The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A couple tips for Nuendo users..
Old 13th July 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A couple tips for Nuendo users..

HOW TO CREATE NEW MIXER VIEWS ON THE FLY

here is a semi quick and dirty way to create a new mixer view on the fly. You'll be able to control click to select tracks in the edit window and then run these commands.. you'll end up at the mixer view naming window. you can either overwrite the existing name or type a new name for a new view.

This method assumes that you are already using mixer views and that you currently have one engaged (the show/hide button is Orange) This method also assumes that you're mixer window is currently closed. I trust that you're are all smart enough to make adjustments based on how you like to work.

NUENDO MACRO:
works during playback but it can act weird in larger sessions. The N5 mixer takes a while to hide and unhide so there are some repeated commands as well as some arbitrary ones for timing. they are all based on trial and error.

First create this macro::: then give it a key command or assign it to a midi button.

Devices-mixer
mixer_hide:can hide
mixer-meters: reset
mixer-command target: all channels
mixer-channels: can hide: SET
mixer-command target: selected only
mixer-channels: can hide: clear
mixer-hide: can hide
mixer-presets: store

When you are finished, CLOSE YOUR MIXER WINDOW, select a few tracks in the edit window and run the macro. If you end up with a blank mixer, or a pop up about the targets, then you did not have the show/hide button active when you ran it. Remember this assumes that you're already using the views.

The process takes a few seconds to run, practice with it, I'm sure you'll run into some quirks
However, you can now make a view from selected tracks.

If you like to have the mixer window open all the time, just remove the Devices-mixer line from the macro. Or make 2 macros

SEQUENTIAL KEY COMMANDS;;;

This option is a little better IMO. It is essentially the same as above, but you don't have to worry about nuendo being too slow for the command string in the macro. After a few uses, you memorize the sequence and it's just as fast. I used SHIFT 1 through Shift 6 just so they were all together.

Select your tracks in the edit window ( or mixer window )

Devices-mixer - ................................F3 ( or not ) opens the mixer window
mixer_hide:can hide - ..........................SHIFT1 - UNHIDE this will show all hidden tracks tracks in the project
mixer-command target: all channels -....... SHIFT2 - this will ensure that the next steps effect all visible channels
mixer-channels: can hide: set - ...............SHIFT3 - this sets can hide status to all channels
mixer-command target: selected only .......SHIFT4 - focus to selected tracks only - your tracks are still selected
mixer-channels: can hide: clear ...............SHIFT5 - this clears the can hide status from your selected tracks
mixer-hide: can hide ..........................SHIFT1 - this hides everything else
mixer presets: store ..........................SHIFT6 - this opens the save new preset or overwrite dialog

This will leave you at the naming window for your new view set.

3rd party hardware macro (xkeys, programmable controller)

All of the above, but now you can program delays between the key strokes. This is really the most effective I think. In addition to the commands, you can include the naming in this string. I'm set up to name my custom view "`````".
" ` " is not effected by caps lock and nuendo view sets are case sensitive which is totally stupid. When I'm overwriting my custom view on Mackie view button 8, I use this method. When I want to create view sets of other items I use the macro or keys.

Good luck
Your results may vary
Old 13th July 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
VCA FADERS in NUENDO

If you're like me, then you wish Nuendo had VCA faders like protoolsHD. Steinberg says.. " Hey, but we have Link faders so we'll never give you VCA, keep asking though because we think it's funny."

It's a standoff that is years old at this point. I surrender. Link faders is cool, but it's a pain to search through mixer especially when your in a large session and the client is sitting right behind you. Group busses can also sort of work like VCA as far as what you're hearing is concerned, but there are so many occasions where it's just not practical to create a new group buss for these little details.

Personally, I like generic midi hardware buttons. You set them, they don't change. They become second nature and your can do it in the dark. I've got two here but these can easily be assigned to key commands also.
Command - Mixer - Link Channels
Command - Mixer - Unlink Channels

As long as the mixer window is open, this will quickly give you control of multiple tracks from any fader in the group. And unlike VCA's. these are temporary, there's hardly any set up time and you can jump in and out as needed with out taking your eyes off the picture to read through a bunch of right click commands.

~NOTE: if you add a presonus faderport to a larger array like mackie or Avid, the fader port will always default to the selected channel.. in this case, it will always control your linked faders from a central location.

Also, using this command string as a base http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... 76&t=10771
you can quickly access tracks that are spread far apart or tracks that are in different mixer views.

The end of the command string will leave you at the Naming Dialog window for the mixer view, and your tracks will already be selected and ready for linking. Regardless of Nuendo key commands, the HOME key will always select the first track in the mixer when the mixer window is open. SHIFT-END will select every track in your mixer view. This is good to know when you want to select all the tracks in a view at a later time.

So you can quickly select tracks in your edit window that you want to link. Run the mixer view command string. - Link channels Hotkey.. takes just a few seconds.

From here you can switch back to another mixer view that contains one or more of your Linked group and continue to make the moves you want to make, perhaps while balancing against other tracks from any mixer view that are not in the group etc etc.

When you're done, you can leave it grouped if you want to.. or.. you can select the new mixer view you made that contains all of the Linked channels.. HOME - SHIFT END.. UNLINK

In a nutshell, this technique is faster and more flexible then if Nuendo had PT style VCA faders IMO.

Good luck
Old 13th July 2011 | Show parent
GS Community Manager

Good stuff, esp. the VCA-esque trick! Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wicked man! Soon, you'll be mixing with an eyelash and a toe :P

Seriously, though, what for do you use on-the-fly mixer views except for this VCA-like stuff? An example, please
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danijel ➑️
Wicked man! Soon, you'll be mixing with an eyelash and a toe :P

Seriously, though, what for do you use on-the-fly mixer views except for this VCA-like stuff? An example, please
If I want to condense a scenes worth of tracks from dialog, sfx backgrounds and music that are normally spread out across the mixer and part of different mixer views. I can quickly do it and in a few seconds, that scene is all right in front of me on the faders.

If you have Track Selection follows Event Selection checked in the preferences, that is as easy as selecting the regions by draging a box around them, or control clicking them (option on the mac I think) and then running the command.

If want to quickly create a view of a submix for a particular event that is normally out of sight. Like guns, lots of tracks, takes up lots of room. I can tuck them in a folder and not have to scroll through them all. but easily access them when I want to.

Before I was able to do this, I lived with out it. And now that I can do it, I use it regularly. Why this isn't a right click option that is hard coded into the software is beyond me.

enjoy
Old 14th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Aha, now it's getting to be interesting. Will try it out, only I'll have to make a 'Track Selection follows Event Selection' KC, cause I don't like working in that mode.
Old 14th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Great stuff Jesse! I'll give the macros a spin on Friday!
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
thanks! i run a slightly tweaked version of it that displays whatever chan's are selected in mixer #3 with a keycommand that also brings up the mixer window. the same command then hides the mixer, and when depressed once again, it show the selected channels w/o a need to toggle any 'can hide' setting within the mixer.
Old 20th September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can you elaborate?

I still use this on occasion but my new Avid controllers do not reflect the nuendo mixer the way the mackie controls did so it is not as useful.

I do still use it when I'm creating custom layouts on the controller but it's not nearly as useful as it once was.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
my 1st command is 'mixer 3', all assigned to a keycommand. when depressed for the 1st time (no mixer on screen), it displays the selected channels. when depressed once again, it hides the mixer [3]. i don't use the 'save mixer view' command btw. then i still have mixers 1 & 2 untouched, and i have what's supposed to be inside mixers 1&2 locked within a workspace that i can recall (mixer 1 shows audio + midi, mixer 2 shows groups). so mixer 1&2 are always an overview of everything and i dont hide tracks on them (par some dummy tracks that are never touched), while mixer 3 always shows whatever i'd like to currently focus on.

now a cool addition to this would be if by selecting an audio channel, a set of group channels that audio channel is routed to would be selected at once as well! :] that way you could display on the mix say the drums AND the groups they're routed to w/o having to sift through the arrange to locate the respective groups. (which is not usually such a big deal, though if they're hidden away in folders, it can get time consuming).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So you have a key command that opens and closes mixer#3 and that always displays your selected channels?

That does not work here, how did you get this to work?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
that's correct.

to be honest, i just started off with your macro (don't really know why you repeat many of the commands). let me just clarify i normally dont have a mixer displayed, only when i want to do i display a mixer and then close it again. i also set my default template to start with the mixer 3 set to 'hide channels set to 'can hide' on. that way this works, and the operation ends with this (orange coloured) setting engaged again.

devices – mixer 3
mixer – hide: can hide
mixer – meters: reset
mixer – command target : all channels
mixer – channels: can hide: set
mixer – command target: selected only
mixer – channels: can hide: clear
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
oh I get it, cool

FYI, the repeats are in there for timing. They don't really do anything but allow the system time to catch up. The larger the session, the slower the gui reacts. But the keys will fire off fast no mater what. I found that when the gui was slow steps were getting missed/skipped and it wasn't working.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Peterson ➑️
oh I get it, cool

FYI, the repeats are in there for timing. They don't really do anything but allow the system time to catch up. The larger the session, the slower the gui reacts. But the keys will fire off fast no mater what. I found that when the gui was slow steps were getting missed/skipped and it wasn't working.
ahh i see, cheers. i read about the commands being faster than one another so to speak in some old SoS article...
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And, after spending some time to program macros it's well worth it to investigate the Project Logical Editor (PLE).

Using some clever naming conventions you can select specific channels and "store them", essentially renaming them with a "tag" so you can link/group or modify them in various ways.
Another thing I use it for is to have keycommands that solos/mutes my guide/dia/foley/amb/fx/music folders or groups without having to actually select them or see them in the project window or the mixer.

Using the PLE together with macros is immensely powerful. The drawback is the time needed to figure it out and set it all up.
Old 21st September 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikG ➑️
And, after spending some time to program macros it's well worth it to investigate the Project Logical Editor (PLE).

Using some clever naming conventions you can select specific channels and "store them", essentially renaming them with a "tag" so you can link/group or modify them in various ways.
Another thing I use it for is to have keycommands that solos/mutes my guide/dia/foley/amb/fx/music folders or groups without having to actually select them or see them in the project window or the mixer.

Using the PLE together with macros is immensely powerful. The drawback is the time needed to figure it out and set it all up.
that sounds exciting indeed, care to share some of your precious PLE programming?

here's a very simplistic PLE preset i did and assigned to a keycommand: it will scan whatever you have selected (be it audio or midi events) and delete any muted events from that selection. (just like the 'delete all muted' preset, except not globally in the whole project, but on a selection.)

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikG ➑️

Nice tip!
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Im not a PLE super user yet.
The drawback of PLE/macro programming is where the ROI is...

It does take a bit of time to figure things out.

The best way to understand how to deal with the PLE is to download the guides from Bo Claussen from the old Nuendo.com forum:
http://www.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewtop...5ba5f1b78bbd71

Some of them are quite handy, but the important part is to understand what and how it does it's thing.
That will enable you to create powerful stuff that suits your own workflow.

I also use the PLE for standard naming of my tracks for example. Thus saving me the time to copy paste and ad a number for each track.

I'm also working on a few automation cleanup ideas. Not sure if they will work yet or be very useful for anyone else though.

In the middle of mixing a tv series so have very little time to actually write stuff down.
And unfortunately there is no way to actually share PLE setups afaik so it has to be written in a understandable format.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have 16 PLE presets for track colors, mapped to a page on my euphonix control. But after reading this it gave me some ideas.

I like Erik's idea about standard naming conventions. I set up keys on the euphonix today that select specific tracks and laid out additional keys that do other functions like mute/solo, link, send to new folder, record arm, rename etc etc.

I also like eriks idea for the standard renaming. I've been using the rename tool lately and setting up session using it is so fast that I don't even really go for my templates anymore.
Old 7th November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Very nice macro for the mixer view!!! However, is there a way of having these map out on the MC Mix too?
Old 7th November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mottl ➑️
Very nice macro for the mixer view!!! However, is there a way of having these map out on the MC Mix too?
No, unfortunately, the mixers to not update to reflect the nuendo mixer.

This worked amazingly well with the mackie MCU, hopefully some update down the line will make this work again.
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapmastering ➑️
that's correct.

to be honest, i just started off with your macro (don't really know why you repeat many of the commands). let me just clarify i normally dont have a mixer displayed, only when i want to do i display a mixer and then close it again. i also set my default template to start with the mixer 3 set to 'hide channels set to 'can hide' on. that way this works, and the operation ends with this (orange coloured) setting engaged again.

devices – mixer 3
This unfortunately no longer works for me but displays ALL channels (after having brought a few messages that it has to be applied to all channels??). Any ideas why this is happening?

EDIT: OK I think I got it sorted, but why haven't Steinberg implemented a way to have THAT layout map to the Artist controllers???

:-(
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mottl ➑️
why haven't Steinberg implemented a way to have THAT layout map to the Artist controllers???

:-(
They put all their R&D money into iphone apps. Huge FAIL. So much potential with that program.
πŸ“ Reply