Quantcast
Batman goes Bale-istic with profane tirade on crew - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Batman goes Bale-istic with profane tirade on crew
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years

I'll tell you this much. If he thought he could talk to me like this he would find out real quick that I'm unimpressed with his stature as an all mighty, spoiled brat actor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOS ANGELES - Dark Knight indeed.

Christian Bale can be heard in newly surfaced audio delivering a long, profanity-laced verbal thrashing to a cinematographer and anyone who tried to calm him down on the set of the upcoming "Terminator Salvation."

The three-minute clip was posted Monday on the Web site TMZ.com.

In it, the actor who portrayed Batman in "The Dark Knight" rails against cinematographer Shane Hurlbut for apparently walking behind co-star Bryce Dallas Howard and through Bale's line of sight, considered a film-set foul.

"If you do it one more time I ain't walking on this set if you're still hired!" Bale howls in one of the few publishable moments from the clip.

Later, he screams: "Do you want me to go and trash your lights? Do you want me to go and trash them? ... Then why are you trashing my scene?"

The incident took place last July on the set at Kirtland Air Force Base in New Mexico, days before Bale would face assault allegations from his mother and sister in London. Charges were never filed because his family did not want to press the matter and because prosecutors said there was a lack of sufficient evidence.

Bale's is the only voice that is audible on the tape, though he's clearly responding to Hurlbut, the film's director McG, and others trying to persuade him to relax.

"Let's not take a (expletive) minute! Let's go again!" he yells at one point.

A phone message left early Tuesday with a publicist for the 35-year-old actor wasn't immediately returned.
Attached Files

ChristianBaleAudio.mp3 (4.36 MB, 1136 views)

Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➑️
I'll tell you this much. If he thought he could talk to me like this he would find out real quick that I'm unimpressed with his stature as an all mighty, spoiled brat actor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOS ANGELES - Dark Knight indeed.

Christian Bale can be heard in newly surfaced audio delivering a long, profanity-laced verbal thrashing to a cinematographer and anyone who tried to calm him down on the set of the upcoming "Terminator Salvation."

The three-minute clip was posted Monday on the Web site TMZ.com.

In it, the actor who portrayed Batman in "The Dark Knight" rails against cinematographer Shane Hurlbut for apparently walking behind co-star Bryce Dallas Howard and through Bale's line of sight, considered a film-set foul.

"If you do it one more time I ain't walking on this set if you're still hired!" Bale howls in one of the few publishable moments from the clip.

Later, he screams: "Do you want me to go and trash your lights? Do you want me to go and trash them? ... Then why are you trashing my scene?"

The incident took place last July on the set at Kirtland Air Force Base in New Mexico, days before Bale would face assault allegations from his mother and sister in London. Charges were never filed because his family did not want to press the matter and because prosecutors said there was a lack of sufficient evidence.

Bale's is the only voice that is audible on the tape, though he's clearly responding to Hurlbut, the film's director McG, and others trying to persuade him to relax.

"Let's not take a (expletive) minute! Let's go again!" he yells at one point.

A phone message left early Tuesday with a publicist for the 35-year-old actor wasn't immediately returned.
There's more to this than is contained here, as you might expect. For more BG check the relevant threads on JWSound and RAMPS.

I've been around MANY on-set tirades like this over the years, some directed at me personally. They are REALLY counter-productive, shake everyone up and kill morale and momentum. And there is usually plenty of guilt to go around for all those involved.

Philip Perkins
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Question is, why did the studio release it?

Cheap promotion tactics if you ask me..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow!!! Nobody, barring some horrible act, deserves to be talked to that way ever. But...karma is in fact a b!tch and loves to come back and bite you in the a$$.

Tell me that after this if a producer is deciding between CB and somebody else he's not going to think about the horrible shroud of excrement he put on this set and decide to go with an actual professional.
cam
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze ➑️

The studio didn't release this, I think it was someone on the crew that probably wanted to let people know what's up with CB and how it is to work with him.

In case you didn't notice I've attached the actual audio clip on the first post. If you haven't listened to it, I suggest you check it out.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Can anyone else imagine how there is a white powder spot left on his nose while he screams?
But lets turn this into a learning opportunity. How would you guys handle this kind of behavior? I mean, he's hired for this project. How would you handle him, if you know you have to stick with this guy for a couple of months?
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raketel ➑️
Can anyone else imagine how there is a white powder spot left on his nose while he screams?
But lets turn this into a learning opportunity. How would you guys handle this kind of behavior? I mean, he's hired for this project. How would you handle him, if you know you have to stick with this guy for a couple of months?
Fix him on Hydrocodone instead.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Dark Knight was one of the all time ~WORST~ hunks of **** I have ever seen.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The studio didn't release this, I think it was someone on the crew that probably wanted to let people know what's up with CB and how it is to work with him.

In case you didn't notice I've attached the actual audio clip on the first post. If you haven't listened to it, I suggest you check it out.
While I'm not trying to excuse this kinda behavior, I can't judge the situation without knowing what led him to snap. Seems like the dude is having a bad day, and whatever happened on set made him snap.

Still why give this to the public? Especially to the TMZ vultures? Surely whoever had the original audio made a pretty penny off it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze ➑️

How does this promote the film??? If anything it makes a sane, reasonable person not want to pay money to see this ass.

On a side note, you know people are gonna sample the hell out of this. I am tonight.fuuck
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez ➑️
We should try that technique when producers sit behind us talking on the phone about what restaurant to go to while we are trying to mix.

"You unprofessional %%$%@ twit!!! #$%$%& ell!!! Talkin loudly while I'm @$% trying to @$%$ mix your @$%@$ movie!!!! Shut the $%% UP you ignorant amateur $%@$ pro %$%@ing ducer!

Works every time. Now...let's do it again.
Well, I'm sure we've all wanted to at some point lol , but for several reasons we don't. #1 being a paycheck.

None of you guys have ever snapped? Road Rage? Airports?

I've seen countless people explode in similar situations. Because he's a famous actor people freak out. It's still a job, and sometimes jobs suck.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Check the youtube remix, it's hilarious!
YouTube - Bale Out - RevoLucian's Christian Bale Remix!

Should he have been pissed off? Absolutely. Should it have gone on that long and to that degree? Absolutely not.
My 2Β’
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i think the people who are scandalized by his potty-mouth are overlooking the fact that he has a point. and it doesn't sound like the crew is saying "true, i fukked up", it sounds like they're saying stuff like, "please calm down" and other placating stuff that only inflames the problem.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey ➑️
i think the people who are scandalized by his potty-mouth are overlooking the fact that he has a point. and it doesn't sound like the crew is saying "true, i fukked up", it sounds like they're saying stuff like, "please calm down" and other placating stuff that only inflames the problem.
Shane says, "I'm sorry" six seconds into the recording.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathand ➑️
Shane says, "I'm sorry" six seconds into the recording.
ah, so. well...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
First of all it was the DP. (Director of Photography) who stepped into the shot twice!!
A seasoned DP should know better.

When you're deep into production, and the studio has already laid out millions, the director (McG) can only put out the fire as politically as he can. There's no excuse when you have to call the insurance underwriter, and explain your lead actor walked out.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The audio was sent by the producers to their completion-bond insurance company to keep them informed about Mr. Bale's behaviour--I think they were afraid that he would quit. I understand Mr. Bale also had some legal problems he was fighting unrelated to the film at that time, hence their worry. The audio was rolling because the meltdown started during a take, and no one said "cut". What the beef was leading up to this moment between the DP (Shane Hurlbut) and CB I don't know, but I doubt this came out of the blue. In any case, people at the top of the food chain on big movies are under tremendous pressure, so this kind of thing happens once in awhile. The real perpetrators of unprofessional acts are those who set this audio clip loose on the web. I do think that is an invasion of privacy.

Philip Perkins
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound ➑️
First of all it was the DP. (Director of Photography) who stepped into the shot twice!!

When you're deep into production, and the studio has already laid out millions, the director (McG) can only put out the fire as politically as he can. There's no excuse when you have to call the insurance underwriter, and explain your lead actor walked out.
A first time DP should know better but people make mistakes and professionals move on.

Are you arguing that CB's reaction was proportional?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Are you arguing that CB's reaction was proportional?
No, not at all, but what's the director to do??
Yes, CB was over the top, but he knew he had the upper hand. So did the director.

Shane acknowledged walking into the shot twice!!! He is an experienced DP, that was an amateurish blunder.

Hey I sat there blank faced, while a certain supermodel reamed me out because the receptionist gave her limo driver the wrong directions to the studio!!! That was before 45 minutes of ADR with her. What are you going to do?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
To me this just exemplifies the idea that huge ego's, power and greed can = misery.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i haven't heard the clip, and am kinda scared to listen, but...

as mentioned previously, how do you handle something like this? especially if it's directed at you. even if you have hand-to-hand CQC training or whatever, how do you diffuse a client that seems near berzerk-mode and on the verge of violence?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubivore ➑️
i haven't heard the clip, and am kinda scared to listen, but...

as mentioned previously, how do you handle something like this? especially if it's directed at you. even if you have hand-to-hand CQC training or whatever, how do you diffuse a client that seems near berzerk-mode and on the verge of violence?
I have to say I was disturbed and quite pumped up after listening to the clip.

It definitely shows the dark side of snow I mean show business.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper ➑️
The audio was sent by the producers to their completion-bond insurance company to keep them informed about Mr. Bale's behaviour--I think they were afraid that he would quit. I understand Mr. Bale also had some legal problems he was fighting unrelated to the film at that time, hence their worry. The audio was rolling because the meltdown started during a take, and no one said "cut". What the beef was leading up to this moment between the DP (Shane Hurlbut) and CB I don't know, but I doubt this came out of the blue. In any case, people at the top of the food chain on big movies are under tremendous pressure, so this kind of thing happens once in awhile. The real perpetrators of unprofessional acts are those who set this audio clip loose on the web. I do think that is an invasion of privacy.

Philip Perkins

i agree with you man. for one, there is not enough info here. the leak was from the insurance people and not the production team. and who9 knows what leads up to this. also, in context.. **** like this happens all the time in jobs everywhere.

as for IMO:

if you are with the pressure of doing a performance for a film that millions and millions are invested in.. man your nerves are already tight.. and then a DP fuks up twice. i mean if its only once then ok but twice or 3 times you do yell at him.
but the director should of said something or take control but with a star like that its tricky.

IMO its also (i maybe preaching to the wrong crowd here ) is that LA and similar to Nashville is that things like this will go differently; the actor will go to the producers and tell them to fire him instead of being up in your face. still, a little too much screaming which took too long and energy. but its the same things is that he is not hiding about it or being hypocrite like many in LA are. cause you know the same thing is being said behind peoples back. now the DP is going to know to not go into the scene, thats for sure. ! heh

imo; bale should have just scream at him byhimself and not create a scene. still its hilarious and i'd be cracking up if i was part of the crew (except for the dp)

and BTW, if you are investing so much money in a film why hire a DP that doesnt know this basic things?

also, if id where the DP... after a minute of bale screaming at me and saying if you are still here i am not working... and i know i am screwed id scream at him back! saying stupid **** and making him hit me 1st and get a huge payday !!! yeah

this is funny as hell the way it got so out of proportion so fast
for something so stupid/
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Reminds me of the Buddy Rich outtakes. Over the bus's roar, the drummer/bandleader methodically reams out his musicians after what he considered a lousy performance. Uses many of the same words, too. Worth seeking out.

3rd&4thT
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Quote:
MO its also (i maybe preaching to the wrong crowd here ) is that LA and similar to Nashville is that things like this will go differently; the actor will go to the producers and tell them to fire him instead of being up in your face. still, a little too much screaming which took too long and energy. but its the same things is that he is not hiding about it or being hypocrite like many in LA are. cause you know the same thing is being said behind peoples back. now the DP is going to know to not go into the scene, thats for sure. !
I agree with these points.

Actually when I heard the recording today, I didn't think he was overly ridiculous. Bale was angry but if you sort through the language and listen to what he says, you realize what he's trying to articulate. It was probably amateur night more than once with this DP and that's why the actor finally had it. Bale actually mentions that it affects his work and that his mind won't be in the scene etc. I bet the distraction was most likely unnecessary and probably could have waited till the scene ended.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have to say I'm really surprised by some of these comments. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion. It's actually quite interesting to me to think of the psychological motivations behind the angle some people view this situation. Like I said everyone is certainly free to view it anyway they want. I do believe in forgiveness and if CB asked for forgiveness and cleaned up his act I would certainly be willing to forgive and forget. I just could never imagine treating another person that way especially on a set in front of a bunch of other people.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been yelled at by one the greatest actors of all time during an ADR session. It lasted about 15 seconds. I absolutely made a mistake. I apologized and we got back to work.

Everybody agrees that CB was in the right to be upset. But nobody is going to convince me that anyone has the right to verbally abuse a subordinate coworker for 5 minutes eventually threatening physical harm over a blown take.

If this type of behavior is apparently acceptable in production, I'm sure glad I'm in post!
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- ➑️
Dark Knight was one of the all time ~WORST~ hunks of **** I have ever seen.

hmmmm.........

Well written, Well acted, flawless cinematography, hole-less script, complex plot with several substantial sub-plots, great special effects (mostly in-camera)............

yeah, what's to like about that.......no accounting for taste, I suppose.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathand ➑️
I've been yelled at by one the greatest actors of all time during an ADR session. It lasted about 15 seconds. I absolutely made a mistake. I apologized and we got back to work.

Everybody agrees that CB was in the right to be upset. But nobody is going to convince me that anyone has the right to verbally abuse a subordinate coworker for 5 minutes eventually threatening physical harm over a blown take.

If this type of behavior is apparently acceptable in production, I'm sure glad I'm in post!
I agree with this absolutely. That extended rant was ridiculous. . . unprofessional and amateur.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have to say I'm really surprised by some of these comments. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion. It's actually quite interesting to me to think of the psychological motivations behind the angle some people view this situation. Like I said everyone is certainly free to view it anyway they want. I do believe in forgiveness and if CB asked for forgiveness and cleaned up his act I would certainly be willing to forgive and forget. I just could never imagine treating another person that way especially on a set in front of a bunch of other people.
Isn't yelling at the DP kind of like screaming at your plastic surgeon just before you go under the knife? Why would you want to alienate the people who are responsible for making you look good?
πŸ“ Reply