Quantcast
Schools in Los Angeles - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Schools in Los Angeles
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Schools in Los Angeles

I'm a music mixer looking to transition to post. I posted here last year and am following advice by mixing some indy shorts. I also did some boom work to get a better idea of how things work.

Now I am thinking that it may also be a good idea to go back to school. (FWIW I'm in my mid-40's and have a BS degree in Communications.) With my background and motivation, I know I will excel in school.

I am going to start researching options, and figured I would post here to get some opinions. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I'm in film school myself and I'll be honest I'm not sure how much going back to school will help you. All the professionals I met don't give a ^%* about degrees. I learned everything I know from books and doing research online then putting them into practice on my school projects. If you're looking for resources on makningh the transition from Music to video (I came from live music myself ) I would recommend the books by Jay Rose. And just keep working on projects so you can make yourself a good reel. Maybe ask a local post house if you could be a fly on the wall for one after noon. Also experiment, the SSL series may sound great for a lead vocal but will sound like crap on a lead actress . Good luck.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You can also take classes at video symphony. They have audio classes related to post production.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
+1 for Video Symphony. It's been 5 years since I finished their program and I'm not doing too bad for myself. But keep in mind that landing that next big gig is more about what you've done than where you went to school in this industry. When I went, the program was at their main facility in the downtown Burbank area. They have since moved the audio program into an old recording a few miles away.

-Justin
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll call Video Symphony tomorrow and also get the Jay Rose book.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Don't want you money on any of the for profit schools.
Try and get into a facility doing anything at all, and work your way up.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
<< Try and get into a facility doing anything at all, and work your way up.>>

That was the plan, but I'm not having any luck.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu Mixer ➑️
<< Try and get into a facility doing anything at all, and work your way up.>>

That was the plan, but I'm not having any luck.
Have you contacted and called every single place from small to big every 4-6 weeks, religiously for the last 6 months to a year?
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would re-think, if such a "school paper" gives you a better starting point at the possible job interview... It is just a question and perhaps studio owners would comment, how it looks from their perspective...

regards,
Kuba
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
<< Have you contacted and called every single place from small to big every 4-6 weeks, religiously for the last 6 months to a year? >>

I've been making the calls, but you're right-- I could be more systematic and better at follow-up.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…