Quantcast
Monitoring suggestions - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitoring suggestions
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Monitoring suggestions

We're about to upgrade our monitoring in 3 studios. All 3 will be 5.1 surrounds. At the moment they are Dynaudio BM6 MKI's. Today we got a set of Dynaudio AIR15's to demo. We'll also demo K+H O300's (or their Neumann version if they'll be available any time soon) and possibly a set of JBL LSR6382.

Any other suggestions along the lines of the above mentioned monitors for post that we should try out? Mainly mixing for TV, occasional cinematic stuff.

And if you have experience with a few of these monitors which would you prefer?
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I personally use focal twin be for my lcr monitor with a jbl 6312 p sub. They sound really good and translate well to tv. I also really like Adam s3a for tv mixing. I know these are not the normal tv post speakers. I think it's the clarity in the mid range of both these speakers that make them translate to tv so well.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
We have the Dyanaudio Airs in 5.1 in one of our studios. I personally did not like them for working with sound for video. A little dull and not enough detail when you looking for the pesky dolly squeaks and cell phones that the grips keep forgetting to turn off. There is actually a pair of focal cms 65s int he same room and when in stereo I prefer to use them. For EQ and balancing they do translate rather well from what I've tested. But the lack of accuracy makes it easy to not hear stuff that the editors missed. Well that's my two cents. Good Luck!
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
JBL 6328Ps.
That is all.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the reply's. Our initial reactions were that the AIRs sounded a lot brighter and more detailed than the BM6's we were used to but overall missed some low end for a speaker of that size..

We also got the Adams S3X's in today. Which hopefully we'll be able to compare to the bigger AIR 20's and the Neumann KH310a's sometime soon.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottage Lunch ➑️
This may sound crazy but I just tried some QSC K10s, 1000 watt powered speakers. I checked them out on Smaart against my JBL LSR 28p monitors and they come up great. Neutral response with headroom for days and an extra octave of low end. I installed 3 (LCR) and must say I am pretty happy. And get this, $550 per speaker.
Aren't Qsc k10 loud speakers? The OP is asking about studio monitors.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottage Lunch ➑️
This may sound crazy but I just tried some QSC K10s, 1000 watt powered speakers. I checked them out on Smaart against my JBL LSR 28p monitors and they come up great. Neutral response with headroom for days and an extra octave of low end. I installed 3 (LCR) and must say I am pretty happy. And get this, $550 per speaker.
Ya know, i've often times wondered about this as well... If you think about it, theater monitoring is not much more than glorified P.A. speakers. Granted, they are pretty nice P.A. speakers, and in a very nice room.

Since they can play some pretty high levels, and are made for more 'mid-field' type situations, why not? Assuming that you can find something relatively good sounding, my biggest concern would be directivity and dispersion patterns...

In fact, if memory serves me right, when we were doing the ATMOS mix for Life of PI at the Zanuck Theater at Fox, they had JBL P.A. speakers for all of the surround channels, as part of the Dolby Spec'd Atmos package. According to the dolby rep that was on hand, they did this so that each individual speaker could do the ref peak level if asked when spotting a sound. Honestly, once they EQ'd the room right, i liked the sound of the room! Our mix translated very well!

Anyone care to chime in? Any real world experiences?
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
We had a Neumann/Sennheiser rep come and demo (among other things) preproduction units of the new Neumann KH310s in 5.1 (w/ a KH810 sub) last week. Apparently, the first production units will be hitting the market in just a few weeks, and if you can wait that long you should definitely take the time to demo these. (For my part, I'm hoping my boss will give me a belated Xmas gift...)
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hi Jamie,

have you thought of trying out the new Trident HG3's? They are a 3 way system and you can dial in the mid and hi speakers indiviually to suit your needs. I'm very much enjoying mixing on my new pair, have found the translation superb and they really represent whats there. Could be worth a look.

Tim
The Colour Field Recording Studio
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colour Field ➑️
Hi Jamie,

have you thought of trying out the new Trident HG3's? They are a 3 way system and you can dial in the mid and hi speakers indiviually to suit your needs. I'm very much enjoying mixing on my new pair, have found the translation superb and they really represent whats there. Could be worth a look.

Tim
The Colour Field Recording Studio
Good suggestion but are you mixing music or are you mixing for TV/Film?
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I haven't heard the QSC or the Trident and unfortunately the O310 weren't avaible when I was shopping for new speakers a few weeks ago, however I would still like to recommend "PSI", should you have a chance to test them. I am in a small room and was strongly considering Neumann's KH120 first, though when the shop insisted on my trying their secret weapon PSI, suddenly the KH120 seemed to be lacking "cello / viola" mids (sounding slightly "notched" in that area), and though the PSI sounded "softer" in the highs at first I actually don't feel as fatigued as after the KH120, which were crips or rather very up front with transients/highs (and lows feeling further back in the room).
Also, imaging on the PSI is both pin-point sharp and very broad and spaced, depending on material.
In the end I got the PSI A17M, you might want to consider A21M or larger.

I do not have any info on translation so far, but I love their detail and they have raving reviews on Soundonsound, should one care about that. Being a Swiss company, it might be a little more difficult to find a dealer near you, but I would recommend giving them a listen!

Personal taste of course, as always!

Btw, what did you think of the O310?
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So today we had a quick listen to the AIR 15's and the S3XH's and it was pretty difficult to choose a winner. They sound very very different. but both have their strenghts and weaknesses..

What are you guys looking for when searching for the ultimate monitor for post production?

For example, the ADAMs had a bigger low end and sounded more distant, but was pleasant to listen to (will probably be less fatiguing). The AIRs had a much more forward sound with extended highs (but a tad less agressive than the ADAMs)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mottl ➑️
Btw, what did you think of the O310?
We just got the info that the O310 will only be available towards the end of february.. I hope we can stretch the decision until then..

Will look into PSI, thanks
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
damn those qsc k10 are cheap enough to have as a b set to check playback on a crappy theater in iowa.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
also if you want the ultimate in post production then go meyer acheron. The sound designer series should set you back around 50k.

Acheron : Screen Channel Loudspeaker System
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm ➑️
also if you want the ultimate in post production then go meyer acheron. The sound designer series should set you back around 50k.

Acheron : Screen Channel Loudspeaker System
We all dreamt of Meyers but there is a budgetary restriction of about 15000 euro for each studio
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For all those who havent tried the dynaudio AIR20's.. They are a fine piece of speaker. Wow.
Mich clearer, less harsh and tons more low end then the SX3 (maybe a bit too much)

I really wonder how the Neumann will compare...

They are quite big though, and on the higher end of the price scale... So fitting all 3 surround studios with them is out of the question.

Do people here with multiple rooms have different brands of speakers in each room? Or do you prefer the same flavor for everybody?
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I am in a small room and was strongly considering Neumann's KH120 first, though when the shop insisted on my trying their secret weapon PSI, suddenly the KH120 seemed to be lacking "cello / viola" mids (sounding slightly "notched" in that area), and though the PSI sounded "softer" in the highs at first I actually don't feel as fatigued as after the KH120, which were crips or rather very up front with transients/highs (and lows feeling further back in the room).
Hi Andrew,
I do mix on KH120 at the moment, and yes, they're lacking some upper low-mids and have little recessed lows (when compared to serious high end monitoring systems) Anyway, they're very clean voiced and very easy to learn.
They're half priced than PSI 17M (which I guess have to be necessarily better at double the price!) and I feel they're very good value for money, since you can seriously mix on them.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I tried the KH120's before and I really like them, but their too small.
That's why I'm trying to convince everybody here to try the KH310's out before deciding.
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac ➑️
Good suggestion but are you mixing music or are you mixing for TV/Film?
I do mainly music here, but occasionally do some voice work. It's all still audio though :-)

Tim
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter ➑️
Hi Andrew,
I do mix on KH120 at the moment, and yes, they're lacking some upper low-mids and have little recessed lows (when compared to serious high end monitoring systems) Anyway, they're very clean voiced and very easy to learn.
They're half priced than PSI 17M (which I guess have to be necessarily better at double the price!) and I feel they're very good value for money, since you can seriously mix on them.
I agree, and I actually did really like them too. However as I was offered a great deal on the PSI (dare I say nearly as low as the KH120) the decision was quite easy. I hope it was a wise choice to go with the PSI. So far: yes.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
However as I was offered a great deal on the PSI (dare I say nearly as low as the KH120) the decision was quite easy. I hope it was a wise choice to go with the PSI. So far: yes.
I firmly believe that (normally) you got what you pay for; PSI's at almost the same price than the HK120's is VERY good deal Andrew!!!
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I still am curious about the new KH310 though... Let us know when you hear them please!!
Old 20th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Small update:

In the meantime we had a couple of PMC monitors to demo including the new twotwo5 and twotwo6 along with the bigger AML2.

I really wanted to like these (especially the aml2) and they are top notch speakers but to our taste they were too bright and lacked low end.. It was suprising to hear how all of them sounded sort of similar. They definitely had a sound to them.
So I guess PMC is not for us. Maybe in the smaller room of the 3. But they are pricey!!

Today Neumann dropped off a demo pair of KH310's and after a while it became clear that these are serious contenders. Nice detailed highs, tight lows. Good allround definition, while not sounding overly bright (compared to the PMC's)

I'll have more time tomorrow and the day after to properly test the KH310's and compare them to the PMC's and dynaudios.
I'll get back on here to write down my thoughts!
Old 22nd February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
For all those who havent tried the dynaudio AIR20's.. They are a fine piece of speaker. Wow.
Mich clearer, less harsh and tons more low end then the SX3 (maybe a bit too much)
We installed an 5.1 AIR20 system 4 months ago in a new post studio. I like them very much. They sound different than the Dynaudio M3 that I use in my main post studio but I feel keeping the same brand give us some consistency.
It's all about taste but I really enjoy working with dynaudio monitors.
Old 22nd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Monitor speakers are a very personal choice, my only advice is to not go too far in the direction of "sounds good" as opposed to "truthful". Re anything Dynaudio, make sure your dealer is really behind you and will take your service needs seriously. We liked our Dynaudios fine, but found that the company would not help us with the service of non-functional speakers except to sell us an entire new unit. They would not supply parts or schematics to our dealer service people at all. We no longer use Dynaudio speakers as a result.

philp
Old 22nd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper ➑️
Monitor speakers are a very personal choice, my only advice is to not go too far in the direction of "sounds good" as opposed to "truthful". Re anything Dynaudio, make sure your dealer is really behind you and will take your service needs seriously. We liked our Dynaudios fine, but found that the company would not help us with the service of non-functional speakers except to sell us an entire new unit. They would not supply parts or schematics to our dealer service people at all. We no longer use Dynaudio speakers as a result.

philp
Thats a shame, but also weird. I think our in-house maintenance team orders replacement parts straight from Dynaudio..
Old 22nd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac ➑️
Thats a shame, but also weird. I think our in-house maintenance team orders replacement parts straight from Dynaudio..
TC Electronic is distributing Dynaudio parts in Europe. I had great experience with them - although they sent me faulty replacement tweeters at first (new but faulty), they took my word that they were faulty when they arrived and promptly replaced the replacements....
Old 23rd February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I heard from another good source that some dynaudio airs monitors had problem holding their EQ / level preset memories and dynaudio didn't want to confirm they had a problem with some of those monitors.

I like Dynaudio but I understand this can be a major turn off when shopping for monitors specially within this price range.

If you shop around, you can find some really decent deal on used monitors too (Dynaudio or other brands). I was looking into the air 20 serie and asked someone to make some research locally. I found two 5.1 air 20 systems available and a pair of air 15 / sub combo.
Old 23rd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There are any number of different speakers that will work, but I am so happy with my JBL LSR6328s that at this point the only other speakers I would consider replacing them with are something Meyer Sound Labs, however, budgets will have to increase significantly before I go there.
πŸ“ Reply