Batman goes Bale-istic with profane tirade on crew - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Batman goes Bale-istic with profane tirade on crew
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes ➡️
Your sentiments are respectful, but do not hold water in the enviornment. If there was a dollar saved for every senseless tirade in Hollywood, we would have a federal budget surplus.

A film like that is costing in excess of 500k per day of filming. the DP knows that- and let his false sense of entitlement create a situation that should never have occurred.

Bale is a pro, I really find it difficult believe he would act like that to someone that high up the ladder without a lot of really good (albiet undisclosed) reasons- and as he said himself, this wasn't the first time the DP fvcked up a scene without following very time honored protocols.

I still have to say that he really was correct in his actions in the longer view.

I mean we arent talking about vanity here, they were actually rolling film.

A musical equivalent would be someone going on stage during a performance to adjust a microphone for a lead vocalist in the middle of a performance. It is an unacceptable action unless the mic is actually dead.
Well as I said earlier,I dont think the money involved is an excuse, also, we will never know these undisclosed reasons if there are any, that is conjecture, even if the DP did feel a sense of entitlement the reaction of Bale was abusive(just had another listen) and in the longer view(I am talking about how to treat people which in this world is the longest view one should aspire to) incorrect.I mean he could have handled it alot better than he did! Im sure they both got over it in the longer view!
Anyway we will have to agree to disagree
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
A musical equivalent would be someone going on stage during a performance to adjust a microphone for a lead vocalist in the middle of a performance. It is an unacceptable action unless the mic is actually dead.
I was half thinking of that analogy, but was unsure if it applied.

A major US orchestra player who is now a highly respected professor, punched out a violist after a wristwatch beeped on the hour in concert one too many times.
(this was back in the 80's)

While his actions were also disproportional, I do understand how infuriating it is when you are trying to do your best and some bonehead is doing something which you perceive as disrespectful and disturbing.
If it was someone higher up in ranks like a conductor or producer, it would be absolutely infuriating.
I find that when I am on stage, I get hyper sensitive to these issues.

It is too bad this all leaked out.
I get the feeling that Charles is saying less than he could and no more than he should. You give off a very professional approach, as well as some interesting insight.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaukholm ➡️
I was half thinking of that analogy, but was unsure if it applied.

A major US orchestra player who is now a highly respected professor, punched out a violist after a wristwatch beeped on the hour in concert one too many times.
(this was back in the 80's)

While his actions were also disproportional, I do understand how infuriating it is when you are trying to do your best and some bonehead is doing something which you perceive as disrespectful and disturbing.
If it was someone higher up in ranks like a conductor or producer, it would be absolutely infuriating.
I find that when I am on stage, I get hyper sensitive to these issues.

It is too bad this all leaked out.
I get the feeling that Charles is saying less than he could and no more than he should. You give off a very professional approach, as well as some interesting insight.
Yeah actually i was thought experimenting on that analogy as well and Charles definitely has a point, I suppose nobody wins in a situation like this, i just think in this particular context(despite the analogies one can make)Bale's reaction was way out of order, but this probably comes out of my particular philosophy on life.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
No one has responded to my earlier question- Has anyone commenting here worked on set of a big budget film?

And second, how much would anyone be willing to guess does it cost per day of filming to make one?

I still contend these two things....

1. the DP was totally out of line for doing anything after the slate dropped. beyond sitting outside frame and allowing the director to control the action

2. Bale acted improperly.

#2 pales in importance against #1.
Yes, yes and yes.

Philip Perkins (CAS)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➡️
No. The conversation briefly bifurcated into actors who remain in character throughout the shoot. An offshoot of method acting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper ➡️
Yes, yes and yes.

Philip Perkins (CAS)

The Bifurcators

The Bifurcators (a band) is a project/partnership between Scott Fraser and myself. We generally use a mix of traditional and electronic instruments, digital signal processors and computer timing and performance controls to find new links between pre conceived ideas and serendipitous intuition in our live performance works. Our CDs GANG OF TWO and LIKE A BIRD IN THE WILDERNESS (on Artifact Records) are available from CDe/EMF. The Artifact website has detailed info about these albums, as well as info on the many other composers whose work is on this label. BIRD is a 38 minute work for piano and multiactive electronics that features (and was written for) "Blue" Gene Tyranny; GANG is a collection of 4 ensemble works for instruments, computers and\ other electronics that feature Tim Perkis (live computer synthesis and sound manipulation), Doug Carroll (cello and electronic cello), and Bonnie Barnett (voice) as well as Scott (electric and electronic guitars, noise makers, editing and mixing) and myself (computer driven performance and timing controls, location recordings, live sound manipulations, bowed electric bass, radios, noise makers, editing and mixing etc.).

For more info on The Bifurcators: The Bifurcators

------------------------------------------------------------------

bifurcated

Main Entry:
bi·fur·cate Listen to the pronunciation of bifurcate
Pronunciation:
\ˈbī-(ˌ)fər-ˌkāt, bī-ˈfər-\
Function:
verb
Inflected Form(s):
bi·fur·cat·ed; bi·fur·cat·ing
Etymology:
Medieval Latin bifurcatus, past participle of bifurcare, from Latin bifurcus two-pronged, from bi- + furca fork
Date: 1615

transitive verb : to cause to divide into two branches or parts intransitive verb : to divide into two branches or parts
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't think the DP walked onto a hot set, I think he was walking around outside it inspecting lights and it was distracting to Mr Bale.

But I think I found Mr. Bale's next career move :
YouTube - Winnebago Man
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by minister ➡️
I don't think the DP walked onto a hot set, I think he was walking around outside it inspecting lights and it was distracting to Mr Bale.
And you know this HOW? You THINK this, why? What data do you have to make that assumption? Wishful imagination to make CB a bigger boogey-man in your mind?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
And you know this HOW? You THINK this, why? What data do you have to make that assumption? Wishful imagination to make CB a bigger boogey-man in your mind?
Because if he walked into frame they would have cut.

I am saying there is a middle ground here where the DP's movement was being distracting to this actor.

I am not engaging in wishful thinking to make anyone a boogey-man, where the deuce do you get that from?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Just that you have a definite opinion about what happened without having been there - without having the data. So when a person does that I assume there's a reason for stepping out on a limb I don''t see exists. So I guess assuming "Cut!" would have been uttered.

Not being hostile. Just curious.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by minister ➡️

But I think I found Mr. Bale's next career move :
YouTube - Winnebago Man
Well since it was a sore point for Bale previously, it again points at the Directors' incompetence in the leadership God role.

Bale was indiscrete, no arguing there.... but it astounds me, with all the crap and distractions on a film set, that the DP would make any moves at all during a take.

McG- FAIL
DP- FAIL
Bale- unfortunate angry professional.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze ➡️
Well, I'm sure we've all wanted to at some point lol , but for several reasons we don't. #1 being a paycheck.

None of you guys have ever snapped? Road Rage? Airports?

I've seen countless people explode in similar situations. Because he's a famous actor people freak out. It's still a job, and sometimes jobs suck.
It's a job supposedly populated by pros however. Showing respect and controlling yourself is part of being a pro. I doubt you'd see this from Meryl Streep, Redford, Newman, and or Eastwood. Just from flash in the pans like this.

TH
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks ➡️
It's a job supposedly populated by pros however. Showing respect and controlling yourself is part of being a pro. I doubt you'd see this from Meryl Streep, Redford, Newman, and or Eastwood. Just from flash in the pans like this.

TH
I think you'd be surprised. Part of being a big star is you don't HAVE to blow up. You're taken care of.

But also, and I think this point might have gone under the radar here -- Respect is earned. It sounds as though the DP lost what little respect he may have had. It doesn't sound as though he's earned enough to stay out of trouble.

The word "pros" indicates that you're working with professionals of your own caliber. When you're not, it's a pisser. You shouldn't have to feel that you're pulling people along with you, simultaneous with you're having to do your work.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
500k / 12 hours / 60min = $694 per minute.... the question remains.... why couldn't the DP waited for a simple "cut"?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I think you'd be surprised. Part of being a big star is you don't HAVE to blow up. You're taken care of.

But also, and I think this point might have gone under the radar here -- Respect is earned. It sounds as though the DP lost what little respect he may have had. It doesn't sound as though he's earned enough to stay out of trouble.

The word "pros" indicates that you're working with professionals of your own caliber. When you're not, it's a pisser. You shouldn't have to feel that you're pulling people along with you, simultaneous with you're having to do your work.
Yes, I'd be very surprised to hear that any of the actors I mentioned ever let loose with something like that....mainly because they are known for not acting like prima donnas. Maybe if it happened over and over...but once? The DP is the most important crewmember on the set next to the director, and respect should come with that, and one mistake by the guy should have been dealt with in a professional manner, not with an Alec Baldwin temper tantrum. The guy sounds like a big baby, c'mon already.

TH
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes, I'd be very surprised to hear that any of the actors I mentioned ever let loose with something like that....mainly because they are known for not acting like prima donnas. Maybe if it happened over and over...but once? The DP is the most important crewmember on the set next to the director, and respect should come with that, and one mistake by the guy should have been dealt with in a professional manner, not with an Alec Baldwin temper tantrum. The guy sounds like a big baby, c'mon already.

TH
if you listen to the tirade, this event was not the first time the DP did something to interrupt a take.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Clint Eastwood is very understated. But he's also very quick to anger. But he doesn't HAVE to go there, because he's too big. All it would take is a look. But that could be almost as devastating as a tirade.

But that's besides the point. People are different. They have different responses. Wrong? Of course. But that's in degrees. A perfectionist may demand everyone works as hard and diligently as he does. One mistake is understandable, in most circumstances, but not two, as Charles has pointed out the finances involved.

I think a lot of people are identifying with the slacker. Although I'm not a jerk, I more identify with the perfectionist. Do it right. Be excellent and don't give anyone a reason to complain. Provide what is needed and, for gods sake, don't get in the way.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➡️
heh

The Bifurcators

The Bifurcators (a band) is a project/partnership between Scott Fraser and myself. We generally use a mix of traditional and electronic instruments, digital signal processors and computer timing and performance controls to find new links between pre conceived ideas and serendipitous intuition in our live performance works. Our CDs GANG OF TWO and LIKE A BIRD IN THE WILDERNESS (on Artifact Records) are available from CDe/EMF. The Artifact website has detailed info about these albums, as well as info on the many other composers whose work is on this label. BIRD is a 38 minute work for piano and multiactive electronics that features (and was written for) "Blue" Gene Tyranny; GANG is a collection of 4 ensemble works for instruments, computers and\ other electronics that feature Tim Perkis (live computer synthesis and sound manipulation), Doug Carroll (cello and electronic cello), and Bonnie Barnett (voice) as well as Scott (electric and electronic guitars, noise makers, editing and mixing) and myself (computer driven performance and timing controls, location recordings, live sound manipulations, bowed electric bass, radios, noise makers, editing and mixing etc.).

For more info on The Bifurcators: The Bifurcators

------------------------------------------------------------------

bifurcated

Main Entry:
bi·fur·cate Listen to the pronunciation of bifurcate
Pronunciation:
\ˈbī-(ˌ)fər-ˌkāt, bī-ˈfər-\
Function:
verb
Inflected Form(s):
bi·fur·cat·ed; bi·fur·cat·ing
Etymology:
Medieval Latin bifurcatus, past participle of bifurcare, from Latin bifurcus two-pronged, from bi- + furca fork
Date: 1615

transitive verb : to cause to divide into two branches or parts intransitive verb : to divide into two branches or parts
Thanks--I guess, for the free advertising. What does the name of my band and the description from a CD we published in 1995 have to do with all this? I am aware of the definition of our band name, if you were wondering. And I have spent 34 years on movie sets, including some with the DP in question, and so his behavior wasn't a total surprise to me. He should stay out of the actor's sightline while they are doing difficult scenes.

Philip Perkins
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper ➡️
Thanks--I guess, for the free advertising. What does the name of my band and the description from a CD we published in 1995 have to do with all this? I am aware of the definition of our band name, if you were wondering. And I have spent 34 years on movie sets, including some with the DP in question, and so his behavior wasn't a total surprise to me. He should stay out of the actor's sightline while they are doing difficult scenes.

Philip Perkins
I like making connections between seemingly disparate things sometimes. When you posted I checked out your link and noticed the band name. I then remembered Henry using the word earlier in the thread. I thought it would be cool to post, first his post with the word in it and then copy and paste the link on your website of your band. Finally, I thought it would be cool to post the definition for anyone that might not be familiar with the word. My post in no way was meant to do anything other than that. I disagree with you and Charles on this topic but I also find your perspectives very interesting and informative. Thanks for sharing your point of view on this incident.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
an oldie but a goodie.....

YouTube - I Don't Heart Huckabees
Honestly, it's Hollywood. If you're a DP with 20 years in the biz, and getting a huge paycheck on a 200 million dollar production, you should be able to stay out of the shot. I can understand why he was mad.

Imagine you are a musician in the middle of an awesome take when suddenly--OOPSIE!--the assistant engineer walks into the sound booth. Take and concentration ruined. So, you let them have a free pass....

...and five minutes later they do the same thing!

C'mon, seriously--ANYONE in their right mind would go ballistic. Maybe it's not the 'right' thing to do, maybe some of us would fly off the handle a bit more, but it's a pretty understandable thing to do.
Quote:
I doubt you'd see this from Meryl Streep, Redford, Newman, and or Eastwood. Just from flash in the pans like this.
Depends on the person's temperament, the situation, the context, if they're having a bad day.

One of my best friends is an assistant director in Hwood. I hear about stuff all the time that goes on behind the scenes, who's pretty cool, who's a real pain the butt, and so forth. There are a lot of people relatively vilified in the press that are extremely professional and nice for being big stars, and a whole bunch of people with great press agents that are absolute human filth.

I don't know if I'd characterize Bale as a 'flash in the pan' at all. He has a very long and productive career ahead of him, and he's absolutely committed to the art of acting. I think he's one of the more interesting people to come along in a decade or so.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Praise in public, criticize in private
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No one has responded to my earlier question- Has anyone commenting here worked on set of a big budget film?

And second, how much would anyone be willing to guess does it cost per day of filming to make one?

I still contend these two things....

1. the DP was totally out of line for doing anything after the slate dropped. beyond sitting outside frame and allowing the director to control the action

2. Bale acted improperly.

#2 pales in importance against #1.

i totally agree the DP was way out of line...he also should not have talked smart to CB and just should have said ok this wont happen agian and pick up instead he kept trying to say it wasnt his fault when clearly it was....CB also didnt have to get this upset but im sure after this everyone wont **** up anymore, i havent been on set of this nature but im willing to guess its about tens of thousands if not in the early hundred thousand range,
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
First, I'd like to say I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts. It's interesting how the opinions on this thread seem to be split almost 50/50.

I read a poll the other day which simply asked whether or not Bale was out of line, and at the time, the results were 56%/44%, with the slight lead going to the "Bale was out of line" camp.

Ultimately, I think the argument prevails that Bale was out of line, because in both camps, there's general agreement that he had a reason to be angry. The debate really is over the extremity of his actions.

IMO, one need look no further than when Bale threatened physical violence. Do you guys in the pro Bale camp honestly think this is professional? Do you think there is contractual leniency for threats of assault on movie sets?

Let's not confuse the cause vs the effect. The DP's mistake was no excuse for Bale to threaten him to that degree. This wasn't WWF or the Jerry Springer show. To give anyone license to be able to act the way Bale did is misguided IMO, and ultimately counterproductive to any work environment.

-SD
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
if you listen to the tirade, this event was not the first time the DP did something to interrupt a take.
I can't be bothered digging the newspaper transcript out of the bin but I think we only have CB's word for this, and I am not sure I would rely on that.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdefault ➡️
First, I'd like to say I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts. It's interesting how the opinions on this thread seem to be split almost 50/50.

I read a poll the other day which simply asked whether or not Bale was out of line, and at the time, the results were 56%/44%, with the slight lead going to the "Bale was out of line" camp.

Ultimately, I think the argument prevails that Bale was out of line, because in both camps, there's general agreement that he had a reason to be angry. The debate really is over the extremity of his actions.

IMO, one need look no further than when Bale threatened physical violence. Do you guys in the pro Bale camp honestly think this is professional? Do you think there is contractual leniency for threats of assault on movie sets?

Let's not confuse the cause vs the effect. The DP's mistake was no excuse for Bale to threaten him to that degree. This Wasn't WWF or the Jerry Springer show. To give anyone license to be able to act the way Bale did is misguided IMO, and ultimately counter productive to any work environment.

-SD
assault is a crime in every part of America- there might even be stricter statutes on a federal property. He of course did not act violently, but I would say if he did, the full weight of the law should be brought to bear...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark ➡️
I can't be bothered digging the newspaper transcript out of the bin but I think we only have CB's word for this, and I am not sure I would rely on that.
well listen to the recording- he clearly makes note of it....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
assault is a crime in every part of America- there might even be stricter statutes on a federal property. He of course did not act violently, but I would say if he did, the full weight of the law should be brought to bear...
Verbally threatening physical harm is technically considered assault. Christian Bale is clearly guilty of this. If he then went on to a physical attack it becomes battery.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assault

An assault invoves:

1. An intentional, unlawful threat or "offer" to cause bodily injury to another by force;
2. Under circumstances which create in the other person a well-founded fear of imminent peril;
3. Where there exists the apparent present ability to carry out the act if not prevented.

Note that an assault can be completed even if there is no actual contact with the plaintiff, and even if the defendant had no actual ability to carry out the apparent threat. For example, a defendant who points a realistic toy gun at the plaintiff may be liable for assault, even though the defendant was fifty feet away from the plaintiff and had no actual ability to inflict harm from that distance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battery

A battery is the willful or intentional touching of a person against that person’s will by another person, or by an object or substance put in motion by that other person. Please note that an offensive touching can constitute a battery even if it does not cause injury, and could not reasonably be expected to cause injury. A defendant who emphatically pokes the plaintiff in the chest with his index finger to emphasize a point may be culpable for battery (although the damages award that results may well be nominal). A defendant who spits on a plaintiff, even though there is little chance that the spitting will cause any injury other than to the plaintiff's dignity, has committed a battery.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaellus ➡️
i totally agree the DP was way out of line...he also should not have talked smart to CB and just should have said ok this wont happen agian and pick up instead he kept trying to say it wasnt his fault when clearly it was....CB also didnt have to get this upset but im sure after this everyone wont **** up anymore, i havent been on set of this nature but im willing to guess its about tens of thousands if not in the early hundred thousand range,
As long as we're theorizing, the DP probably isn't immune to pressure anymore than the lead actor is. For all we know, there may have been instances just before this recording took place where the DP was slammed by the director/producers for delaying production when taking time to adjust some lights or whatever.

From the clip, all we know is that CB says it's the second time (today? ever?) it happened. The DP does apologize to begin with (and without any sort of attitude, at least that I can detect) and when pressed for an explanation he says he was looking at the lights. I think he was just taken by surprise by the violent reaction and tried to defend himself when it just didn't seem to end. I didn't hear him place the blame on anyone else or saying it wasn't his fault, as is claimed above. To me, it sounds like he's very aware that he messed up big time. That doesn't mean he didn't need to be called on it, of course.

While I understand CB's reaction, two things strike me as utterly unprofessional:
1) when you're blowing up like that, it should be over as quickly as it starts. You yell, say a few curse words, and you're done. CB is indulging himself, and he's allowed it. He starts over again and again and supplies 100% of the fuel for the fire. Come on, four minutes?
2) threatening to kick the DP's ass. Either you resort to physical violence instantly and without thinking, as part of blowing up, or you simply don't go there.

The one that really messed up here is the director, in my opinion. Being God, as Charles puts it, he should ideally have prevented the situation, but in any case never have let it go as far as it did. Within ten seconds, this could have been over and then dealt with on a professional level.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
thanks for the clarification on that-

here is the California Penal Code, which does differ in definition....

California Penal Code 240 - 248 :

240. An assault is an unlawful attempt, coupled with a present
ability, to commit a violent injury on the person of another.

242. A battery is any willful and unlawful use of force or violence
upon the person of another.
📝 Reply