Post with Pyramix

Hi Guys

Anyone using Pyramix for post ?

Just curious

Thankx
Old 23rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There are some rooms at polish national public radio, where Pyramix is used, but as I know most editors/mixers rather do not like it...

regards,
Kuba
Old 24th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yellow Cab?

It's a great and somewhat unique tool.

Philip Perkins
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I know that a few high-end post-studio's in France work on Pyramix and they are really enthusiast. Especially the very strong conf/reconfo features of the soft are acclaimed.

Any French colleague?

Kind regards from Belgium,

Pedro
GS Community Manager

Alchemy Soho used to run Pyramix exclusively for all their post work. They're closed now. I don't think the two are related, though. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Guys,

we only have Pyramix 6 Native. We use it to reconform location sound (which it handles quite well).
Pyramix is a very powerful system, with mind boggling number of options for just about every function. The serious users over here are real fanboys about their system, but there are actually quite few Pyramix users for sound editing. You'll find most systems on ADR or foley stages to record, or on dubbing stages as stem recorders.

It's not a personnal favourite app of mine. I cant get round the godawful waveform display, and general interface. And having to pay from 200 to 600 € for every damn option... well that just p****es me off. You need OMF? 600... you need AAF? another 600... Quicktime?... it goes on and on. But they do make some "packages" that handle most options for post and that are probably better value.

All in all the price is lower than a PT system for a dubbing stage use (MADI outputs help bring the cost down), but for more precise setups you'd need a quote to know where you stand vs the competition.

To sum things up: a great system with very good tools inside. Fugly waveforms and not very intuitive controls can ruin the first few days of use. Have the credit card ready if you forgot an option on purchase!

PS: in the december issue of Resolution, there was a good interview of Jean Goudier who is one of France's esteemed sound editors. He's a pure Pyramix guy.

PS2: in the same issue there is an article about Yellow Cab
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Its got undo history like photoshop!
Old 25th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'm a user,
Have been for over 4 years, we have a Dozen high spec systems, 7 of these are running Masscore +256 and two Madi cards. We also run Pro tools and Icon.
We have several Post production mixers and most are trained on both systems. sonically it is a great system. The European company Merging are great to deal with and very responsive to requests and implementations. I can thoroughly recommend that if you are interested you get a demo from one of their distributors. I would not recommend that you approach it as a cheap alternative to other systems. It can cost just as much. Yes there are lost of options that you can choose to have or not. But there are a lot of tools built in, like reconform which will cost an added 2000 bucks as a plugin for other systems. VST's are automated. We also run VCube which is the picture playback device which is the *sister* to Pyramix. As for the waveforms. I disagree that they are poor. I can sync a dialogue track up to a guide track, and make it phase coherent in the blink of an eye. This cannot be said of a lot of market leaders.
It is only available on PC which is possibly one of the reasons why is is less widely accepted. The whole Masscore thing is that it takes one of the cores of a dualcore (we use quad) machine and uses that as its main DSP. you want more DSP you can do it by upgrading your PC (a bit cheaper than upgrading a manufacturer specific chipset). I guess in theory you can double your DSP every year without changing your DAW hardware. We have a couple of guys who run the native (like LE) systems with no problem on bootcamp.
Pyramix is a powerful tool. Some people get what they want done with paint. Some use photoshop. I'll use whatever my clients can afford.
Old 25th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the replies.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Just spent a couple of days in with a dubbing mixer using Pyramix and I can see what the fuss is all about.
There are a number of features which where way out in front of the competition if you are working to picture.

Such as markers from an EDL. Making it easy to jump between picture cuts. Let's face it most audio clips such as background atmos all line up that way. Same with a lot of fx.

Also the slip audio within part feature is great. It allows the audio in a part to be moved forward or back without moving the part. The part becomes a fixed window.
Also makes setting cross fades easy.
All done on the one arrange page. There is a good overview window as well.
VCube was running along side.
Coming back to ProTools felt very slow and clunky to me this morning.
The way Pyramix is going, once people learn about it, I expect it will become the next first choice for audio to picture work. Pro tools may have been dominant for a long time but things change. It may struggle to stay both the music and film sound platform of choice.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricbacfac ➡️
Also the slip audio within part feature is great. It allows the audio in a part to be moved forward or back without moving the part. The part becomes a fixed window.
That is among the top three features (present in Nuendo as well) missing in PT for me.

And sorry, but I must say that two guys (or gals) joining forum (under seemingly random names) to post in this thread sounds like Pyramix marketing department to me.

EDIT: But then, I hope I'm wrong, because the forum is always more interesting with geographically and technically diverse people
Old 26th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
can't speak for Electricbacfac. But I work for filmsat59 in the UK
Films at 59 - Pre and Post Production.
Chris Domaille
My views are mine and not necessarily the views of the company etc.
I've been a regular visitor to Gearslutz for years. I don't usually post because of the nature of a lot of forums.
On topic;
Yes Pyramix has a lot of good post features as mentioned by *Electricbacfac* also the simple things like being able to pre edit a cue before you drag it into the timeline, and when you do bring it into the timeline, the cue will change colour to red if you are going to overwrite the rest of your tracklay. One really powerful tool is the ability to group clips together (like say a title sequence) and put them in a library which also contains all of your automation data. Also the archiving system is very evolved. You can archive your session at lunchtime (If you ever get lunch breaks) and then when you finish the session in the evening. simply re-archive and it will only copy across new media. Takes seconds to update and you get to go home earlier! The automation can be accessed and several different automation passes can be kept. This enables you to write Final mix and M&Es etc all simply within the same session. But it is NOT the industry standard. We are getting music sessions delivered as Pro tools sessions even though they were originally mastered on Pyramix. Every system has its pros and cons, and every system will evolve, sometimes overtaking the competition, sometimes lagging behind. I am not going to get into a debate about who's is bigger or longer as I am fortunate enough to have worked on most systems including audiofile, mag, Pro tools pro contol Icon Sadie audiovision dawn. They all have their place and time.
Chris
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kister ➡️
can't speak for Electricbacfac. But I work for filmsat59 in the UK
Films at 59 - Pre and Post Production.
Chris Domaille
Hi Chris,
small world, I was sitting in with Brian in Theater C over at Bath rd ([email protected]), on this Friday and Monday and was very impressed with the Pyramix setup. Read about it a lot but now I've seen it in action I can see what all the fuss is about. Also it must be good to have an alternative to pro tools out there.

Now I am back home working on a short film in pro tools le I find myself frustrated looking for the picture cuts to sync my atmos track too. (And trying to slip audio within a clip.)

I'm obviously no Pyramix rep, ( oh you cynics!), Just impressed enough to post..
Jimmy Tuffrey
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hi
Well my first post and no I don't work for Merging so please don't think I'm on a sales pitch. We use Pyramix here, haven't moved over to v6 yet but find the system ideal for our setup. For me its speed of use in editing and mixing is what makes it such a brilliant tool.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm obviously no Pyramix rep, ( oh you cynics!)
OK guys, thanks for the clarification. I hope you see how one can't take an anonymous poster's opinion on a product seriously.

Chris, I see you did the 'Blue Planet' - I saw a couple of episodes with my kids, and the show was really helpful in explaining them how (and especially why) the sound effects are added in post - they can understand how it would be hard to capture the sound underwater

BTW, [email protected] looks impressive. Three foley stages!?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Also the slip audio within part feature is great. It allows the audio in a part to be moved forward or back without moving the part.
Pro Tools' Ctrl +/- (numeric keypad) does this no?

I agree it is a bit crap tho' - you can't do it intuitively, and have to slip by steps defined by the nudge value. Probably in my top 5 gripes with PT.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahtao ➡️
Here, Ctrl +/- nudges the clip out point, while Alt +/- nudges the in point.
To 'slip' or 'slide' audio withing a region means that the in and out point remain the same, while the contents of the clip is sliding left/right, thus revealing parts of audio that was in the handles, and hiding what was visible on the other side of the clip.

That is very useful when:
- you've already cut the ambiance in/out point, but now you decided you want another part of that same audio file. Or if you hear a specific short sound inside an ambiance that you don't want, you can split the clip right before the offending sound and 'slide' the new region on the right side of the split point to the left. That way you hid the offender, and revealed a small snippet of the ambiance that was in the right handle.
- you imported a clip with a couple of gunshots. Cut one in; it doesn't fit; slide the audio until you get another one in it's place.

In Nuendo, you hold Ctrl+Alt, mouse-grab the clip anywhere and move left/right - very intuitive and accessible.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I was sitting in with Brian in Theater C
' glad Brian looked after you, he is a great mixer!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danijel ➡️
very intuitive and accessible.
I agree. SADiE has the same sort of thing. I miss it.

I think PT should implement it as an extension of the Trim Tool. Ideally just hold down Alt or something whilst using the Smart Tool
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I agree. SADiE has the same sort of thing. I miss it.

I think PT should implement it as an extension of the Trim Tool. Ideally just hold down Alt or something whilst using the Smart Tool
Yes, Sadie has all that stuff you mention too, but I have to say that if enough of you PT types pressure Digidesign then they'll probably add it too--they seem to pick up a lot of new features w/ every release, esp ones users are vocal about.

Philip Perkins
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Here, Ctrl +/- nudges the clip out point, while Alt +/- nudges the in point.
Hey Danijel!
PT on MAC:
Ctrl +/- nudges the region content i.e. slipping
Alt +/- for nudge in point
apple +/- for nudge out point

I'd guess it's Start key +/- on a PC!?

but I agree with you that this is better in Nuendo for most cases, especially for ambiences!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flix ➡️
I'd guess it's Start key +/- on a PC!?
Could be, I'm still a PT newbie. Will try it out tomorrow. I just thought Jahtao was talking PC - I always forget Ctrl exists on Mac too.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I always forget Ctrl exists on Mac too.
It does and when I look at my keyboards - it' s used pretty frequently!
Old 27th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I´ve been a Pyramix user for about 5 years now and in my opinion it´s years ahead in terms of post features. It´s a serious tool and manufactured by a company that listens to it´s customers.Sonically is superior and the Masscore technology makes it one if not the most fast and powerful workstation available.Not to mention it´s DXD and DSD implementation for those of us that didn´t surrender to the mp3 revolution. I´m sure it will become a standard reference in the next years.

PS-I´m not a Merging reptutt
Old 8th March 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'm another Pyramix user.
We bought 4 systems, 2 for radio stuff, and 2 for TV post.
I use the TV post system.

We've been using for nearly 3 years.
Very reliable.
I like it a lot.
We looked at other sytems, and for various reasons this came out top for us.
I was an Avid Audiovision user before (anyone else?) and found Pyramix fairly easy to change to despite the platform change.

As usual YMMV.

Get a demo.

No- I don't work for them!
Old 9th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
We've been using Pyramix for about 3 years now and though we mainly do mastering, we did do 3 games on it. We do have a PT post machine but I'm much more comfortable with Pyramix. I've even changed all my key commands to PT HD. If it wasn't for that damn "PT standard", I'd have a Pyramix rig in the post room as well.

Regards,
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
not wanting to hijack the thread, but Danijel, ProTools has had that feature for many years... i use it all the time when cutting ambiences etc
on a mac its control +/-
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbasshead ➡️
not wanting to hijack the thread, but Danijel, ProTools has had that feature for many years... i use it all the time when cutting ambiences etc
on a mac its control +/-
True, I tried the other day, it's Win +/- on PC, as Flix suggested. It's not bad for leaving out little quirks from the ambiance, but not very useful if you want to try a whole different segment out of a long file. Anyway, I'm much happier now
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I agree it is a bit crap tho' - you can't do it intuitively, and have to slip by steps defined by the nudge value. Probably in my top 5 gripes with PT.
But you can have any nudge value you want. Simply click on the nudge value field just under the counter and type it in you desired value. TC, Bars/Beats, Samples...whatever you want. Wanna nudge something, 10 minutes or 4627 Samples or 3 bars 2 an 1/4 beats? No problem.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So what would be your preferred way to slip the audio approx 7 secs 3 and 1/3 frame...
Not really very practical in PT and youd have to compare the two sounds to find out that that was what you wanted. OR you could just change the nudge value to secs, nudge three and then change to frames and nudge till you feel you get ther and then change to 1/4 frame and move one and then change to etc... I know it's workable as I've used PT for along time, but it is no where near Nuendo Intuitive control, just slide it where you want it...

OTOH if you WANT to slide by x number frames the PT way is faster than in Nuendo as you'd have to write a macro to do it.
📝 Reply