Quantcast
Suggestions for good "surf guitar" sample library for TV spot... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Suggestions for good "surf guitar" sample library for TV spot...
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Suggestions for good "surf guitar" sample library for TV spot...

Hey Guys-

I've got a job lined up for a couple of TV spots that are looking for tracks that have a "surf guitar" (for lack of a better word) feel to them. Lot's of spring reverb and tremelo type stuff. I don't personally play guitar and was wondering if any of you have come across a library that you think is pretty decent for this. I've checked soundsonline, etc and haven't found anything...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Shaggy2039; 5th February 2009 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: spelling error fixed...
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Usually that stuff is hard to come by, but I bet you can hire someone to create it for you for less than what a library would cost, and then it would also be original.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguydave ➡️
Usually that stuff is hard to come by, but I bet you can hire someone to create it for you for less than what a library would cost, and then it would also be original.
Yeah, I figured if I wasn't seeing it on the usual sample library sites that this was going to be difficult. I hear you about getting someone in to record, but for the money I'd like to have 100+ different loops and riffs to choose from for future projects, etc.

Thanks.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
A good library will run you about $300 for a disc. I'm sure for that price you can get a guitar player in for a few hours and get anything you want.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
If you want solo surf guitar, I wouldn't know.

If it's with a band, Megatrax and APM have some nice stuff, and a relatively new library called Music Box has an interesting disc called "Surf Metal." I say "interesting," because your client will most likely say "Interesting... what else you got?" But I think it's pretty cool.

Back on topic, I'm pretty sure you can set up an account and then audition online and download your prospective choices on a pay-if-you-use-it basis (that's the case with most of the big libraries these days).

Megatrax has expressed a willingness in the past to print individual elements for me from their multitracks (like, say, a solo guitar) but I've never taken them up on it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
" I say "interesting," because your client will most likely say "Interesting... what else you got?"
Hehehehehe!!heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➡️
If you want solo surf guitar, I wouldn't know.

If it's with a band, Megatrax and APM have some nice stuff, and a relatively new library called Music Box has an interesting disc called "Surf Metal." I say "interesting," because your client will most likely say "Interesting... what else you got?" But I think it's pretty cool.

Back on topic, I'm pretty sure you can set up an account and then audition online and download your prospective choices on a pay-if-you-use-it basis (that's the case with most of the big libraries these days).

Megatrax has expressed a willingness in the past to print individual elements for me from their multitracks (like, say, a solo guitar) but I've never taken them up on it.
Thanks, I actually just checked out some of the APM stuff. You're right...it's definitely "interesting". I'm looking more for solo guitar work that I can chop up or build a track around. Thanks for the input though. I think this is going to be a no-go from what I'm gathering.
Old 19th February 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Surf Guitar Loops at Splurgo Audio

For future use you might wanna check out Splurgo Audio :: Loops, Samples & Sound FX :: Bass & Guitar :: Surf Guitar Loops

Cheers! :D
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Good style. Sorry i'm no help.

Surf
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use Audio Network. Nice people and a big library that you can buy single cuts... not whole discs. They're in the UK, so you'll see pounds for pricing, but it'll change when you check out.
We use Firstcom. They have a huge library. I know I've heard several good surf cuts while searching for tracks.

FirstCom Music
Old 20th February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by splurgo ➡️
Hey that was starting to look interesting, but then the site blocked me with an "Access Denied" warning! I'm guessing from your username that it's your site - you might want to check that, it's a bit of a turnoff for potential customers...

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto

****EDIT**** OK, not sure if you did something or that was just a glitch earlier, but I was able to listen now (two and a half hours later) and quite liked it. If I was launching in on trying to compose a track around a sample as Shaggy2039 is, I'd probably want more variety than just the 140bpm in E that's there, but hey, your price is right! -SK
Old 23rd February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
buy a guitar and a reverb pedal off craigslist = $250 + 50

otherwise post an ad for surf guitarist w/ reverb pedal = $100

record him at your house, or his house, or at a cheapo studio = Free / $100

you'd still be under budget
and maybe even have a guitar out of the deal which you could resell or keep
Old 24th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think most people here don't understand exactly what the OP is asking for. he is not looking to find a Surf guitar song already pre-recorded, as what APM, Megatrax and Musicbox do.

He is looking to write a surf song on his own and needs a surf guitar virtual instrument to write with.

Unfortunately, there really isn't one. Shaggy, if you haven't found a solution yet, PM me and I can send you the names and contact info for a couple guitarists that do remote recording. You send them the track without guitars, they send you back the finished guitars for it.

Unfortunately Surf Guitar is such a small draw that most sample libraries haven't bothered to make a "useful" instrument for it. You can check places like BigFishAudio to see if they might have a surf loop library. But then you are stuck using their guitar riffs, if you do find one at all.
📝 Reply