Quantcast
Best single channel preamp for a voice over artist? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best single channel preamp for a voice over artist?
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've done over 50,000 VO's, and the most used mic pre in all that time has been the Hardy M1.

My most used mics are a U87 and an MKH416.
Old 30th May 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The list is getting longish..
I've chosen ( from the many I used over the years ) Lafont LP-21 with ; U87/SM7/416 in that particular order.
A place I frequently visit has an ISA 428 mkII, that works, but I find it a bit "puffy"

happy experimenting
Old 1st June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For its price / size a Neve Portico is pretty darn good.
Goes well with 87 & 416
Old 1st June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Another vote for the Lafont LP-21 or Lp-22.
If you can still find one of these, grab them immediately.

Fredo
Old 1st June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Doing your own thing, in all honesty it doesn't really matter.

But if you are doing work that has to match other national VO studios, then you will want to use what they are using.
Old 1st June 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Any reasonably clean preamp with plenty of gain and low noise should be fine, There's really no "Best" preamp. Matching the sound between preamps should not be an issue either as they generally don't sound as much different from each other as microphones do, unless they have tubes or transformers that colour the sound.
Old 2nd June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
What rocksure said. As long as the pre-amp is decent, I am more worried about what mic you are using than the pre-amp. (if you are sending your recordings to me that is) Low S/N and big headroom is of coure important though.
Old 2nd June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones ➡️
Doing your own thing, in all honesty it doesn't really matter.

But if you are doing work that has to match other national VO studios, then you will want to use what they are using.
David,

I'm anticipating having to do some replacement or insert work for large ad campaigns, but mostly the ability to VO an entire project from the home studio. Logistically I can't match every studios VO gear.

My friend is the voice of the US Navy, many national ad campaigns, currently doing a Ken Burns doc (also past KB docs) & is a major-league actor. The stakes are relatively high…

With that in mind, the Hardy M1 & a 416 are seemingly a nice combo, would you concur?

Thank you David & all for all the GREAT advice & help - you guys are priceless...
Old 2nd June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would ask your friend which mic's are used when he is doing work in those studios you will need to do insert work for.

The John Hardy M1 should be a good match.

As far as microphones go, here in the USA the Neumann U87 is used a bunch. The MKH-416 also has it's place.

I am also finding that many studios have replaced their aging U87's with TLM-103's rather than spend the coin on a re-capsule and referb jobs. I really hate using the TLM103 on my voice, but that's just me. The 103 does have a different sound than the U87 or 416, so if those studios you need to match are using a 103, it would make sense to get one.

Good Luck!

Dave
📝 Reply