The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adobe Audition audio resto tools vs RX etc?
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Adobe Audition audio resto tools vs RX etc?

I realize this is kind of old news, but I happened to see a demo of the audio resto features (and etc) of Audition CS5.5 (soon to be CS6 in May), and was very impressed. I also kind of liked that the program was NOT oriented towards music production much at all. Has anyone actually done a comparison of clean up in the current Audition and RX etc?

phil p
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was just researching the same thing, but for different reasons - I'm trying to find a sound design tool with multitrack spectral editing (and some other things). Turns out that both Audition and Wavelab have extensive spectral editing options, and I will be visiting an editor friend who has the whole adobe suite to try it out.... I can't say when this will be, but I'll report back once I try it....
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I doubt that Audition and Wavelab can replace the Decrackler and other RX modules, but as far as spectral editing itself, it seems that Wavelab can not only subtract, but also draw sound, which kind of tickles me too. I've also tested another spectral tool, called Photosounder, but found its sound quality way way inferior to RX. Unusable really. Maybe I had some settings wrong (it'd be great if someone would prove me wrong), but converting the sound to image and back alone (without any editing) rendered it all alias-y and lo-fi.
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Audition started life as Cool Edit Pro, and that had a very impressive suite of NR tools at the time - superior to both the Sound Forge NR and DINR (at the time)as I recall - or at least worked better for me. Makes sense that Adobe would have improved them over the years, to the point where they'd be decent contenders.
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I used to use it for smoothing out distorted recordings on an older version and I was actually quite impressed. The only issue was I had to use audition, and I'm not a big fan.

Also, I thought I read something about adobe trying to get royalties on media their programs were used to work on (fail sentence structure is fail).
Old 10th April 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
We used Audition's noise reduction tools to clean "on location" news cuts at the radio station where I used to work. It's good and can get the job done, but I personally like RX better. RX can automatically grab the harmonics for you where Audition can not. It's a big time saver. IMHO, RX doesn't leave as many artifacts either. Your milage may vary.
Old 11th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamcha27 ➑️
We used Audition's noise reduction tools to clean "on location" news cuts at the radio station where I used to work. It's good and can get the job done, but I personally like RX better. RX can automatically grab the harmonics for you where Audition can not. It's a big time saver. IMHO, RX doesn't leave as many artifacts either. Your milage may vary.
Are you folks using the CS5.5 version or earlier? I started this because there seemed to be so many improvements in the current version, and so far I'm finding it easier for my small brain to deal with than PT10. It also has a couple of things PT doesn't have that I like in other pgms (esp. multiple playlists open in the same project). That said they have a way to go to get back all they had in Audition 3 after the rewrite that allowed the Mac-port in CS 5, but CS 6 is just a few days away....

phil p
Old 12th April 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I was using 3. Audition 5.5 is a very bad joke.heh
Old 12th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You mean because of what was lost in the re-write? Yeah, that sort of sucks, but at least Adobe published a list of exactly what was missing and said they were working on those things, as opposed to Apple's posturing and dissembling over the release of FCP-X. I'll be interested to see what they really do fix in CS6. (in 2 days)

phil p
Old 12th April 2012 | Show parent
nkf
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It is not a joke even despite some shortcomings. In fact it is a very useful program for me, especially for editing high res audio. It was a major tool for me to do editing and mastering on a Blu Ray audio production. The surround capabilities are well done. And to give some perspective on this: I own licenses of every major DAW and most editors on Mac and PC and know how to use them.
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Adobe announced the list of what they've fixed + added in AA CS6 today--http://blogs.adobe.com/insidesound/2012/04/whats-new-in-adobe-audition-cs6.html

here's the short list--most of the stuff I was missing in CS5.5

phil p
Attached Thumbnails
Adobe Audition audio resto tools vs RX etc?-cs6-hl.jpg  
Old 13th April 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Added Eucon support, that's a big one for us. We've used the AA restoration tools pretty extensively. Personally I think the spectral noise editing in AA is much more intuitive than RX and for the price you get a full DAW to boot. All in all, can't hurt to add another tool if you can justify it. John.
πŸ“ Reply