Quantcast
Avid Pro Plugins - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avid Pro Plugins
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't think EQ III is bad at all. Otoh, Digi's dynamics always sounded harsh to me, so I switched to Massey long time ago. The only thing I'm missing in todays world is Roger Nichols' UNEQUILIZER, which is, imho, the best notching around, and I hope someone will resurrect it. As these plugins aren't supported any more, I switched to McDSP's NF575, but it's not deep enough. Q10 distorts and rings all over the place, so I never considered these for serious use.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Really like the look of the limiter.

In pt 10 the channel strip is a good go to. It has taken me quite a while to get used to the guy and dynamics metering
Prior to OSX EQ3 was a good work horse. It went pretty narrow to notch,had high and low pass and sounded reasonable with little dsp load.
For me everyday plugins need to have low dsp usage as I am often running 60-100 tracks all with same dynamic and EQ ( like a console!) and even more importantly - they need to be accessible so that the project can move from room to room or facility to facility. Idiosyncratic setups are a PITA
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman ➡️
Outboard analog compression is completely irrelevant in this post-production discussion.
You mean you don't like to spend £/$1000s on outboard just for 2 channels?! For that matter, neither do I.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko ➡️
I don't think EQ III is bad at all. Otoh, Digi's dynamics always sounded harsh to me, so I switched to Massey long time ago. The only thing I'm missing in todays world is Roger Nichols' UNEQUILIZER, which is, imho, the best notching around, and I hope someone will resurrect it. As these plugins aren't supported any more, I switched to McDSP's NF575, but it's not deep enough. Q10 distorts and rings all over the place, so I never considered these for serious use.
Then you really need to check out Equality and Equick.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko ➡️
I'm missing in todays world is Roger Nichols' UNEQUILIZER, which is, imho, the best notching around, and I hope someone will resurrect it.
Up until ProTools 10 I was able to use the Roger Nichols plugins. You need to extract them manually from the instal package (on Mac). For sure with PT 11 they will be missed unless somebody can port them to AAX.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman ➡️
Then you really need to check out Equality and Equick.
How well do they map to an icon?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q ➡️
Hm. There's nothing in the announcement. They only mention R128 metering but don't mention TP-limiting.

Do you know where the info about it being a TP-limiter can be found?

Thanks!
I talked with several Avid guys at their booth at NAMM about these plug-ins and several other things.

I can completely confirm that this is a "true" True Peak Limiter. And.....its also 64-bit. *cough*
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murasamee ➡️
I talked with several Avid guys at their booth at NAMM about these plug-ins and several other things.

I can completely confirm that this is a "true" True Peak Limiter. And.....its also 64-bit. *cough*
"true" True Peak as opposed to...? "false" True Peak?!
On a more serious note, thanks for finding out and clarifying.

When you say 64-bit, is that in terms of audio processing or memory addressing, or both?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe ➡️
"true" True Peak as opposed to...? "false" True Peak?! When you say 64-bit, is that in terms of audio processing or memory addressing?
Haha! I was just saying "true" True Peak since people in this thread have been questioning that (metering vs. limiting).

As for the 64-bit, its going to be in terms of both audio and memory. They are future proofing these plugins for a specific reason....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Haha! I was just saying "true" True Peak since people in this thread have been questioning that (metering vs. limiting).

As for the 64-bit, its going to be in terms of both audio and memory. They are future proofing these plugins for a specific reason....
Thanks for that. Glad you got the joke. The specific reason being PT11 around the corner? or did they not say?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for that. Glad you got the joke. The specific reason being PT11 around the corner? or did they not say?
All they told me was "for the next version of ProTools". So, they pretty much confirmed that its around the corner, just no specific date....yet.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
All they told me was "for the next version of ProTools". So, they pretty much confirmed that its around the corner, just no specific date....yet.
That makes me think buying these is pretty pointless right now as they may well be bundled with PT11 (or whatever the next version will be). Any word on any plugs in the collection?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't understand your use of the word "So" in this sentence ;-)
Deleted e479b20
Quote:
Well the next version of PT would be 10.3.4.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e479b20 ➡️
Well the next version of PT would be 10.3.4.
Would it? Pro Tools 8 and 9 didn't make it that far. PT 9 didn't even make it to 9.1
Deleted e479b20
Quote:
Would it? Pro Tools 8 and 9 didn't make it that far. PT 9 didn't even make it to 9.1
True, just wanted to say that just because they say "next version" doesn't mean it's 11 that's around the corner. SO I don't see at what point they confirmed 11 is around the corner from what you quoted. There are plenty of numbers available till they reach 11.

My guess is: At least another year till 11. Not based on facts or even rumors. Just a guess. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q ➡️
True, just wanted to say that just because they say "next version" doesn't mean it's 11 that's around the corner. SO I don't see at what point they confirmed 11 is around the corner from what you quoted. There are plenty of numbers available till they reach 11.

My guess is: At least another year till 11. Not based on facts or even rumors. Just a guess. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
Ah yes, I'm sure there will be something in the interim. But .x.x numbers aren't really considered "versions" just updates. With media composer, Avid market 5, 5.5, 6 and 6.5 separately, however Pro Tools is never marketed as 10.3, so I'm not sure Avid even see 10.x as a version either. But, as you say, 11 could be a way off as they have a lot of potential updates for PT10, although PT10 is really more of a stop-gap before TDM and RTAS are EOL'd.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
From what they told me, whatever they name the "next ProTools" is up to the marketing department. For all we know, it will be 10.5...or 11. Who cares what it would be called. I would still use it if they called it "Pro Tools: DonkeyFarts"
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
From what they told me, whatever they name the "next ProTools" is up to the marketing department. For all we know, it will be 10.5...or 11. Who cares what it would be called. I would still use it if they called it "Pro Tools: DonkeyFarts"
Very good point, and I like your idea for the name!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret ➡️
How well do they map to an icon?
Yes, Equality does, just can't map the middle band. I think Equick does as well, but haven't checked it lately.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Flux Elixir TP limiter has just gone AAX\DSP compatible too so hopefully Avid will pick a good price point
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjguitar ➡️
Yes, Equality does, just can't map the middle band. I think Equick does as well, but haven't checked it lately.
Cool. That would be very important for me. Despite the eq3 not being stellar it maps so well on the icon it's hard to change from it for speed.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Can't wait for Pro Limiter!

I hope they do Pro EQ soon, and I hope it has a built in frequency analyser.

I find the Channel Strip EQ to be unusable - uniquely terrible GUI and not enough bands. I do like the fact that each band is full range tho, a lot.

Matt
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Cool. That would be very important for me. Despite the eq3 not being stellar it maps so well on the icon it's hard to change from it for speed.
What's wrong with eq3? I think it still sounds great!
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross ➡️
What's wrong with eq3? I think it still sounds great!
Nothing at all! It's just not "Amazing"! I use it all the time. If I had a gripe it would be that the bands aren't fully sweepable across the frequency range.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Nothing at all! It's just not "Amazing"! I use it all the time. If I had a gripe it would be that the bands aren't fully sweepable across the frequency range.
Eq3 sounds great tho. Lots of room for improvement but is sounds great. Personally I'd like to see steeper cut shelves, tighter notches with more then 24dB of cut or boost. I love the shortcuts tho. For me, no faster eq to use.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What shortcuts?
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao ➡️
What shortcuts?
Band solo is really fast, change q also really fast. Other eq's you need to hit GUI buttons for those function or some type touch a band and it solos workflow, which I hate.
📝 Reply