Quantcast
Pro Tools - My OMFs are filled with "sample accurates" - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro Tools - My OMFs are filled with "sample accurates"
Old 16th September 2012
  #1
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Pro Tools - My OMFs are filled with "sample accurates"

Hi everyone,
this is my first time posting on gearslutz, which is such an awesome site!
I recently began doing some foley work for the first time and am learning alot about protools. I have been sending OMFs to a client and everything is going well except that when he opens up the OMF, the session is filled with a bunch of tiny "sample accurates" like shrapnel througout the session. I started to do a shift command B + shift command U, to clear out the regions bin, and that helped a bit. I also began consolidating each clip that i was recording, which again made things a bit cleaner. My client is still complaining that there are tons of little sample accurates in the session though...

to be honest i'm not even sure what a "sampe accurate" is. does anyone know how to eliminate them?

I am using protools10 on windows, and my client is using protools 9HD.

-thanks,
-Gaelan Mullins
Old 16th September 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Pedantic Sound's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm167704 ➑️
I am using protools10 on windows, and my client is using protools 9HD.

-thanks,
-Gaelan Mullins
Is he using PT9 on a Mac?
Old 16th September 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
If you're both using Pro Tools, why are you sending an OMF?

Just send the session folder, but be sure to zip it first....PT session docs don't seem to like to be transferred over the net.

Best,

Joe
Old 16th September 2012
  #4
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Just do a "save session copy" - select Pro Tools 7-9 format (.ptf), and check the box to copy the audio files. Zip up the whole thing and send it. OMF should really only be used to share with non-Pro Tools software.
Old 16th September 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
hociman's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Lightbulb Sample Accurate Edits

Do you have "Enforce AVID compatibility" enabled?

Sample accurate edits are created when any of the source region boundaries do not fall on the edge of a timecode frame. So if you have an edit that is halfway between 01:02:03:04 and 01:02:03:05, it will place a sample accurate edit region to fill-out the edit to the nearest timecode frame.

If you are working with another Pro Tools user, just send the sessions back-and-forth.
Old 8th November 2012
  #6
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Hey Everyone,
Thanks alot for all the posts! Pedantic Sound, - Yeah he is using PT9 with a MAC.

JoeMilner - I am not sure why he wants me to send him.OMFs, I think for one thing a compressed .OMF is a much smaller file than a zipped session folder (I may be wrong on that), and therefore transfers a lot faster and with less hassle?

NJfour - Thanks man, i'll give that a try and see if it works for him

Hociman - yeah i do have enforce AVID compatibility selected - AHHHH, yeah your explanation makes sense thanks for that
Old 8th November 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
OK, Gobbler for windows is out so this can work nicely:

Save a session copy as PT9 format.
Use gobbler (register on Gobbler.com) to send the session to him, gobbler will send every file automatically.
He does his thing and sends it back to you via gobbler.
Repeat.

Gobbler is great because it uses some software magic-trickery to save you from uploading and downloading files that already exist on their servers, so only new audio and other modified files are transferred.
Old 8th November 2012 | Show parent
  #8
Deleted e479b20
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm167704 ➑️
JoeMilner - I am not sure why he wants me to send him.OMFs, I think for one thing a compressed .OMF is a much smaller file than a zipped session folder (I may be wrong on that), and therefore transfers a lot faster and with less hassle?
Sorry, but that's total nonsense.

Why would anyone want to lose almost all pans, plugins, multi-channel-tracks and all automation by using OMF instead of the original session?

Your own posting is proof that the hassle could not be bigger.

It's a bit like trying to eat soup using a fork.
Old 8th November 2012 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q ➑️
Why would anyone want to lose almost all pans, plugins, multi-channel-tracks and all automation by using OMF instead of the original session?
Because

a) The next studio down the line might not have the same selection of plug-ins.

b) The OP was asking about foley. Panning, processing, and levels will be done on the rerecording stage, not during a foley edit.
  • If you are going to use plug-ins or want to pan/process/whatever, it's a lot safer and more flexible to print the effect... and also supply a mirror track.
c) Not everyone on the planet loves ProTools for every job. Some fully professional and competent studios don't even own it, and some of us have found it faster - on some projects - to convert incoming PT sessions to OMF just so we could continue in Nuendo.

YMMV. But why make it harder for others?
Old 8th November 2012 | Show parent
  #10
Deleted e479b20
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rose ➑️
Because

a) The next studio down the line might not have the same selection of plug-ins.

b) The OP was asking about foley. Panning, processing, and levels will be done on the rerecording stage, not during a foley edit.
  • If you are going to use plug-ins or want to pan/process/whatever, it's a lot safer and more flexible to print the effect... and also supply a mirror track.
c) Not everyone on the planet loves ProTools for every job. Some fully professional and competent studios don't even own it, and some of us have found it faster - on some projects - to convert incoming PT sessions to OMF just so we could continue in Nuendo.

YMMV. But why make it harder for others?
You might want to read the OP again.
The OP is working on PT and his client as well but they are exchanging sessions via OMF!
Makes no sense at all to exchange sessions via OMF. Hence my comment.
Old 8th November 2012 | Show parent
  #11
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q ➑️
You might want to read the OP again.
The OP is working on PT and his client as well but they are exchanging sessions via OMF!
Makes no sense at all to exchange sessions via OMF. Hence my comment.
Point taken, thanks for the advice, i'll talk to him about sending session data and see what he says

Concerning the size of the file however, Transferring the entire sessions folder is around 1.2 Gigs of data, where as transferring the .omf was around 320MB. We don't really need animations/plugins/fades and whatnot - because it's foley Its really pretty straight forward stuff. the sound designer prefers to add all the plugins and what not later.
Concerning adding effects to the foley i really just need to eq it and denoise it -
I use RXdenoiser, not as a plug ins, and high and low shelf EQ and render the files. the effects are therefore baked in and it's all ready to go. Maybe it doesn't make sense in some respects but the file size is much smaller for transfer right - quicker and dirtier?
The original question was if there was someway to eliminate these sample accurates, which seem to be the only thing which is a hassle in the process...maybe saving as a PT9 session and sending it VIA gobbler would be a good idea - gobbler looks pretty awesome.


-Galen

PS. I am sending the foley to the SFX designer, who goes through it before sending it to the sound designer BTW - maybe the word "client" was somewhat misleading in retrospect
Old 8th November 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Just do it right and there will really be no file size difference.
Old 8th November 2012 | Show parent
  #13
Deleted e479b20
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm167704 ➑️
Point taken, thanks for the advice, i'll talk to him about sending session data and see what he says

Concerning the size of the file however, Transferring the entire sessions folder is around 1.2 Gigs of data, where as transferring the .omf was around 320MB. We don't really need animations/plugins/fades and whatnot - because it's foley Its really pretty straight forward stuff. the sound designer prefers to add all the plugins and what not later.
Concerning adding effects to the foley i really just need to eq it and denoise it -
I use RXdenoiser, not as a plug ins, and high and low shelf EQ and render the files. the effects are therefore baked in and it's all ready to go. Maybe it doesn't make sense in some respects but the file size is much smaller for transfer right - quicker and dirtier?
The original question was if there was someway to eliminate these sample accurates, which seem to be the only thing which is a hassle in the process...maybe saving as a PT9 session and sending it VIA gobbler would be a good idea - gobbler looks pretty awesome.


-Galen

PS. I am sending the foley to the SFX designer, who goes through it before sending it to the sound designer BTW - maybe the word "client" was somewhat misleading in retrospect
It's because OMF only sends what's on your tracks. the session folder contains every file in your project.
you might want to read the protools manual. search for export selected tracks as session.
Old 9th November 2012 | Show parent
  #14
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q ➑️
It's because OMF only sends what's on your tracks. the session folder contains every file in your project.
you might want to read the protools manual. search for export selected tracks as session.
AH I see what you mean now. thanks a lot for the help...
I started using Protools about 3 months ago in order to get the work, and have been flying by the seat of my pants with it ever since. Once I get a day off I'll definitely take your advice and dust off yea olde manual
-Galen Mullins
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 295 views: 73842
Avatar for anguswoodhead
anguswoodhead 26th March 2013
replies: 15929 views: 1532163
Avatar for Ragan
Ragan 11th January 2019
replies: 1296 views: 181074
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump