hard.
When doing old style loud -9/10 dB FS style mixes I use Ozone's 5 maximizer. Super clean. When doing R128 mixes, it doesn't really matter what I use as I don't really touch the limiter much at all. I haven't tried the Nugen ISL yet. The Flux Limiter v3 is on my list of stuff to check too...

Alistair
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow ➡️
CTRL+WIN+ALT click on the volume value of a track in the Edit Window I/O section. Then CTRL+WIN+ALT on the name of a track. Then CTRL+WIN+ALT click on the pan values of a track... Check it out. (I work with a pen tablet which takes a little while to get used to but is much faster than a mouse and avoids RSI).
I'm gonna check that out, as I'm not familiar with The command. But i guess it will be cmd+option+ctrl in os x?
Never got used to a pen tablet and I'm quick with a mouse. I have my right hand on the faders most of the time though in reality-show mixing.

Never quite understood the use for clip gain in my setup so I never use it. I even turn off the clip gain info line!

But cool to see someone working with (almost) the same workflow!
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willeyh ➡️
I'm gonna check that out, as I'm not familiar with The command. But i guess it will be cmd+option+ctrl in os x?
Indeed. What it does it switched all tracks to Volume view or Waveform view or Pan L/R view. (Without the ALT it just switches a single track).

Quote:
Never got used to a pen tablet and I'm quick with a mouse. I have my right hand on the faders most of the time though in reality-show mixing.
Indeed. Same here. Although I am right handed so my left hand is on the faders.

Quote:
Never quite understood the use for clip gain in my setup so I never use it. I even turn off the clip gain info line!
I always have the clip gain info line turned off and don't use clip gain too much when working on an ICON but in my home studio I have an Artist series controller. Being able to just select a clip and change its level up or down by turning the jog/shuttle wheel is very fast.

Quote:
But cool to see someone working with (almost) the same workflow!

Alistair
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have a compressor on my 2 main dialog busses and a limiter of the 5.0 DX bus.
All plugins are automated. I rarely audiosuite anything except pitch.
I don't issues compressors on individual tracks.
I know you are now big proponent of cedar which I assume you are running in tandem on your dialogue busses.

Do you use any other noise reduction tools? I ask because it is common to audiosuite stuff like RX on dialogue. Is cedar your only NR solution?

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes, cedar is my main tool. If I do have stuff tats RX-Ed, I will process it.
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, cedar is my main tool. If I do have stuff tats RX-Ed, I will process it.
In the past you've mentioned using C4 for NR, which I do as well. Since you've stopped using Waves do you have a replacement?
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou ➡️
In the past you've mentioned using C4 for NR, which I do as well. Since you've stopped using Waves do you have a replacement?
I have found the SPL transient designer to do the same thing when needed.
Just like the C4 sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
📝 Reply