Quantcast
Batman goes Bale-istic with profane tirade on crew - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Batman goes Bale-istic with profane tirade on crew
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If this happened in the military he would be in violation of Article 117 in the UCMJ - Provoking Speeches or Gestures.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
One thing that we may have overlooked in all this, is that according to the DP's IMDB page he's pretty young in the business and this seems to be his biggest movie by far. What we consider innapropriate etiquette from his behalf might be that he just never lived this before on other sets.
Live and learn

I seriously doubt that this was put his career in any form of jeopardy, because at the end of the shoot it's what's on film that counts and how it looks. If he lights the film well, he'll keep working. All that will have happened is that he will have learned not to walk around on the set in the middle of a take.

I dont think we should even keep talking about all this, it's just blowing out of proportion. All people are not considered equal in the temper department, and the same goes for talent. Why not leave it at that?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➡️
If this happened in the military he would be in violation of Article 117 in the UCMJ - Provoking Speeches or Gestures.
It's interesting that you bring a military paradigm into this, as I was sort of thinking something along a somewhat tangential direction... there is a certain "chain of command" on a set that needs to be followed. Above the line / below the line crew could be your officer / enlisted relationship. Officers are the "liberally educated gentlemen" (those grounded in the biz as an art) who make the big decisions or are responsible for disseminating the orders from above. Enlisted are the tradesmen, the professionals in their particular discipline. Sound department falls below the line, but sound is one department in particular that has a very critical function - action can't be called until they are rolling and happy with conditions and have major decision making power towards deciding if something needs a retake. The sound department head, the first mixer, would probably be akin to a Warrant Officer, or someone who is from the enlisted ranks, but given officer position and rank in order to fulfill a specialized function at an officer level.

Where do actors fit into this? Some actors have been in the business so long, that they approach a level of professionalism that makes them seem like one of the crew... some actors eventually actually officially step over the border and become above the line crew themselves. But for the most part, actors should be considered a resource... like a tank, a rifle, ammunition, or a spare pair of socks (the extras). The talent is there to perform a specific function. Lead actors are very expensive and high maintenance pieces of equipment. When they break down, you don't argue with it or try to teach it a lesson, you get it fixed and put back into service. You simply can't do your job if your equipment, your resources, are not in working order.

Now as a human being, CB displayed pretty poor characteristic traits. Taken out of context, however, none of use can truly determine how far over the line he went, if at all. Maybe he was still "acting" and maybe he meant no real disrespect to the DP and it was mutually understood that whatever transpired was not that big of a deal to any of the parties involved. As unlikely as that really is, it is true that the DP screwed up. But hey, that's ok, he's human and allowed to do that. As a person, he can say anything he wants back to CB as another person, because no matter who you are, you are never above being treated in turn... if you dish it out, prepare to eat it. The problem, however, is that the DP is a professional on the job. CB is no where in the DP's chain of command. CB is an asset for the crew. The DP should have taken the lead from the director, apologized as a human to another human, but then moved on and stopped the conversation there. Sure he has the "right" to say whatever he wants back, but he has the professional obligation to not treat the set as a social experiment and suddenly value his emotions and ego at the expense of the whole production.

I've never worked on a major Hollywood production, but if I did, I can find it understandable that the DP behaved the way that he did, but while everyone is focussing on CB's behavior, it is really the DP that should be focussed in on here, for he is really the only one that did anything wrong. CB might have been a jackass, but he was not doing anything that was out of the ordinary for an actor. I wouldn't say that the DP did anything "career ending" and it is certainly not CB's place to say so or not. At the end of the day, this was really a minor incident made into a mountain due to the public exposure and flurry of explicative phrases... a sort of circus performance.

Personally, if I was in the DP's position, it would be hard for me to keep my mouth shut, so I'm certainly not criticizing him as a human being - my criticism is simply from a professional viewpoint and the technical break in chain of command. If it were me, I'm not sure if I would have been able to think through the logical chain of events that would result in my career ending fistfight with a major actor - but given enough time to think things through and cool down, at the end of the day the DP clearly made a minor to medium mistake. God, lets stop talking about CB. I don't know him, I doubt anyone here really knows him, even if they worked with him on occasion, so lets differentiate ourselves from the non-professional chat forums, tabloids, coffee-talk BS and move on already.

(although I must say that I find some of the music remixes that were linked here quite funny)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jay Leno made an amusing comparison:

How Christian Bale handles pressure and things going wrong.

vs.

How Capt. Chesley Sullenberger handles pressure and things going wrong.

I don't blame CB for getting royally pissed and screaming at the guy, but IMO he gets a bit carried away. At around 0:50, this went from righteous indignation to silliness - after you cross that line, you start to lose the respect of those around you and diminish the effect your words can have.

-Dan.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdefault ➡️
First, I'd like to say I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts. It's interesting how the opinions on this thread seem to be split almost 50/50.

I read a poll the other day which simply asked whether or not Bale was out of line, and at the time, the results were 56%/44%, with the slight lead going to the "Bale was out of line" camp.

Ultimately, I think the argument prevails that Bale was out of line, because in both camps, there's general agreement that he had a reason to be angry. The debate really is over the extremity of his actions.

IMO, one need look no further than when Bale threatened physical violence. Do you guys in the pro Bale camp honestly think this is professional? Do you think there is contractual leniency for threats of assault on movie sets?

Let's not confuse the cause vs the effect. The DP's mistake was no excuse for Bale to threaten him to that degree. This wasn't WWF or the Jerry Springer show. To give anyone license to be able to act the way Bale did is misguided IMO, and ultimately counterproductive to any work environment.

-SD
Well put once again. Yes the threat of violence is what settles it for me, but people in the Bale camp have been ignoring this I think.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uosdwis ➡️
As long as we're theorizing, the DP probably isn't immune to pressure anymore than the lead actor is. For all we know, there may have been instances just before this recording took place where the DP was slammed by the director/producers for delaying production when taking time to adjust some lights or whatever.

From the clip, all we know is that CB says it's the second time (today? ever?) it happened. The DP does apologize to begin with (and without any sort of attitude, at least that I can detect) and when pressed for an explanation he says he was looking at the lights. I think he was just taken by surprise by the violent reaction and tried to defend himself when it just didn't seem to end. I didn't hear him place the blame on anyone else or saying it wasn't his fault, as is claimed above. To me, it sounds like he's very aware that he messed up big time. That doesn't mean he didn't need to be called on it, of course.

While I understand CB's reaction, two things strike me as utterly unprofessional:
1) when you're blowing up like that, it should be over as quickly as it starts. You yell, say a few curse words, and you're done. CB is indulging himself, and he's allowed it. He starts over again and again and supplies 100% of the fuel for the fire. Come on, four minutes?
2) threatening to kick the DP's ass. Either you resort to physical violence instantly and without thinking, as part of blowing up, or you simply don't go there.

The one that really messed up here is the director, in my opinion. Being God, as Charles puts it, he should ideally have prevented the situation, but in any case never have let it go as far as it did. Within ten seconds, this could have been over and then dealt with on a professional level.

I agree wholeheartedly.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I'm not ignoring the violence. The violence never happened. There are threats of violence without charges every day -- here on GS! So the DP should file charges. See how far it goes.

Violence real or in threat is NEVER good. I don't think ANYONE here supported Bales actions. They just think he was justified in getting angry with a slacker. That the slacker was wrong and culpable for bringing on Bales ire and was culpable for being a royal PITA PRIOR to Bale losing it
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➡️
Just that you have a definite opinion about what happened without having been there - without having the data. So when a person does that I assume there's a reason for stepping out on a limb I don''t see exists. So I guess assuming "Cut!" would have been uttered.

Not being hostile. Just curious.
Don't get where you are coming from though of course I understand the words. I haven't stepped out on any limb. Clearly the DP was checking lights in the line of vision of CB. Something he should not have been doing. He should have waited between takes. As Charles detailed, the stakes are high on these sets.

Imagine walking in on Jeff Beck tracking a guitar solo and start checking cable connection within his lone of vision. not cool.

But a tirade like is uncalled for, even if it what the DP was a pattern of behavior. There is "fault" on both sides. (Even though I have flown off the handle on occaision.)

Truly though, a tirade like that is not completely about the subject, it is a reflection on the state of the author.

But REALLY : Did you see the Winnebago Man???
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ahh, you beat me to it
Here's another:

A Repentant Christian Bale Asks: 'Have You Ever Had a Bad Day?'

Lets all talk about gear again now, shall we? Given that it happened on the set, and not in post, we shouldn't have been discussing it here anyway, right? haha

Have a nice weekend everyone!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by minister ➡️
Don't get where you are coming from though of course I understand the words. I haven't stepped out on any limb. Clearly the DP was checking lights in the line of vision of CB. Something he should not have been doing. He should have waited between takes. As Charles detailed, the stakes are high on these sets.

Imagine walking in on Jeff Beck tracking a guitar solo and start checking cable connection within his lone of vision. not cool.

But a tirade like is uncalled for, even if it what the DP was a pattern of behavior. There is "fault" on both sides. (Even though I have flown off the handle on occaision.)

Truly though, a tirade like that is not completely about the subject, it is a reflection on the state of the author.

But REALLY : Did you see the Winnebago Man???
No, I never saw that. What's it?

From the above post, it seems as though we're talking the same side of the argument?

I guess I'm careful not to add things I don't know for a fact. I try not to assume things and to come to conclusions based on assumptions made, which may be accurate or not.

Yes, Bales actions were excessive. A tirade like that is -- I don't know that uncalled for is quite what I would say, but excessive in the extreme, perhaps.

The DP was clearly out of line and perhaps in waters too deep for his talent. Or maybe he was just having an exceptionally bad day too. Bad days happen, which is not to excuse ones culpability. It just normally means your attention is too scattered, for various reasons, which can be dangerous for people around you.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
YouTube - Winnebago Man

What's best microphone for recording a tirade?

How's that Joe?
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMilner ➡️
Ahh, you beat me to it

heh
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
LOL! That was great! I don't remember the last time I laughed so much. Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"The thing that I want to stress is that I have no confusion whatsoever. I was out of order beyond belief. I was way out of order. I acted like a punk -- I regret that, and there is nobody that has heard that tape that is hit harder by it than me. So I make no excuses for it -- it is inexcusable, and I hope that is absolutely clear."

I respect Bale for admitting he was out of order. I also like that he used the word inexcusable. Some people here seemed to be making excuses for him but it's nice to hear the man in question step up to the plate and admit fault. I give him props for that and don't feel this is totally a PR thing, I think he was being pretty sincere.

Prima donna BS is just that and really has no place anywhere. We all should treat others as we would want to be treated regardless of social status or perceived "rank" etc.

Cheers + Peace and Dove

bcg
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
well I am glad you guys are so happy about it- since he was the only one to man up to any of it I am sure it something to be expected.....

Of course McG and the DP are not to heard from....

Oh wait.... here is McG....

I am really sorry that in the course of this controversy I was such a pathetic loser, losing control of MY set, to a childish tantrum. I really have no excuse for my lack of leadership beyond really enjoying the spectacle of Christian losing his mind.... we all made cell-phone movies of it and laughed our asses off for days following.....

oh- he really didnt say that.... instead he let his lead be publicly embarrassed.

oh well.... carry on.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➡️
"The thing that I want to stress is that I have no confusion whatsoever. I was out of order beyond belief. I was way out of order. I acted like a punk -- I regret that, and there is nobody that has heard that tape that is hit harder by it than me. So I make no excuses for it -- it is inexcusable, and I hope that is absolutely clear."

I respect Bale for admitting he was out of order. I also like that he used the word inexcusable. Some people here seemed to be making excuses for him but it's nice to hear the man in question step up to the plate and admit fault. I give him props for that and don't feel this is totally a PR thing, I think he was being pretty sincere.

Prima donna BS is just that and really has no place anywhere. We all should treat others as we would want to be treated regardless of social status or perceived "rank" etc.

Cheers + Peace and Dove

bcg
I really don't think of it as necessarily prima donna-ishness. But that's fine.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by minister ➡️
YouTube - Winnebago Man

What's best microphone for recording a tirade?

How's that Joe?
Am I the only one on the planet who never ever saw this? I'm a total Jack Rebney fan now!
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's another side of the story:

Quote:
y Sharon Waxman and Amy Kaufman

While the Web dissected Christian Bale’s reputation via snark, satire, censure and video remix, his co-workers on the set of “Terminator Salvation” stepped up to defend him for the tirade against Shane Hurlbut, the director of photography.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, set workers said that Bale, who plays the lead character John Connor in the $200 million-budget movie, was an uncommonly quiet actor and that on the day of his outburst he had been in the midst of an emotional scene with Bryce Howard. It was a blazing hot day in the middle of the summer. Bale had just returned from a grueling press tour to promote “The Dark Knight.” And he’d had run-ins with Hurlbut before. The two actors were shooting a very quiet, emotional scene. Hundreds of set workers had cleared out of the way to allow Bale and Howard to get into character, when Hurlbut came into the actor’s view repeatedly.

“It was a very emotional scene,” said one set worker, who could not speak for attribution because she signed a confidentiality agreement. “We cleared everyone out of their sight-line and Shane was the only one there. And he was wandering back and forth between Bryce and Christian’s eyeline.”

"It was justified. It was warranted,” said another set worker of the outburst, who also would not speak for attribution. “For him to be broken out of that scene at that moment was really really frustrating. In a way it’s disrespectful.”

The set workers said Hurlbut was not popular on the set, and few who were present that day felt any animosity toward Bale. “On our show, (Bale) was very mild-mannered, very quiet,” said the first set worker. “I only heard him get upset twice, and both times was at Shane.”

Many of the crew from “Terminator IV” are working together on another movie in Albequerque, New Mexico, and were dismayed to learn of the wave of disapproval coming toward Bale. Shortly after the summer outburst the actor was arrested in England for verbal abuse toward his mother. And in a sign of the viral nature of live recordings, it was the audio tape – whose source has not been determined, but may have come from the insurance company that kept a tape of the outburst – that set off the Internet wave. TMZ had reported the outburst back when it first occurred, but there were no repercussions at that time.
http://www.thewrap.com/article/1248
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Director Defends Bale

From the Boston Herald:

Joseph “McG” Mcginty Nichol, director of “Terminator: Salvation” has come to Christian Bale’s defense after the actor’s obscenity-laced outburst on the set was released in audio form. “The film set is a passionate place, and it happens,” McG said. “There was no version of, ‘Oh, Christian is going to whip his ass.’ It was just sort of a blowup.” He didn’t want to stop Bale. “We let it run its course, and it did. You obviously only get to hear the explicit parts,” he said. In the tape, Bale verbally bashes the film’s director of photography, Shane Hurlbut, after he accidentally entered the actor’s sight lines during filming.

Somehow the professionals involved, Bale, Hurlbut and McG, managed to deal with this. Why are we having so much trouble with it?

3rd&4thT
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Wow, some people are actually entertaining the idea of charging Bale with assault....

Either you really hate people more famous than you or you are a real slacker, who identifies with the knucklehead DP.

I have been verbally ripped apart by a superior before, but rather than act soft and say he assaulted me, I decided I'd better not make the same mistake twice. Some of you need to get a grip.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice Malone ➡️
Wow, some people are actually entertaining the idea of charging Bale with assault....

Either you really hate people more famous than you or you are a real slacker, who identifies with the knucklehead DP.

I have been verbally ripped apart by a superior before, but rather than act soft and say he assaulted me, I decided I'd better not make the same mistake twice. Some of you need to get a grip.

Respect has to be earned and that applies to your so called 'superiors' aswell they are not immune.
Both were obviously being disrespectful and i would have something to say to any person who treated me in the way in which Bale did(I would have something to say to the DP aswell if i was in Bale's shoes but in a different way I would hope!), superior or not, that is the moral code i try to live by(it has failed e few times!!!) take it or leave it.....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Listened to it. I've worked on sets for a couple of years.

The DP should have left it at being sorry, shut up and let CB's bad mood fizzle out. You don't talk back to people that important to a shoot. You take the heat and apologize again later when things have wrapped. Then you might get back some professional respect from an actor. If anything actors are amongst the most volatile folks on a set with the director usually coming in at a close second.

This is far from the worst I've seen and heard, and CBs rant wasn't nicely worded, but then he didn't dish out the abuse for no reason.

I'm sure the DP has had his nerves steeled a bit.

I had to laugh at this recording most of the way through.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean L ➡️
Respect has to be earned and that applies to your so called 'superiors' aswell they are not immune.
Uh, not entirely. You have been hired to do a job by a superior. You have to PROVE your fitness to do the tasks you've been hired to perform. The boss doesn't HAVE to prove he's worthy of giving you orders. This maybe personally so to you, -- whether you decide you LIKE the boss and can continue to work for him, but your job and your livelihood do not depend upon it.

If you've been hired you effectively are unknown until you earn the respect of your peers and the boss.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Exactly. Let's say you have a gardener or housekeeper who cuts the wrong shrub or breaks a precious vase. The person who hires you blasts you to kingdom come. It wasn't pleasant. In fact he/she was a complete asshole about it. But who's fault was it? If you need/want the job or at least want their references, you take it, and don't talk back.

And once again, in this case YOU are the one who has to earn the respect of your employers. Your employers don't HAVE to earn your respect. You earn their respect by being on time, doing great work, finding out what is needed and providing that service well beyond the call. After you've demonstrated that, you'll have brownie points to burn in case you actually DO f*** up.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
the DP was likely pulling down in excess of 1k per day.... would you take **** for that? for months on end.....?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes ➡️
the DP was likely pulling down in excess of 1k per day.... would you take **** for that? for months on end.....?
Sheesh. I'd expect competence for that money. I'd expect competence for far less. I wouldn't handle it the same way, but I might try to un-entangle him from the set, with some grace. I'd hope to step away and give myself a small time out. I'd hope to.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba_Pietrzak ➡️
I would like you to look at another aspect of this recording - the actual quality of the "dialog", which is the quality of lav mic and its placement...

Correct me, if I'm wrong - this is a really good production sound (I am not talking about processing). The actor moves really rapidly, but there is almost no cloth rustle in this recording. All words are pretty understandable and clear. The production sound team did a nice job IMHO...

regards,
Kuba

Wow! Some great comments here in this thread, folks! Nicely said, Kuba! A true audio professional. That was one of the first things *I* also thought when hearing this for the first time: "Hmm...that's an awful clean recording... if it was meant to have been an emotional scene, I'm wondering what the first bits sounded like before location mixer ramped down?!?!"

And Mr. Maynes, all of your comments were very well stated, sir. Kudos for all of that. (p.s.--big fan of all your 'booms and bangs' )

I do also have to admit...yeah, this is the post-production forum so 'not really the place', haha. But---the movie IS in post-production now, so? Fair game?

And to join the club: I have also been yelled at by "major star power" including one director who actually stood behind me yelling into my ear during an ADR session merely because I was slating the take too loudly and such. Bad days, temperments, the works. It all adds up.

And we take it. Because...everybody now: we're professionals!

Like my signature says: nothing scares me, I work in post.
📝 Reply