Quantcast
The World is my Oyster! - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The World is my Oyster!
Old 17th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm pretty sure he's looking for audio post folks.
Old 17th September 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I've found that the cost of living in NYC is actually overstated. Yeah, it's expensive as hell, but so is pretty much everywhere else. The only things I've found to be abnormally expensive here are rent and bars/clubs. Most stuff is around the same price as everywhere else if not considerably cheaper (like the cost of food). Just a thought.

Also, if you avoid the go-to areas for new transplants to NYC (namely, bushwick and Williamsburg plus all of manhattan south of 125), you can get a very sizable apartment (or house if you go far out) in the 500-700 range with roommates.
Old 17th September 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Dylan thanks man, your a champ.

Cool if you can put me in contact with a few peeps in London that would be great!
ThisisStu... you still here mate?

I would dig to come and visit your studio in Dubai sometime as well! I saw the build pics on Facebook, looks like its gonna sound mean! Is it complete yet?

Who do you know down here in Cape Town that I could meet up with?
Old 17th September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman ➡️
I'm pretty sure he's looking for audio post folks.
Not necessarily... at this point It would be cool to meet up and chat with anyone in the general music and film industry
Old 18th September 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyeJedi ➡️
Dylan thanks man, your a champ.

Cool if you can put me in contact with a few peeps in London that would be great!
ThisisStu... you still here mate?

I would dig to come and visit your studio in Dubai sometime as well! I saw the build pics on Facebook, looks like its gonna sound mean! Is it complete yet?

Who do you know down here in Cape Town that I could meet up with?
Sure man, I will introduce you on facebook to a few good friends of mine. One of them managed a few really popular studios, he is bound to have some interesting contacts.

Well anytime before December you are more than welcome to visit us in Dubai. there after I will be living in Canada. I will continue to help with operations at Tone Town however.

Studio is 98% done, we are having the guys from SSL here on the 25th as part of SSL on Tour, very excited.

Been a lot of hard work building the studio, but its totally worth it. The rooms sound very good. I've found it very easy to get down to business so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyeJedi ➡️
Not necessarily... at this point It would be cool to meet up and chat with anyone in the general music and film industry
The mates I mentioned above all frequent top studios almost daily, the cool thing is that when you are in those circles you know a large variety of interesting people. And they are super nice people, if they have time, I'm sure they would be happy to meet up.
Old 18th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dylan. Why Canada?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Dylan. Why Canada?
Hi Mark

I have always been fascinated by Canada and a lot of my influences are Canadian. But the move to that side of the world is to have access to the whole of North America.

Growing up in the music scene in Johannesburg, SA. was wonderful, musicians are hungry and talented, so there is a lot of opportunity if you are willing to get your hands dirty -There is also a lot of opportunity for post production and music to picture. After many good and some not so good years my wife and I wanted to gain more international experience and Dubai has been a wonderful stepping stone for that. I have been very fortunate to travel a few times for projects, it has been a wonderful hub to the rest of the Middle East and North Africa I especially enjoyed doing projects in Jordan.

Dubai's music industry is very very small. it is a micro industry. Gold certification in the GCC is only 10 000 units, compared to 20 000 in South Africa, 40 000 in Canada and 500 000 in the US. Few even reach silver here (5000 units)

In terms of post production houses, there are only 4 major competitors in the whole of the UAE - it is tiny. Although a fair amount of films get shot here, they normally come with crew. So your main work is Radio and TV commercials. I worked as head of audio for a TV station for a bit - it was a lot of good work for me, and I got to compose theme music for a lot of TV shows but in the end - overall quality would slip because they would hire inexperienced staff, get them trained by the experienced staff for 2 weeks and then fire the experienced staff to save costs. After 4 months we had lost some wonderful members of staff to people who had no real world experience.

Dubai has been incredible for me and my wife for many reasons. Its been great to feel like a big fish in a fish bowl, but the only way to really learn and push yourself is to be a little fish in the ocean - I really want to learn more and improve my craft so its time to jump in the deep end again. - So Canada here we come.

When the opportunity arises, I will definitely be knocking on your doors there in LA - I'd love to experience America.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Having lived in Canada. I would have gone straight for LA, if you want to be in this industry.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Having lived in Canada. I would have gone straight for LA, if you want to be in this industry.
Easier said then done, its is all a process, we will get to experience the American music industry in time. We are excited for Canada, there are a lot of good reasons for us to be there.

I had job opportunity in LA and Colorado before but due to costs involved and reasons for my wife's work opportunities it was not feasible for us at the time, which is why Dubai was an easy move.
📝 Reply