Quantcast
Sound One?? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sound One??
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Sound One was operating in Times Square. The rents there aren't necessarily representative of all of NYC.
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundGuyIC ➑️
Sound One was operating in Times Square. The rents there aren't necessarily representative of all of NYC.
Which is probably why they shut the company own.
Maybe their goal s to dump the expensive rental space, and re-open in a newer, less expensive space.
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
^^^ I hope so.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman ➑️
Which is probably why they shut the company own.
Maybe their goal s to dump the expensive rental space, and re-open in a newer, less expensive space.
That may be someone's goal, but not Empire Holdings.
Old 27th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
A travesty

I've been really good friends with the guy that has run Sound One for over 3 decades. It's been a difficult road in recent years, losing business to Canada, New Zealand etc, but they weren't about to fold as far as I know. Empire bought it and dismantled it inside a week. You just don't slay an entire staff in one day, all on the same day. They know absolutely NOTHING of relationships that drive this type of business. Whatever Empire does from here on out, I hope they fall flat and lose a bazillion dollars and then go straight to h-e-double hockey sticks, with gasoline drawers on.

Incredible. Just ****ing incredible.

Edited: No, they are NOT planning on opening another space under the name SoundOne in NYC.

Un****ingbelievable.
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Fleischman ➑️
That may be someone's goal, but not Empire Holdings.
+1. Someone with a vision, and someone with money to build new stages. I think that's what's needed now. Now where to find millions of dollars.......
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Vision? A vision to trash the careers of 40+ staff on the same day... Something's fishy...
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The problem is Investment companies buying post studios.
Never works imho.
Hopefully some of those staff get together and build a studio and stick it to the man.

Sent from my GT-N7000
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBANGBUZZ ➑️
The problem is Investment companies buying post studios.
Never works imho.
Hopefully some of those staff get together and build a studio and stick it to the man.

Sent from my GT-N7000
Even if this does happen, there is going to be a serious hole in NYCs ability to take on audio post work. There are definitely post houses that can do some of the jobs that could have been done at Sound One, but not nearly at the same volume.

Not to mention all the work that was currently at Sound One that must be on some kind of hold. It's a tough situation all around and an undeniably **** move on the part of Empire.
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
We're Studio one a competitor to another empire business?

Sent from my GT-N7000
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Just to clarify I wasn't suggesting Empire has vision. The opposite in fact. Im saying that in moving forward its going to be necessary to have someone who has a vision to change things for the better.
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedantic Sound ➑️
Not to mention all the work that was currently at Sound One that must be on some kind of hold. It's a tough situation all around and an undeniably **** move on the part of Empire.
That seems to be strange that they would damage relations with all of those clients. Regardless of sound one closing, if those movies miss their delivery deadlines they lose big money.
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is huge news. Sound One was the place that made NYC a serious place for the highest-level films. I haven't been everywhere in the city, but that's the only facility I know of that had big, theatrical mix stages. Am I wrong? Does Kaufman-Astoria have something I don't know about?
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Could more bank for buck using the real estate to build a Trader Joes.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratepost ➑️
Could more bank for buck using the real estate to build a Trader Joes.
Exactly. I understand the rent they were paying was astronomical.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman ➑️
This is huge news. Sound One was the place that made NYC a serious place for the highest-level films. I haven't been everywhere in the city, but that's the only facility I know of that had big, theatrical mix stages. Am I wrong? Does Kaufman-Astoria have something I don't know about?
Well, there are still a few fairly large stages in NYC. Sync Sound and Soundtrack come to mind. But nothing with the capacity or pedigree that Sound One had. I can't imagine rebuilding a facility like Sound One from scratch with NYC real estate being the way it is. It really is the end of an era.

However, the talent hasn't gone anywhere, so that gives me hope.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecRoom ➑️

However, the talent hasn't gone anywhere, so that gives me hope.
That's my point.
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That's my point.
I'm sure the talent has networked and will take the work to another studio or... There own

Sent from my GT-N7000
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The talent is a "tribe in search of a home." Yes, the whole place was shut down even though there were projects in progress. Believe it. I understand they were downsizing...but to have the company sold to a bunch of beasts... jeez. It's like when Geffen bought MCA, back when...
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Who benefits?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruy ➑️
Who benefits?
That's what I would like to know.
The main reason post in New York is of course talent, but also because the filmmakers live on the east coast. I doubt any of that work will be coming out west.
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Several NYC recording Studios have scene the same scenario over the past few years. Even though the businesses are profitable they are not as valuable as the real estate.
Old 9th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The thing that blew my mind was that the place had 100 editing suites.
Seriously?
What a waste of rent each month.
Dump 90 of them, keep 3 of the stages.
But 100 edit suites and 5 dub stages at astronomical New York rents?
That's simply nonsense from a business point of view. And obviously Empire thought so as well.
Old 9th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That's insane... Most sound editors or designers I know do there editing from home.
Or from a small set-up outside the cbd.

Sent from my GT-N7000
Old 10th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is sad.

One thing strikes me as odd though.. Didn't the post-community see the writing on the wall or did they (again) think that this time is gonna be different?

EXACTLY the same happened what - a decade or so? - ago with the big 'sound hotels'. Think Hit Factory, Sony Studios NYC etc. etc.

What made the post guys ignore all that? IMO it was crystal clear for all the time that the whole things like studios downsizing because of business not good as it was, exploding rental costs, no need for edit suites since everybody and their mother can edit at home nowadays etc. will eventually affect the post industry in the same way it affected the music industry.

Only the bandwidth of internet connections was not feasible 10 years ago.
Now, it is.
Prepare for a lot more of those facilities closing / downsizing etc.
Also from a operator's POV. Just look at what Dean Humphrey posted. They sat in front of the huge Euphonics console and used almost no console processing.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
the show I am working on at the moment did our first temp dub at Sound One, and their closing was really a pretty big deal for us.

I am not sure of they had 100 edit rooms or not, but their facility was certainly a nice one and the people there were very, very kind and good.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Seriously?
That's simply nonsense from a business point of view. And obviously Empire thought so as well.
I understood the 100 suites mention more as the amount of rooms they could provide. Meaning - edit suites at the Brill Building (I'm imagining a dozen at the most) plus all their freelancers (with their own rooms) adds up to 100 available rooms.

Maybe Tom can clarify if he can still stomach reading this thread.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Seriously?
I was there a few years ago and I didn't see that kind of space. There are a number of rental production spaces within a few blocks of Sound One so it's possible they are including those in their full capacity.

It is a nice space no doubt, but certainly not what I would consider a bloated and unnecessarily large facility. It just happens to be smack dab in the center of the real estate universe.
Old 11th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Did sound one own the space or were they leasing it?

If they owned the space then it would really make sense, but I guess even if they were leasing it, it could be financially viable to buy them to take over the lease at the current lease rate.

It sounds like the Post Facility was just something that was in their way of creating something else in that space.

Think of it this way... If one of us had a post facility and were financially ready to expand, and we saw an amazing location and space but it was being rented by a tailor or cobbler, would we as a company think twice about buying out the cobbler/tailor's business to get the space? Probably not. The post facility would probably make in a couple months what the cobbler/taillor business makes all year. So it seems like a smart business decision to purchase the business to get the space, especially if we think the location will help bring in even more business.

We might not even know they were one of the last world renowned custom cobbler/tailor's in the city. We just need the space and so be it. Business is business sometimes. It sucks but it happens.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…