Quantcast
Moving to 5.1 surround. Dynaudio BM12a a good choice? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moving to 5.1 surround. Dynaudio BM12a a good choice?
Old 17th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
5.1 setup. Is Dynaudio BM12a a good choice?

I have a stereo pair of dynaudio BM12a and considering to get a 5.1 setup. Is this the way to go? I like the overall sound, but feel that there is something with the bass and low mids, and dialog feels to bright with reference to blu-ray. As if the amp isn't powerful enough and underpowering the woofer.

Is Dynaudio BM6 mk1 a better monitor?

I like the sound but just need some advice on what to invest in. I am also open for other monitors.

Last edited by faskatt; 21st September 2012 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: Better title
Old 21st September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Bump
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I personally have a BM6A 5.1 setup with old version (100 watts x 2) and for a small room setup it does a decent job but they're not designed to provide extreme low end or a lot of power. I got a 7070A sub and used its built-in x-over and that made all the difference in the world. I tried the Dyn subs but they weren't as linear as the Genelec, and the 7060 was somewhat anemic... The 7070A's xover Fq is 85 Hz (not adjustable) but it does a great job of picking up where the BM6A's give out and as a result I can get more power out of the entire system.

However, the 5.1 spec calls for 20-20k full range speakers for all 5, so working the way I do is out of spec. I don't do enough 5.1 work to change my entire setup and the results I've had for the few theatrical trailers I've done worked out fine. If you're planning on making 5.1 your bread and butter, I'd say you'd be better off setting up with 5 real full-range speakers and a good sub. Maybe the larger BM15A's might work (which I've never heard) or another brand altogether. You'll also need a good room, which is a whole other topic... I hope some of this helps.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by faskatt ➡️
I have a stereo pair of dynaudio BM12a and considering to get a 5.1 setup. Is this the way to go? I like the overall sound, but feel that there is something with the bass and low mids, and dialog feels to bright with reference to blu-ray. As if the amp isn't powerful enough and underpowering the woofer.

Is Dynaudio BM6 mk1 a better monitor?

I like the sound but just need some advice on what to invest in. I am also open for other monitors.
A couple people here say that the JBL 4300 series translates pretty well to the bigger dubstages. But I think in the end it is really what you are familiar with.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I use 5 BM15A-s and a BM14S sub, fed discretely, no bass management. My room translates very well to big theatrical stages.
Old 1st October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm considering the Dynaudio BM6 (old version) because it's cheaper. I can't afford full range speakers. I need a good starting point for a 5.1 setup. How is the low end compared to Dynaudio BM12A? I have also heard that the newer BM series isn't as good as the older.
Old 2nd October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I use 5 BM15A-s and a BM14S sub, fed discretely, no bass management. My room translates very well to big theatrical stages.
I'm glad you like it. We use 3 front M3 and 6 x BM6 for the rear speakers in the main post studio. We are planning to buy 3 x BM15A, the BM14s and 4 or 6 x BM5 for the rear speakers for a new mixing room. I really like Dynaudio.
Old 4th October 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Well, talking about it really makes no difference. If you have a chance go to a place where you can test it and switch between them on the fly. I drove 600km to thomann.de. There you have a nice room with switching system. From 30 speakers the best sounding to my ears was ADAM A7X though they were 3 times cheaper than some.

Another aspect of dolby is if you want to get any dolby licence I would recommend you to check their speaker recommendation. And don't forget the most important thing as Etch-A-Sketch said:

Quote:
But I think in the end it is really what you are familiar with.
I've heard disaster mixes coming from studios where they have all money can buy. Doesn't help

Br,
Dali
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I've found the JBL 6328's translate very well to a larger film theatre
📝 Reply