The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Batman goes Bale-istic with profane tirade on crew
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&4thT ➡️
From the Boston Herald:

Joseph “McG” Mcginty Nichol, director of “Terminator: Salvation” has come to Christian Bale’s defense after the actor’s obscenity-laced outburst on the set was released in audio form. “The film set is a passionate place, and it happens,” McG said. “There was no version of, ‘Oh, Christian is going to whip his ass.’ It was just sort of a blowup.” He didn’t want to stop Bale. “We let it run its course, and it did. You obviously only get to hear the explicit parts,” he said. In the tape, Bale verbally bashes the film’s director of photography, Shane Hurlbut, after he accidentally entered the actor’s sight lines during filming.

Somehow the professionals involved, Bale, Hurlbut and McG, managed to deal with this. Why are we having so much trouble with it?

3rd&4thT
Shouldn't that statement have been "We let it run its course and then we were so freaked out about Bale's threat to walk off the set that we turned it over to the insurance company?"

This was quite a bit more than ruffled feathers and the close-knit community of professionals that wants to assign blame and/or ignore it simply isn't dealing with the fact that if Bale had walked off because he was angry at the DP for "ruining a take", a lot of people's lives would have been adversely affected. Noblesse oblige...and when you're getting paid a huge salary, you owe it to the people who surround you at lesser salaries to keep your temper in check. Acting doesn't automatically excuse you from behaving well in real life and when you aren't acting, speaking lines, you're dealing with real life. The Troggs were pretty amusing, too, but I wouldn't want to work with them. Bale was right to apologize and the director was right to act as though it was no big thing. They both want to work again, no fools they...but having to deal with the insurance company was probably not pleasant for either of them, or their managers, I'll bet.

When actors threaten to walk, investors get very, very nervous. Bale's a good actor, but there are a lot of good actors and less and less money to fund feature films.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1145 ➡️
the DP's IMDB page
" Up 691,633% in popularity this week"

I still think it's just cheap promotion

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i think it is impossible to have the point man - singer/ actor be someone who is
ego free when the entire production is hinged on their performance

obviously, cb was abusive

i think he is one of the five or six best actors working
"rescue dawn" is a masterpiece
"american psycho" is a masterpiece

do you get that from someone who is calm and easy to work with ?

be well

- jack
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom ➡️

be well

- jack
One can be energetic without being abusive. I've been in various parts of the entertainment biz for 35 years. There's no correlation between being a jerk and having talent. Sometimes you put up with talented people who have emotional problems, but it gets draining after a while. The ancillary legal problems, finance problems, insurance issues start to wear thin on production companies trying to make a return on stuff that has a snowball's chance in hell of making a profit. Yes, you want to have names to attract money, but if that also attracts problems, even with talent, then taking a chance on a new person who doesn't cost as much starts to look pretty damn good.

Character actors are the ones with the longest careers, not pretty boy leading men and character actors better be pretty damned devoid of ego. Otherwise they can't let go of themselves and allow themselves to become unattractive.

I don't wish any harm to Christian Bale or his career. I do think, however, he has some emotional issues that should be dealt with if he wants to have a long career.
Otherwise he will become more well known for his problems than his acting because the press loves to drill right into people who have a weak spot. They don't let up. They taunt famous people just to get an ugly pic or statement. It's one of the reasons people move away from Hollywood to Nashville, although I've started seeing indications that we're getting a lot of stringers here. I suppose the next thing is TMZ hanging out at Bread and Company...ugh.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom ➡️
i think it is impossible to have the point man - singer/ actor be someone who is
ego free when the entire production is hinged on their performance

obviously, cb was abusive

i think he is one of the five or six best actors working
"rescue dawn" is a masterpiece
"american psycho" is a masterpiece

be well

- jack
Personally, I agree that Mr. Bale is an outstanding actor. However he chooses to 'get' to his character is up to him. Also personally, a lot of actors could learn a thing or two from Sir Anthony Hopkins: show up, say the lines, go home, collect pay. Win accolades from your peers. Repeat.

my $0.02
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfriah ➡️
Personally, I agree that Mr. Bale is an outstanding actor. However he chooses to 'get' to his character is up to him. Also personally, a lot of actors could learn a thing or two from Sir Anthony Hopkins: show up, say the lines, go home, collect pay. Win accolades from your peers. Repeat.

my $0.02
I've seen "The World's Fastest Indian" several times. A wonderfully inspiring movie with a brilliant cast and terrific soundtrack/sfx.

I love that movie and Hopkins is always amazing to watch, whether he's playing a cruel killer or a strong-hearted aging man with a dream.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➡️
Uh, not entirely. You have been hired to do a job by a superior. You have to PROVE your fitness to do the tasks you've been hired to perform. The boss doesn't HAVE to prove he's worthy of giving you orders. This maybe personally so to you, -- whether you decide you LIKE the boss and can continue to work for him, but your job and your livelihood do not depend upon it.

If you've been hired you effectively are unknown until you earn the respect of your peers and the boss.
I suppose I should have been explicit i meant personal respect not professional though yes they do overlap.
Anyway Bale has admitted he was over the top, enough said, he is the star he is gonna get the press bad or good and he gets paid very well for it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Usually I'm bummed about working with tiny budgets in theatre.... but if film budgets create this kind of stressful work environment.... maybe i'll stick to the stage.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by minister ➡️
I don't think the DP walked onto a hot set, I think he was walking around outside it inspecting lights and it was distracting to Mr Bale.

But I think I found Mr. Bale's next career move :
YouTube - Winnebago Man
By the way, Minister----THANK YOU for that. I forgot to thank you. I haven't seen that f8cker in years!

gotta go slate it now...
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➡️
Daniel Day-Lewis is well known for doing this. It tends to drive people crazy, including himself, but I guess people put up with it because his performances are so remarkable.

You know, in the arts, there's not one way to be or to approach ones work. For one person an approach may be a bunch of crap, but for someone else it may be standard operating procedure. It's best not to generalize.

I could imagine that being warned that you are "going to get your milkshake drank" could get old after a while.
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Old 7th April 2009 | Show parent
Jam
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
And the spin off merchandising is now available.

Christian Bale and I are done professionally

James
Old 4th June 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
sorry to bump that old **** up again. i know i am kind of late for the party,
but i just felt like there is room for another Christian Bale RMX ;-)
this time it's war ... just got my new JVM amp today so i had to metal i bit after finding his rant ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➡️
Batman goes Bale-istic with profane tirade on crew

LOS ANGELES - Dark Knight indeed.

Christian Bale can be heard in newly surfaced audio delivering a long, profanity-laced verbal thrashing to a cinematographer and anyone who tried to calm him down on the set of the upcoming "Terminator Salvation."

The three-minute clip was posted Monday on the Web site TMZ.com.

In it, the actor who portrayed Batman in "The Dark Knight" rails against cinematographer Shane Hurlbut for apparently walking behind co-star Bryce Dallas Howard and through Bale's line of sight, considered a film-set foul.

"If you do it one more time I ain't walking on this set if you're still hired!" Bale howls in one of the few publishable moments from the clip.

Later, he screams: "Do you want me to go and trash your lights? Do you want me to go and trash them? ... Then why are you trashing my scene?"

The incident took place last July on the set at Kirtland Air Force Base in New Mexico, days before Bale would face assault allegations from his mother and sister in London. Charges were never filed because his family did not want to press the matter and because prosecutors said there was a lack of sufficient evidence.

Bale's is the only voice that is audible on the tape, though he's clearly responding to Hurlbut, the film's director McG, and others trying to persuade him to relax.

"Let's not take a (expletive) minute! Let's go again!" he yells at one point.

A phone message left early Tuesday with a publicist for the 35-year-old actor wasn't immediately returned.
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry to bump this fossil but, this hits home personaly. I've worked on many big budget films and, there is definitly a common thread of verbal disrespect between crew. I've had similar happen to me and in front of me. Though he was right to be upset, there is no exuse to verbaly abuse anyone on set, ever. If someones work is sub par, point it out via talkin as adults. If it persists, take your complaint to the director and let them deal. Same in any work place.
Old 28th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Many people don't realize that "action actors" often use pharmaceuticals to modify there physiques (e.g. Steroids). A common side effect of hormonal manipulate can be explosive anger.

I certainly don't approve.... I'm just saying.
📝 Reply