Quantcast
best way to integrate mbox2 and vocal booth for ADR - what other gear would help? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
best way to integrate mbox2 and vocal booth for ADR - what other gear would help?
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
best way to integrate mbox2 and vocal booth for ADR - what other gear would help?

Okay, I have a multi-media class and we've finally been sent PTLE with some MBoxes. We've got a vocal booth and a computer near the booth (video will be seen with a 2nd monitor in the booth or through the window).

ADR with our old set up and a mixing board was fine, but I want the tightest, most efficient, easy-yet-pertinent way to get give them a proper workflow. Please don't mention an HD system because there's a whole campus for that in our system and it isn't us (unless you think there's something integral there that we need).

So here's the easiest idea I can think of: a good condenser, a long headphone cable and talkback can be achieved by using the Mbox's second XLR input cued in the software to an auxillary headphone bus or by enabling it as a monitor, but not record enabled in the Pro Tools session. There's also that direct mix knob, too. Of course, we'd need a headphone amp to accommodate the performer and recordist.

Is this too simple or amateur? I know it will work, but so will Audacity and any sound card and I guess that's not the point. What are some of the more modest, working professional set ups? We could get an Mbox Pro and utilize the two headphone outputs. We could also go with a Mackie Big Knob or a Digidesign Command 8. What do you recommend? We've got other stations set up for mixing basic projects (they are not recording majors, but need skills to augment web and video work), but I'd like one solid station, easy to use station that gives an experience that can be extrapolated to an on the job experience.

Thanks in advance!
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thats perfect.

Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler.
-Albert Einstein
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanks for the quick reply.
๐Ÿ“ Reply