Quantcast
Film Sound Guys...How Did They Do This? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Film Sound Guys...How Did They Do This?
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool

I have heard - but never been able to get reliable confirmation - that Marlon Brando would intentionally mumble on the set so they would have no choice but to ADR his dialog. According to this legend the supposed rationale was that Brando wanted to concentrate on his physical performance on the set and his dialog delivery during the looping sessions. Does anyone know if this is true, or even heard this tale?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob ➡️
I have heard - but never been able to get reliable confirmation - that Marlon Brando would intentionally mumble on the set so they would have no choice but to ADR his dialog. According to this legend the supposed rationale was that Brando wanted to concentrate on his physical performance on the set and his dialog delivery during the looping sessions. Does anyone know if this is true, or even heard this tale?
I have heard that as well- Brando was supposed to be a good ADR player too, because he really appreciated what he could bring to a performance- many actors see it as a nuisance that they will do everything to avoid.... many actors are not as good as Brando was however.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes ➡️
many actors are not as good as Brando was however.
LOL That's a slight understatement. heh
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In the case of "Guys and Dolls" however, he begged Sam Goldwyn to get someone to dub his singing for him after the first full day of recording "Luck". I believe his answer was,"If Sam Goldwyn says on the marquee, 'Brando Sings', than Brando sings!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundboy ➡️
In the case of "Guys and Dolls" however, he begged Sam Goldwyn to get someone to dub his singing for him after the first full day of recording "Luck". I believe his answer was,"If Sam Goldwyn says on the marquee, 'Brando Sings', than Brando sings!

Damn- that film is just insanely great.... once that score gets into your head it stays there.... sorta like "It only takes a moment" from Hello Dolly, that was used in WALL-E....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMilner ➡️
And "Fathom" also had a very creative use of Raquel Welch's bikini
Guys, rent this movie, and tell your wife or girlfriend that you're only seeing it "for the ADR"
jajaajajajthumbsupheh
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
"Feast of all Saints" A made for TV/DVD feature.
100% of the movie was ADR's because Ann Rice did not like the so called French accents.
She got her way!!
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip ➡️
If you dont know what ADR is about, let me explain a bit to you, when you watch a movie, you are not hearing what the actors recorded on stage, you are hearing the actor that recorded his voice in a studio while watching his performance. And almost every sound you hear in a movie is re-recorded in a studio, even the ambient noise, the incidentals, everything (or almost everything). So when Brad Pitt makes a movie, does he go into the studio and re-record each and every single line he said while making the film?, the answer is YES!
Where do you get this nonsense?
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Easy, Mr. Henchman! Haha;
Said poster has already been corrected and explained-to.

But I love the smell of napalm in the morning as much as I love ADR talk. Yes, I've had to be on the engineering side of a feature doing both a revoice of an entire character's 350 lines (I guess nobody spoke up in the CASTING stages of the film that certain folks didn't like the kid's voice?), and also a 100% ADR 'for performance' (I guess nobody spoke up in the directing stages of the film?). Not fun.

Most films try to use location sound wherever possible, of course. But yes, technical (sound quality...and things like, oh, losing an entire day's audio) and creative (performance change/dialect/accent) reasons can create an ADR list that is quite extensive. Or not.

But nothing says all ADR that is recorded is used in the final. Just like Brando is said to have loved ADR (and was very good at it), many others completely despise ADR (and are very bad at it). And may even try to sabotage the ADR performances to "force" the sound crew to use location sound. I always loved those attempts. Trying to make us use the original sound when it is very poor quality. Who are they hurting? Not me! I'm behind the scenes.

But when dealing with wind machines like Mr. Maynes mentioned, or many other action sequences (or even things like early HD camera system noise and/or monitor noise, or a generator too close to the set, etc.): sometimes the location mixer has no choice but to mark "Guide Track" on his/her location reports and then it is up to the actors, director, and ADR mixer/re-recording mixer.

Even in situations where one would think "gee whiz, why would that be ADR'd?!?! Looks like a perfect environment for recording", one often has to ADR. Case in point: Mission to Mars---actors wearing spacesuit helmets with lav mics right in front of their mouths. Perfect, right? Actors hot in spacesuits. Actors given fans in their spacesuits. Actors record much ADR.

But I digress---O.P. was about The Wizard of Oz and pre-records. Don't get me going on ADR...
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes ➡️
sorta like "It only takes a moment" from Hello Dolly, that was used in WALL-E....
You know, I'm not sure, but I think Wall-e was 92% ADR. I know a guy who was on set during most of the trash planet shooting and he said the wind was brutal.

They did manage to get some of the production sound in during the outer space ballet between the two robots, Wall-e and Eve. According to my same source, the outer space set was dead quiet.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric L ➡️
You know, I'm not sure, but I think Wall-e was 92% ADR. I know a guy who was on set during most of the trash planet shooting and he said the wind was brutal.

They did manage to get some of the production sound in during the outer space ballet between the two robots, Wall-e and Eve. According to my same source, the outer space set was dead quiet.
Dont forget BURN-E.....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
and the sequel..."Weekend at Burn-E's"
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
YouTube - BURN E
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric L ➡️

And the newer Star Wars movies where it was the production DIA that stood out instead of the ADR standing out.

And yea, I loved the sounds in outer space on "Firefly". How'd it sound so dead out there when the ships are whizzing by so fast? Wouldn't the mic capsule frapp out? Maybe it was a good muff on the boom. Nicely done, Mr Boom op!

heehee.

And, I guess I really need to make the time to finally WATCH Wall-E....sorry folks. (hanging head in shame of being the only sound pro who hasn't seen it) Saturday night is on!!!!!
Old 25th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
may i refresh / hijack this thread?
the title just reminded me of one question i always had since i saw the movie "On connaît la chanson" by the late Alain Resnais. fantastic movie btw. if you like french cinema with a twist :)
ok – here's what i don't understand technically: obviously the dialogue scenes are location sound. but then suddenly, at a given point without any cut or visual cue, one of the actors starts to "sing", or let's call it "lip-sync" a (more-or-less well known) song. all this within less than a second after his last dialogue and often while he looks at his dialogue partner!
it's hilarious cause they picked many great songs from all eras that comment the scene in a very funny way. anybody knows something about it?
📝 Reply