Quantcast
omf 2 gb limitation workaround - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
omf 2 gb limitation workaround
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
omf 2 gb limitation workaround

I'm exporting an OMF from Final cut pro 6 and it says that the exported file will be greater than 2 Gb and not supported. I thought OMF 2 has no such limitation. What's the workaround ??? Thanks
Old 4th February 2009
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo ➑️
I'm exporting an OMF from Final cut pro 6 and it says that the exported file will be greater than 2 Gb and not supported. I thought OMF 2 has no such limitation. What's the workaround ??? Thanks
You need to break it into reels that are under 2GB and do each bit at a time (set in and out points on the timeline for each export). There will be multiple OMFs but once all imported the TC will match up on the timeline so everything will be where it should be.
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
break into reels or split the tracks up into smaller groups. for instance, output tracks 1-4 as one OMF, tracks 5-8 as another, et (Pete) cetera.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Please check my reply to your post on the DUC so you can see this exact same advice in a different font, hahahahahaha
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks guys !!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Please see the DUC for Joe's superior font choice.

(of course he didn't make a bad pun about a singer from Chicago......so in that way, my post has more "added value".)
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Don't include the media in the OMF. Link the media from the OMF. No need to break into reels, split into tracks or anything like that. (Unless of course you want to break into reels but that is a different issue. Not an OMF issue).

Alistair
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
exporting audio to OMF in Final Cut is always imbedded. There's no ' Link media '' option.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo ➑️
exporting audio to OMF in Final Cut is always imbedded. There's no ' Link media '' option.
Aaaah. Fair enough.

Alistair
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hi vudoo,
Another option is XML.
FC can export only OMF Embedded and XML.
Gallery's XMLPro can create a ProTools session from an XML file exported by FC.
XMLPro is not cheap but do the job.
Lives for gear

SSL ProConvert is another option too.
Again, you would export as an Apple XML, and translate to the required format.
GS Community Manager

Yet another option:

Automatic Duck, Inc.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Linking won't help you if you're taking the project elsewhere to mix. OMF has always had the 2gb limit... thankfully MXF came along. If your dude is mixing in Pro Tools I think Final Cut has an AAF option.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musikwerks ➑️
Linking won't help you if you're taking the project elsewhere to mix.
In Avid, you can consolidate all the media to a target destination (a folder for instance) when exporting and creating the OMF. Then you copy that folder anywhere you want. This is fully portable and has no 2GB limit. I have received such OMFs numerous times from various editors and post houses.

Despite what was written in this thread, according to John E. Walker in the following thread, FCP does support linked media OMFs: Merging Clips in FCP

So probably FCP can also do the necessary consolidating/copying of media files. (I can't imagine it doesn't). It seems absurd to have to buy a third party converter just to get a (largish project) OMFs out of FCP.

Quote:
If your dude is mixing in Pro Tools I think Final Cut has an AAF option.
AFAIK Nuendo, Fairlight, Pyramix and Samplitude also support AAF.

Alistair
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow ➑️
Despite what was written in this thread, according to John E. Walker in the following thread, FCP does support linked media OMFs: Merging Clips in FCP

So probably FCP can also do the necessary consolidating/copying of media files. (I can't imagine it doesn't). It seems absurd to have to buy a third party converter just to get a (largish project) OMFs out of FCP.
That thread is referring to "merged" clips in FCP, i.e. video and audio clips that are no longer separate. It sounds like it was solved by using a different computer. Final Cut will only export an embedded OMF. It doesn't give you many options either. Automatic Duck does help but can be buggy depending on the version (and the version of FCP).

Yes it is absurb to have to buy extra software to export anything other than an embedded OMF out of FCP, but no more so than having to pony up big $$ to import an OMF into Pro Tools! Presumably Apple would like you to work in Soundtrack, but look how well that works out.
πŸ“ Reply