Quantcast
My new JBL LSR6328s are awesome - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My new JBL LSR6328s are awesome
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My new JBL LSR6328s are awesome

I just upgraded my 5.1 monitor system from Sky System Ones to JBL LSR6328s with an LSR6312p sub. Even though I am a fan of the Blue Sky's, the 6328s are in a whole other league. These suckers are incredibly flat even without any EQ and capable of reproducing the levels I expect to hear on a feature film stage. I also don't need to use bass management in order to reproduce the the low freqs accurately, not that I have anything against BM, but if you don't have to use it, that simplifies things. The JBLs certainly aren't cheap, but IMO they are worth every cent you pay.
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Congrats Gary! These are on my long term wish list! Glad to hear your findings!! May they treat you well and your mixes on them translate universally!
Old 13th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I love my 6328's / 6312 sub. I never, ever, want to work without them. I've used the Blue Sky's in the past and I agree 100% the JBL's are a different league all together.
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan ➑️
I just upgraded my 5.1 monitor system from Sky System Ones to JBL LSR6328s with an LSR6312p sub. Even though I am a fan of the Blue Sky's, the 6328s are in a whole other league. These suckers are incredibly flat even without any EQ and capable of reproducing the levels I expect to hear on a feature film stage. I also don't need to use bass management in order to reproduce the the low freqs accurately, not that I have anything against BM, but if you don't have to use it, that simplifies things. The JBLs certainly aren't cheap, but IMO they are worth every cent you pay.
Must be nice...
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Gary,
I have owned the JBL 6328's since the first year they were available.
They translate in both directions, that is from a Theatrical mix when you use the 6328's for a Home Theater mix it sounds great and when you mix on the 6328's and then take your mix to "The Dub Stage" you hear exactly what you had expected. The 6312 sub kicks a..! It is one of the few subs that can actually take a Theatrical mix LFE and translate it. Congratulations!
Old 13th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound ➑️
Gary,
I have owned the JBL 6328's since the first year they were available.
They translate in both directions, that is from a Theatrical mix when you use the 6328's for a Home Theater mix it sounds great and when you mix on the 6328's and then take your mix to "The Dub Stage" you hear exactly what you had expected. The 6312 sub kicks a..! It is one of the few subs that can actually take a Theatrical mix LFE and translate it. Congratulations!
Yeah, I saw some 6328s on your stage when I came by to visit, which first got me thinking about them, and then when I was working on Spartacus, Bruce Langley the sound effects editor had them. He would premix the sound effects before they came to the stage and they were always very close to the way I would play them in the final.
Old 13th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Yup ... Another happy 6328's user here. It replace our M&K MPS-2510's. The different in translation is night and day.

And yes, no more room eq needed.
Old 14th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
great translation to the dub stage! Love em
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How would you compare LSR 6328 to LSR 4328?

Are they similar ("but smaller") or they are totally different beasts?

I am talking about using them in post environment...

best,
Kuba
Old 14th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba_Pietrzak ➑️
How would you compare LSR 6328 to LSR 4328?

Are they similar ("but smaller") or they are totally different beasts?

I am talking about using them in post environment...

best,
Kuba
Yeah, it would be very nice to hear any comments on this topic! I read a mix magazine comparing those with the cheaper series lsr2300, and the guy like it.
Old 15th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just an update.

I've been calibrating and EQing the new speakers and although the 6328's frequency response extends fairly flat all the way down to 50Hz and below, I eventually decided to go with bass management after experimenting with tuning the monitor system both ways. The reason has nothing to do with the speakers themselves, it is about the room acoustics and the fact that in my small room the modes are excited very differently by each speaker depending on its placement. With bass management I can place the sub at the ideal position for the flattest bass response and the EQ for the bass freqs will be identical for every bass managed speaker. I'm not using BM on the surrounds, but that's fine because their placement just happens to provide very even bass response without BM.

So, in fact, calibration and tuning was actually simplified by using BM, which contradicts my original post.
Old 15th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Great coincidence. I just installed the JBL 4300 series in 5.1 in my room. Fabulous. I'm really pleased. I'm also able to use the remote as a surround monitor controller which saved me a lot of headache and a lot of money.

Couple questions about the 6300's. Do they work with the remote? Also, the JBL software graphic suggested that the bass-management is only derived from the LCR, and not all 5 satellites. Is that true? I haven't had time to test it yet.
Old 15th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman ➑️
Great coincidence. I just installed the JBL 4300 series in 5.1 in my room. Fabulous. I'm really pleased. I'm also able to use the remote as a surround monitor controller which saved me a lot of headache and a lot of money.

Couple questions about the 6300's. Do they work with the remote? Also, the JBL software graphic suggested that the bass-management is only derived from the LCR, and not all 5 satellites. Is that true? I haven't had time to test it yet.
There isn't any remote volume control. There is some kind of a remote frequency analyzer that comes with the RMC kit, but I'm not using it or the JBL RMC function, it's not comprehensive enough for my needs. I'm analyzing the frequency response using a measurement mic and an RTA and making all EQ adjustments with a BSS 9088, which is more accurate.

If you use the sub for a bass management crossover it only supports LCR. That isn't an issue for me because I don't use bass management for my surrounds anyway. If you want it for all 5 speakers, then you can either use crossovers in a box like the BSS BLU16, or get a Blue Sky BMU bass management controller, which also has other useful functions like speaker mutes and solos, trim adjustments and a master volume control. I have a Blue Sky BMU but don't use it anymore on my main system. I have also used the crossovers in my BSS 9088 for 5 speaker bass management, but it's easier to just use the JBL sub, especially since I only want the front speakers bass managed, anyway. I'm very satisfied with how the sub handles bass management.
Old 15th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Gary,

great speakers, crazy amount of power. how large is your room?

you saying that throwing more than standard low-lowmid freqs into your sub is helping your room acoustics?

also, is this any issue when monitoring the 5.1 including the LFE? any difference there?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevarela ➑️
Gary,

great speakers, crazy amount of power. how large is your room?

you saying that throwing more than standard low-lowmid freqs into your sub is helping your room acoustics?

also, is this any issue when monitoring the 5.1 including the LFE? any difference there?
The room I'm in right now is small, approximately 12'x14'x9'. The crossover frequency for bass management in the JBL sub is 85Hz. Audio above that cutoff frequency is directional so you don't want it going to the sub, you want it to come from the satellites. Below 85Hz audio is omnidirectional, so although it comes from the sub, your ear can't detect a point source, but your brain will tend to identify its source as being the same location as the satellite speaker that is generating the higher elements of the sound. The advantage of using bass management, besides extending the low frequency response (which you don't really need to do with the 6328s) is that the sub can be placed in the ideal position for reproducing the low freqs accurately by minimizing problems caused by SBIR (Speaker Boundary Interference Response). It also means the low frequency response is identical for all the speakers, which simplifies the EQing process.

BTW, I believe I misspoke in an earlier post when I mentioned "room modes", I should have said SBIR, which is a function of a speaker's location relative to walls, ceiling and floor and refers to cumulative and destructive phase relationships between the direct and reflected sound, resulting in uneven frequency response when it recombines, especially problematic in the low frequencies. You can alter the effects of SBIR by moving the speaker to a location that results in flatter response.
Old 15th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Funny you just got some 6328Ps Gary when I bought mine last December after picking your brains! I've been loving mine all year, unfortunately I'm moving to smaller premises and have no idea what I'm going to do with my beloved mid-fields. Way too big for near field IMHO, which is where the 4000 series fits in.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_in_Sydney ➑️
Funny you just got some 6328Ps Gary when I bought mine last December after picking your brains! I've been loving mine all year, unfortunately I'm moving to smaller premises and have no idea what I'm going to do with my beloved mid-fields. Way too big for near field IMHO, which is where the 4000 series fits in.
Actually, JBL categorizes the LSR6328 as a near field monitor and claims they are perfect for 5.1 editing rooms. They categorize the LSR6332 passive 3 way speaker as a mid field monitor. As far as I can tell, the main thing that differentiates a mid field monitor from a near field monitor is the ability to reproduce the required SPL accurately throughout the frequency spectrum at 3-4 meters as opposed to 1-2 meters.

They are kind of bulky, which concerned me at first, but that was more about whether my speaker mounts would handle the extra weight. My Omnimounts are rated at 60 lbs and the 6328s weigh 40 lbs, so it turned out to be a non-issue.
Old 15th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I guess they designed them, so they would know - my gut feel on it was that for a ported speaker that size, it's "nominal" sweet spot for a flat response would be at higher levels than those used when mixing in the near field. Mine are 12ft away behind a microperf and do their job amazingly mixing at 82. Pulling them in to 3ft and mixing with them at 79 would seem like a waste and I doubt they would translate as well - could be wrong. My near field speaker mounts will probably struggle though! Same issue!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_in_Sydney ➑️
I guess they designed them, so they would know - my gut feel on it was that for a ported speaker that size, it's "nominal" sweet spot for a flat response would be at higher levels than those used when mixing in the near field. Mine are 12ft away behind a microperf and do their job amazingly mixing at 82. Pulling them in to 3ft and mixing with them at 79 would seem like a waste and I doubt they would translate as well - could be wrong. My near field speaker mounts will probably struggle though! Same issue!
I agree that it would be kind of a waste using them at 3'. My mix position is a little over 6' and that seems fine.
Old 15th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
AH! (penny drop moment) 6ft would seem like near field to you Gary when you ordinarily mix in a room the size of a football field... many music guys would consider 6ft away mid field, definitely beyond the meter bridge unless you have arms like Mr Fantastic!
Anyways - apart from pedantic language confusion on my part, the main point is, brilliant speakers for what we do.
Old 15th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ah, but how do they compare to my creative 2.1 system?
Old 16th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman ➑️
Ah, but how do they compare to my creative 2.1 system?
They're nowhere near as 'creative'
Old 16th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
isn't true near at 7 feet, mid at 12?

curious
Old 16th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to ask my question again:

Are LSR 4328 comparable do LSR6328 (but smaller, less SPL, etc)? Or they sound different?

I am talking about everyday mixing for tv/multimedia as well as translation to big cinema room.

I would also like to ask, what is your feeling about JBLs, when you spend hours with editing and designing sounds (not mixing)? Does those speakers make you tired or they are pleased to ears even during the 14th hour of editing?

Kuba
Old 16th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba_Pietrzak ➑️
So, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to ask my question again:

Are LSR 4328 comparable do LSR6328 (but smaller, less SPL, etc)? Or they sound different?

I am talking about everyday mixing for tv/multimedia as well as translation to big cinema room.

I would also like to ask, what is your feeling about JBLs, when you spend hours with editing and designing sounds (not mixing)? Does those speakers make you tired or they are pleased to ears even during the 14th hour of editing?

Kuba
I haven't done an A/B taste test, but I have worked on both. My opinion of the 4328s was that they were decent speakers but not necessarily preferable to the Blue Sky speakers I had at the time. I was working 14 and 15 hour days for several weeks in a row when I used the 4328s and I wasn't aware of any ear fatigue caused by the particular brand and model speakers themselves. I should say that all the speakers I have been working with had been EQed to reproduce the entire frequency spectrum correctly, so any nonlinearities had been removed.

The main thing I'm noticing with the 6328s is that they reproduce dynamic sounds like gun shots, explos, car crashes, fight sounds, big music cues, etc very robustly. They sound punchy and massive just like they do on a large dub stage. I played back a Western feature on them that I had mixed on a big stage and the guns sound almost identical at my personal studio as they did at the dub stage. That was never the case with my Blue Skys , they always felt a bit held back (I can't comment on the 4328s in that regard, because the project I used them on was dialog driven). The only difference is that the the subs on the dub stage bloomed a bit more because of large room acoustics, but my pant cuffs were still fluttering in my studio. It also feels like there is additional clarity at all volumes, but that is just an impression.
Old 16th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks a lot Gary for all explanations.

This is exactly, what I wanted to know.

It is really great to hear, that they do not cause any ear fatigue, even during long hours of working.

best regards,
Kuba
Old 17th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
For the sake of piling on, that was my impression as well - big explosions and impacts feel like they aren't taxing these speakers at all - "that's all you've got?" My previous monitors were near fields (similar in spec to the 4300's) that I had too far away so at the top of the scale you could hear a bit of break up, brittleness, and even the odd bit of bottom end distortion. These beasts were like night and day difference.

So much power/headroom that everything just feels crisp and reproduced with accuracy and warmth.

I dont run a room EQ, and tried to use the RMC built in to the 6328Ps but in the end preferred it switched off and just used the roll off filters to tailor them into their front wall positions. I only have 3 of them up front, use other speakers for my surrounds.
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
tried to use the RMC built in to the 6328Ps but in the end preferred it switched off
We experimented with the 4328Ps in two different rooms. In the really nice Storyk-designed big control room they sounded good. Then we ran the RMC and they sounded great. Something about the width of the sonic image and the overall tightness was improved.

I would like to hear more from anyone who has auditioned the same material on both the 4328Ps and the 6328Ps.
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I own the 4328 and Ive listened to the 6328s a lot in another studio and I would say they are pretty close until you get to the low mids and below. Then the 6328s have more flat extension. The 4328's tend to have a wee bit of bump in the bass. I love the 6328's bass response.
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks JSt0rm!

I bought the JBL 4312SP sub and listened a lot with and without bass management. Since then, I've left bass management on all the time. The system is more powerful, and it feels more like the terrifically clear bass I got used to while using Barefoots for a project once.
πŸ“ Reply