Trim vs Clip Gain when gain staging.... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trim vs Clip Gain when gain staging....
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Trim vs Clip Gain when gain staging....

Sup Slutz,

I found that ever since clip gain became available in PT10 I don't really ever feel the need to trim anymore to get the gain staging I want. But when it comes right down to it... its essentially the same thing right? Just with a better visual representation and more flexibility when doing under the microscope work. When working with dialogue I also feel like I automate (draw in) allot more clip gain info than I ever did with trim when removing nuances or leveling out really dynamic performances. This also means that there is a deal less fader riding and compression later. Works for me but I would be interested to hear your take on the matter
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocamycola89 ➡️
Sup Slutz,

I found that ever since clip gain became available in PT10 I don't really ever feel the need to trim anymore to get the gain staging I want. But when it comes right down to it... its essentially the same thing right? Just with a better visual representation and more flexibility when doing under the microscope work. When working with dialogue I also feel like I automate (draw in) allot more clip gain info than I ever did with trim when removing nuances or leveling out really dynamic performances. This also means that there is a deal less fader riding and compression later. Works for me but I would be interested to hear your take on the matter
What do you mean by Trim? Are you talking about the trim plugin, or trimming the volume automation? There can be a difference in that clip gain will be pre plugins which could cause your audio to hit compressors or other dynamic processors differently, whereas volume automation is post plugins. I really like Clip Gain, and find it to be a major game changer in our workflow, but for fine tuning I still either grab a fader and trim the volume automation, or I edit the volume automation directly.
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjguitar ➡️
?..but for fine tuning I still either grab a fader and trim the volume automation, or I edit the volume automation directly.
same here, also I find that I have to make too many slices to get what I want with clipgain. Riding the fader into it sounds and feels better to me. Clipgain lowers/raises the mathematical dB, a fader lowers/raises the intensity, total BS of course, but that's what it feels like to me.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm using a combination. I get a ball park gain setting with clip gain that is ideal for the plugins and I will also use it for technical issues like dealing with odd little transients or lowering an ess or a plosive, but then I use the fader on top for the interactive mixing. I tend to use clip gain a lot more on dialog than I do on sound effects. A lot of times for sound effects I'll select the entire session and lower everything 15 or 20dB because they were mastered so hot that I'm working at the bottom of the fader where there's no resolution and hitting the plugins way too hard, but after that I just work the faders most of the time unless I need to tweak an edit crossfade to work better or some other issue that I can't deal with using a fader.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Being a Fairlight guy I've known the enormous benefits and occasional perils of Pre-Processing Clip Gain for a long time. I've always touted it as essential to Post Mixing and could never understand why PT didn't do the work to implement it. When they finally did I knew like CJ said it would be a "game-changer" for many. To the OP, I use both - Clip Gain to ballpark, Faders to finesse. (Mostly ballpark is good enough )
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathand ➡️
Being a Fairlight guy I've known the enormous benefits and occasional perils of Pre-Processing Clip Gain for a long time. I've always touted it as essential to Post Mixing and could never understand why PT didn't do the work to implement it. When they finally did I knew like CJ said it would be a "game-changer" for many. To the OP, I use both - Clip Gain to ballpark, Faders to finesse. (Mostly ballpark is good enough )
+1 (not a Fairlighter).

phil p
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper ➡️
+1 (not a Fairlighter).

phil p
I can't remember the exact post, but I'm sure several said it was utterly pointless and no need for it in PT.... PT gets it, oh look.....

I loved it in Nuendo and actually think PT10 implements it better. Big reason I've moved back to PT.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm a huge fan of automation and clip gain both, but you should find out if its pre or post fx
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner ➡️
I'm a huge fan of automation and clip gain both, but you should find out if its pre or post fx
It is pre inserts and sends, and another benefit is that it's also sample accurate unlike volume automation.
📝 Reply