Quantcast
Final cut pro OMF file and audio to Cubase 4.5.1 PROBLEM - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Final cut pro OMF file and audio to Cubase 4.5.1 PROBLEM
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Final cut pro OMF file and audio to Cubase 4.5.1 PROBLEM

My editor created an OMF and after I imported it into Cubase 4.5.1, all the stereo tracks had been summed to mono tracks and then duplicated. Could this be a setting in my editor's Final Cut Pro OMF creation that caused this or is there a known issuse with Cubase 4.5.1? There is another update to Cubase- 4.5.2 but I'm always leary of updates unless I KNOW it will fix things. HELP NEEDED SOON! Thanks in advance!
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Wow! Nobody knows about anything with this issue?
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't think there are a lot of people on here using Cubase for post. I've never heard of Final Cut doing anything like that to an OMF. Sometimes it will render new media when there are nested sequences. I don't believe OMF supports stereo tracks, so it will come across as 2 mono tracks that need to be panned. Thats normal.

What is the material? Music, 2 mics, etc? You're positive it is stereo before the output?

Nuendo and Cubase have a history of weird OMF issues, but usually only when trying to exchange with Pro Tools.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Does the mono track in C4 still show a L/R wave form from the Final Cut stereo track? If so, there are ways to split it properly into 2 mono tracks.

If that mono track is actually the L/R file from Final Cut mixed into one mono file.. then somewhere it must have actually got rendered which would most likely happen in the OMF export from Final Cut.

How big is the OMF file?

I assume you are using OMF 2? Is all of the OMF information retained inside the OMF file you got? Or is the audio referenced to another location?

Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
What is the material? Music, 2 mics, etc? You're positive it is stereo before the output?
The material is music and foley that is stereo. I saw a screen shot from my editor's Final cut and he has them set up correctly as stereo.

Quote:
Does the mono track in C4 still show a L/R wave form from the Final Cut stereo track? If so, there are ways to split it properly into 2 mono tracks.
How would I look for this? I don't believe I understand this. I can look more closely again. Elaborate please. I don't want 2 mono tracks. I want the stereo track that came from my editor 2 come in in stereo in Cubase. Right now it appears that the stereo was summed to mono and then duplicated into 2 mono tracks- not good.

I don't have the OMF infront of me so I don't know the size. I'm using Cubase 4.5.1. All the automation from Final Cut was properly retained when it came into Cubase. Just the stereo tracks got screwed up.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
As stated before, OMF won't support stereo tracks. I'm not familiar with FCP but if there is a stereo interleaved track perhaps this is why it is doubling up in C4? I've imported FCP OMF's into C4 without a problem, music (or anything else in stereo) shows up as two mono files, then just link the tracks. Or you could use a tool like De-interleaver to create a stereo interleaved file:
Software

John.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the info guys.
πŸ“ Reply