Quantcast
Sending and receiving large files - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sending and receiving large files
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sending and receiving large files

Hey Gearslutz, I have a long distance project coming up, and I'd like to know what some of you are using to send and receive files larger than 2 gigs. Both Yousendit and Dropbox seem to have a 2 gig limit on uploads. Even with the pro package, you get more storage, but the upload is still limited to 2 gigs. Any suggestions?
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
As omfs are limited to a file size of 2gb as well, I tell long distance clients to export multiple omfs (i.e. split the project by either by channel count or time). Usually, they are also 'kind' enough to send me the most horribly compressed video reference, so that doesn't come close to hit the 2gb cap anyways. Then they send me multiple files via yousendit, wetransfer, or dropbox..

But to answer your question: google drive allows for individual file sizes up to 10gb; you'll have to pay for it though, as the free version caps at 5gb.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thumbdrive and FedEx. Probably faster for 2+ Gig files if you're stuck with DSL. And since YouSendIt had problems today, perhaps a bit more reliable?
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ftp via your own site?
Old 18th September 2012
Deleted e479b20
aspera. pretty much standard among bigger pro studios. no size limit. faster than any other consumer cloud service.
or ftp if you live with moderate speed and no encryption.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I use gobbler to send big files and it seems to work pretty well. It also doubles as a backup system. It's also quite affordable.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hmm, here's a support reply I got from Dropbox last December:

Stefano - Dropbox Support, Dec-29 10:36 am (PST):
Hi Sean,

Thank you for writing to Dropbox and I apologize for the delay in responding. There is no limit to the size of the files that you can place in your Dropbox! You can upload files of any size!

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help you.

Best,
Stefano

I've never verified this as to this point I haven't needed to transfer anything larger than 2GB. Anybody with a paid Dropbox account tried it?
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q ➡️
aspera. pretty much standard among bigger pro studios. no size limit. faster than any other consumer cloud service.
or ftp if you live with moderate speed and no encryption.
^This
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks all. I'll look into these options. Fedex might be cost prohibitive since the project in coming from Nigeria.
Old 18th September 2012
+1 on Gobbler!
Really fast upload comparing to dropbox or other cloud services, DAW oriented with great features and super as a backup solution in the case that your HD fries!
Old 18th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Since I started using Gobbler I haven't had any need to use anything else - it just works and is specifically designed for sharing large media files. Definitely worth checking out! gobbler.com
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
+1 for Gobbler. I used to use YouSendIt, and then Dropbox, but I've been using Gobbler almost exclusively since it came out, except for certain clients with specific requirements, like FTP. It's been excellent, mainly because it's specifically tailored to producers and engineers, so you don't have the shortcomings I've run into with other services. It backs up my sessions as I work, and since the files are already stored in the cloud, it makes sending them to someone an almost instantaneous convenience. It's also nice knowing I can restore a session with a few clicks if something catastrophic should happen, like a bad drive or a corrupted session.

Hope this helps.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
+1 on gobbler. I do use dropbox it for some drum samples etc but for sending big files and backing up stuff gobbler is the best !
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've never verified this as to this point I haven't needed to transfer anything larger than 2GB. Anybody with a paid Dropbox account tried it?
Yep. I have a few 4GB and 6GB ZIP files for a classical client on Dropbox. Works fine.
Old 18th September 2012
Deleted 966f7b3
I do Dropbox for a lot of my deliveries, and set up shared folders for longer-term projects, making element delivery really simple.

For bigger files, I've set up an old Mac Mini running Pure-FTPd (free FTP server), which has worked really well thus far.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hi guys!

Really stoked that you brought up file transfer and totally appreciate the Gobbler love.

I'm the community manager at Gobbler and there are some benefits to using Gobbler for these types of large file transfer. I'll bullet them out because I hate to read paragraphs and I'm sure most of you do as well.

1. Gobbler encrypts your files from the client side versus other services like FTP, Dropbox, and yousendit which encrypt your files only once they have left your computer.

2. We don't throttle your bandwidth... Many other services do this for optimal performance to their own servers.

3. We use an audio friendly compression algorithm that compresses your files by 50%, which in turn leads to much much faster transfers. We also run an error check to make sure your files are bit for bit exact to the original file.

4. NO FILE SIZE LIMIT... Well, I lied... The file size limit is 65TB. I pray that no one is trying to send a session folder over 65TB :p If you are, let us know, I would like to shake your hand!!!

5. Deduplication: Once a file has been sent through Gobbler, there is never any need to reupload that file to the cloud. The same goes for file downloads.

6. We are building a service specifically for project file transfer/backup/organization. We've spent the last couple of years building out features for the audio community and we're not done yet. Almost every feature has been built from the feedback of our vocal supporters. Most of our team is made up of media creators and we take special care to listen and build something that is useful to you!

Thanks for listening to this rant.

-Andrew Reinfeld
Community Manager at Gobbler
http://gobbler.com
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
With gobbler, do clients need to download the gobbler software in order to receive files?
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
wetransfer.com let's you freely send up to 2GB files, no account required. Remember to zip things first as it offers quicker/more efficient transfers.

FTP works well, dependent on speeds.

Amazon S3 has public options as well.

I agree Aspera is standard now, though it's expensive. It is safer though.

Flash drive is best with larger stuff.

Remember that other countries sometimes don't share our internet speeds and thus can take weeks to download something like a GB
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecRoom ➡️
I use gobbler to send big files and it seems to work pretty well. It also doubles as a backup system. It's also quite affordable.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecRoom ➡️
With gobbler, do clients need to download the gobbler software in order to receive files?
there is a option to send a "public link". If not chosen the receiver will need an account and the client.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This part of Gobbler's Terms of Service sounds very disturbing:

Therefore, by making your Customer Content available for uploading, posting, hosting or displaying through the Customer Content, you grant to Gobbler a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, sublicensable license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, transfer, display, perform, store, distribute and otherwise use the Customer Content,

While so many folks are raving about Gobbler all I can say is that under these TOS I wouldn't touch it even with a barge pole. Seriously! None of my clients would trust me if they read this!

How are you guys putting up with that?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vytis ➡️

Therefore, by making your Customer Content available for uploading, posting, hosting or displaying through the Customer Content, you grant to Gobbler a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, sublicensable license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, transfer, display, perform, store, distribute and otherwise use the Customer Content,

While so many folks are raving about Gobbler all I can say is that under these TOS I wouldn't touch it even with a barge pole. Seriously! None of my clients would trust me if they read this!

To be Honest? I never read the gobbler Terms of Service. Or from Google, Apple, etc... Will it make any difference?
I`m trying to think about, why gobbler will need to "a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, sublicensable license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, transfer, display, perform, store, distribute and otherwise use the Customer Content"? This is a question to they rep here. Andrew.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Gobbler TOS [what you should know]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vytis ➡️

[Hi! This is Chris Kantrowitz CEO of Gobbler. I am reposting this from another thread]

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to take this opportunity to address your concerns about our TOS.

I'll get into the legal first but before I do. I think it is important to know who we are as a company and what we stand for. We are media creators just like you. We are not an anonymous band of tech folks looking to find ways to take artists work and make money off of it, look at it, or give it to our friends. We started Gobbler because the people we work with were losing their art due to hard drive failures, lost drives ect. We all know the stories. It was shocking to us to see how often the talented people we know were having to start over because sessions were lost.

I have had the good fortune of spending the last 6 years designing concerts for some of the top artists in the world with my company Frank The Plumber (<--Frank The Plumber-->). My career in this business is only possible because of the trust built between myself and the artists we work with. We work with artists directly each and every year. Music is in our soul and our reputation is everything. Gobbler is a service built by media creators for media creators. $4M has been spent to date building the Gobbler service. It would be money thrown out the door the second we as a company decided to take the files of any of our users. Along with that it would very likely end my career as a concert designer... Something I would sorely miss.

Last year we did get questions about our TOS so I contact our lawyers and asked them to rework it so it gave us the minimum rights required for us to legally run our business.

The TOS we currently have reflects that.

There are always a few key portions of the TOS which get people concerned. So I will address them.

Worldwide = Gobbler provides a globally-available service.
Non-Exclusive = Gobbler can't and won’t prevent you from licensing your data in other ways.
Royalty-Free = You won't charge us for this
Sublicensable = Gobbler need to allow technology partners to copy your data too ie. Amazon where our data is hosted.

We make it clear that Gobbler is invoking this licence only for the purposes of providing the service to users. And that is the scope. The license is for us to provide the service. It does not give us the license to go and sell work if we did that it would be theft and a crime. Gobbler is not a front company for a criminal organization. We have artists who are directly involved in our company. John Legend has joined our board of advisors

Gobbler Hooks Up With Box for More Cloud-Storage Options - Lauren Goode - D10 - AllThingsD

Jared Leto of 30 Seconds to mars has invested in our company. These folks know us we have worked with them and they trust us with their files.

Here is a whole list of other people who trust us.

User Stories | Gobbler Blog

Darryll Thorpe in his video specifically says he doesn’t trust commercial providers but he trusts us. We didn’t hypnotize him or pay him :-).

I understand that the wording in these TOSs seem to ask for a lot but it’s the language required for us to legally run our business. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about the law. But like I said the language does limit us to rights which allows us to provide the service.

We are a venture backed company with artists all over the world using our product. Our investors are respected and have made a bet on a company that hopes to make media creators lives better. One criminal act and all of the work put into the company is done and over. Word would spread like wildfire and we’d never get anyones trust back.

If you chose not to trust the cloud then you should not use the internet. The internet is the cloud. Almost all mail is cloud based. If you use gmail here are the terms of services you agree to:

Your Content in our Services (GOOGLE TOS FOR GMAIL)

Some of our Services allow you to submit content. You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours.
When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our Services (for example, for a business listing you have added to Google Maps). Some Services may offer you ways to access and remove content that has been provided to that Service. Also, in some of our Services, there are terms or settings that narrow the scope of our use of the content submitted in those Services. Make sure you have the necessary rights to grant us this license for any content that you submit to our Services.
You can find more information about how Google uses and stores content in the privacy policy or additional terms for particular Services. If you submit feedback or suggestions about our Services, we may use your feedback or suggestions without obligation to you.

Here is our license:

Limited License to Customer Content. You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in your Customer Content, except as otherwise specifically provided in this Agreement. However, Gobbler needs certain rights to store, transmit, adapt and otherwise use the Customer Content you provide in order to provide you with the Services. Therefore, by making your Customer Content available for uploading, posting, hosting or displaying through the Customer Content, you grant to Gobbler a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, sublicensable license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, transfer, display, perform, store, distribute and otherwise use the Customer Content, solely for the purpose of enabling Gobbler to provide the Service. This license in no way affects the private nature of information you post. You may terminate this license with respect to any particular Customer Content posted to the Site by deleting the information from the Service, except that in the event that another party using the Services has saved the Customer Content and is storing it through the Service, then the license shall continue as needed to continue to provide the Service to such party. Except as terminated as provided herein, the license will be perpetual and irrevocable.

Note a few things:

The section is called a Limited License to Customer Content. Not a License. In the first sentence we state. “ You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in your Customer Content” we make it clear you are the rights holder. We then state we need “certain rights” not all rights just the ones needed for us to “store, transmit, adapt and otherwise use the Customer content in order to provide you with the Services” We define those services at “a proprietary audio file storage and management system that enables customers to store, manage, organize and transfer their audio files (the "Service").” That is what the license allows us to do.

Here is yousendit’s TOS:

YouSendIt does not claim any ownership rights in any User Files that you make available through the Services. However, by making User Files available through the Services, you grant YouSendIt the nonexclusive, worldwide, transferable right, on a royalty-free basis, with a right to sublicense this right only to third parties assisting YouSendIt in providing the Services to use, copy, distribute and process User Files through the Services on your behalf and on behalf of your customers for the purposes of providing you with the Services and administering your requests, including without limitation, facilitating the secure storage, transfer, and delivery of such User Files.

If you use gmail, yahoo mail, hotmail, aol mail, yousendit or any services on the internet where a file is transmitted then these are the TOS’s you are asked to agree to.

Some will say. I’ll just use FTP then. If your FTP is hosted at a place like GoDaddy then you agree to the following terms:

“With Respect to User Content (Other Than User Submissions).
If you have a website hosted by Go Daddy or another service provider, you shall retain all of your ownership or licensed rights in User Content posted to your website.
However, if you post or publish your User Content to this Site, you authorize Go Daddy to use the intellectual property and other proprietary rights in and to your User Content to enable inclusion and use of the User Content in the manner contemplated by this Site and this Agreement. Accordingly, you hereby grant Go Daddy a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicensable (through multiple tiers), and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, combine with other works, display, and perform your User Content in connection with this Site and Go Daddy’s (and Go Daddy’s affiliates’) business(es), including without limitation for promoting and redistributing all or part of this Site in any media formats and through any media channels without restrictions of any kind and without payment or other consideration of any kind, or permission or notification, to you or any third party. You also hereby grant each User of this Site a non-exclusive license to access your User Content (with the exception of User Content that you designate “private” or “password protected”) through this Site, and to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, combine with other works, display, and perform your User Content as permitted through the functionality of this Site and under this Agreement. The above licenses granted by you in your User Content terminate within a commercially reasonable time after you remove or delete your User Content from this Site. You understand and agree, however, that Go Daddy may retain (but not distribute, display, or perform) server copies of your User Content that have been removed or deleted. The above licenses granted by you in your User Content are perpetual and irrevocable. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein, Go Daddy shall not use any User Content that has been designated “private” or “password protected” by you for the purpose of promoting this Site or Go Daddy’s (or Go Daddy’s affiliates’) business(es).

I know this is a long answer but I want to make it clear to anyone who reads this that we are not asking for anything more then we need to run the business. Once you understand that then it’s always important to know who you are doing business with. If you don’t think Gobbler as an organization is trustworthy then all I can ask you to do is watch us, keep an eye on our company as we grow, look to see who uses us and know that we are in this for the long haul. We love what we do and we want to be around for a long time. Trust but verify, that’s a good way to look at life.

If you actually read this entire response you are a hero. Thank you for taking the time to do so.

Chris
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbler Press ➡️
If you actually read this entire response you are a hero. Thank you for taking the time to do so.
Yay - I'm a hero!

Oh, and thank you Chris for the clarification of the TOS.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the clarification Chris.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thanks Chris.

Could you please elaborate on the 'sublicensable' point?

Also, why you would need the license to 'perform' and 'publish' the user's content.

I fully undrstand that there are legal reasons for most of your points, but I fail to see those for the points mentioned above.

That being said, I'm sure you guys mean good. As does/did Google. Does 'don't be evil' ring a bell?

I for one won't trust any cloud service for my backup.
If you store your sensible data in the cloud, it's no longer under your control, you're right about that.

It's conveniant, but, having been a pro sys/net-admin in my former career, I am extremely sensible here.

A good read on what can go wrong (and, according to Murphy, inevitably eventually will go wrong):

Emptyage &mdash; Yes, I was hacked. Hard.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcutz ➡️
To be Honest? I never read the gobbler Terms of Service. Or from Google, Apple, etc... Will it make any difference?

No, just move along.

All your bases are belong to us.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Chris, another question:

You sure are aware that Dropbox was hacked a while back:

Dropbox: Yes, we were hacked &mdash; Cloud Computing News

Do you guys offer a two-factor authentication option?

And I guess if the login is hacked, you have access to the data in plaintext, or do you still need a seperate private key to decrypt the content?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator ➡️
Chris, another question:

You sure are aware that Dropbox was hacked a while back:

Dropbox: Yes, we were hacked &mdash; Cloud Computing News

Do you guys offer a two-factor authentication option?

And I guess if the login is hacked, you have access to the data in plaintext, or do you still need a seperate private key to decrypt the content?
Yes! We do offer two-factor authentication. We have had it for over a year. We take security and privacy very seriously at Gobbler. We have a lot of important data sitting on our servers and we don't want it getting out into the wrong hands.

On the question of the login being hacked are you asking what happens if someone figures out how to log into your account? Let me know.

Thanks!

Chris
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator ➡️
thanks Chris.

Could you please elaborate on the 'sublicensable' point?

Also, why you would need the license to 'perform' and 'publish' the user's content.

I fully undrstand that there are legal reasons for most of your points, but I fail to see those for the points mentioned above.

That being said, I'm sure you guys mean good. As does/did Google. Does 'don't be evil' ring a bell?

I for one won't trust any cloud service for my backup.
If you store your sensible data in the cloud, it's no longer under your control, you're right about that.

It's conveniant, but, having been a pro sys/net-admin in my former career, I am extremely sensible here.

A good read on what can go wrong (and, according to Murphy, inevitably eventually will go wrong):

Emptyage &mdash; Yes, I was hacked. Hard.
All good questions. I am not a lawyer but I play one on the internet :-) I think the thing that gets most attention is the word license as it gives the idea that we are asking asking for some right which would allow us to use your material. Which is why we state "You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in your Customer Content". The reason the rights we ask for need to be sublicensable is that once we transmit a file you are sending through another service we have to grant them the right to receive it. So for example we use Amazon for our storage, in order for us to store these files we need to grant Amazon a sublicense for them to store the material. All services need the right to sublicense or we would not be able to transmit any data at all.

As to the words preform or publish the key is not to look at it in music industry terms. We are not publishing your songs in the way a music publisher would. By definition the word publish here means the ability to distribute ie giving us the right to send a file from you to someone else. The language used in TOSs in general have words which overlap and have different meanings as it relates to music VS cloud computing. Which is why we are very clear about copyright ownership. We have to economic rights to anyones files. We only ask for the ability to store and transmit them. If we were in the business of doing anything nefarious we would get a way with it once or twice then we would be out of business. There are plenty of companies out there who would love our customers and would love to see us mess up by doing something that goes completely against our ethics, principals and foundation.

We are looking to build a company which will support the needs of media creators for a long long time.

I understand your concern with the cloud. But the reality is..In a digital world you will very likely send a file over a service and you will be subject to a TOS and very likely it will ask for more not less then ours. So it comes down to who you can trust. Most companies are not in the business of trying to sabotage their businesses. I would recommend choosing services from people who are transparent, available and trustworthy. That's what we are as a company.

Chris
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…