Quantcast
Soundminer HD vs Basehead - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundminer HD vs Basehead
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Soundminer HD vs Basehead

I'm not sure if any of you use Soundminer HD or Basehead but I'm in the process of comparing the two. We currently use Basehead but I'm trialling Soundminer HD as a possible alternative.

So far I'm loving Soundminer HD but one major issue I've yet to overcome is metadata related I think... possibly. I don't know a lot about this stuff and I'm trying to work out exactly how it all works and what the issue is.

Basically, when I import all our libraries into Basehead the "Category" and "Folder" fields are populated. The "Library" and "Location" fields are not though.

However, when I import all our libraries into Soundminer the "Category" field is empty. There's no option to display a "Folder" option and "Location" field is empty.
The "Library" field is empty for all libraries except 3 (in Basehead it's empty for all libraries).

I can only assume there is some difference in the way these two programs import information because they're importing the same files but displaying different information. Ideally I need to be able to sort by Library and in basehead the "Category" field essentially shows the library name so I can do that. At the moment I can't find any way of getting Soundminer to show anything useful for sorting by Library as it's failing to import any information about folders, library names or locations.

I'm prepared to go through and set up metadata for each library if I need to but I don't really understand why there's a difference between the two programs to begin with and I definitely don't understand much about metadata or how to use it properly. This is a good learning exercise for me

Any comments or help MUCH appreciated
Old 25th September 2012
Deleted e479b20
if those fields are empty I guess your files don't contain any data in the meta-data fields.
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e479b20 ➡️
if those fields are empty I guess your files don't contain any data in the meta-data fields.
But they're not empty in both programs which is why I'm confused...

Also, I can't work out how to add the metadata if that's the case What programs would you guys recommend for editing metadata for wavs on PC?
Old 25th September 2012
Deleted e479b20
you can edit your meta-data in soundminer. check out the manual. sm has very powerfull batch-editing functions. too much options to describe in a forum posting.

after filling in the data select "embed" and sm will embed the data to your files.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…