Smaller speakers for 5.1 rears. Works? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Smaller speakers for 5.1 rears. Works?
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Smaller speakers for 5.1 rears. Works?

Hello everyone,

Some of this has been discussed in a couple other threads, yet opinions really don't seam to lean towards any particular side, so I'm hoping that creating a new thread will shed new information.

Currently I'm using a pair of KRK's VXT6 and the 10S sub. I'm planning on adding a center channel and L-R rears for surround mixing for film/video.

I know for sure that I'll get another VXT6 for the center channel, but about the L-R rears:

- how well would I do with VXT4's for the L-R rears?

- Looking at tech specs on KRK's website, other than size and output power mismatch, frequency response appears to be the same in the high end, and slightly different in the low end (VXT6: 49Hz - 22kHz against VXT 4: 66Hz - 22kHz). Is this difference in low frequency reproduction too critical?

- Power output wise, the VXT6 provides twice the amount than the VXT4. Is this something that can be worked out with level calibration?

In summary, the main question is:

- how critical is having the L-R rears match the 3 front speakers in film/video audio post/mixing?

Thanks in advance for your help and information.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have matched 8's in LCR and a pair of 5's in the rear without any problems. Of course matched all around would be the best case scenario.

Sent from my DROIDX
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cananball ➡️
I have matched 8's in LCR and a pair of 5's in the rear without any problems. Of course matched all around would be the best case scenario.

Sent from my DROIDX
Thanks, that's good info. Especially since you went from, I'm assuming 8" cone front speakers to 5" cone rears which is 1 more inch than going from 6 to 4 inches.
📝 Reply