Batman goes Bale-istic with profane tirade on crew - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Batman goes Bale-istic with profane tirade on crew
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➑️
Daniel Day-Lewis is well known for doing this. It tends to drive people crazy, including himself, but I guess people put up with it because he performances are so remarkable.

You know, in the arts, there's not one way to be or to approach ones work. For one person an approach may be a bunch of crap, but for someone else it may be standard operating procedure. It's best not to generalize.
Daniel Day-Lewis also put himself in the psyche ward. Does that make any sense?

There are many many remarkable performers that simply go on with their lives after a shoot and don't need to go to that extreme. Stage actors who do 5 or 6 shows a week have to reach the same emotional peaks and valleys as film actors yet, they go out to dinner or have a drink after a performance.

I could care less what an "artist's standard operating procedure" is. According to your logic, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, John Belushi, Elvis, etc. were "artists" so it's best not to generalize their "approach"???

Most are just big coddled babies, IMHO....Do they save lives? Do they try to teach kids in inner city schools in the middle of an urban jungle? Do they work three jobs to try to put food on the table for their kids?

I'm not coming down on you, man....this is just one topic that somehow pushes my buttons.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain54 ➑️

I'm not coming down on you, man....this is just one topic that somehow pushes my buttons.
You can't come down on me. People get into the muse any number of ways. Now if we're talking about drugs and the like, I'm with you. I'm not a fan of method acting, but I'm not in the actors shoes either. I won't generalize about how someone choses to work.

That Day-Lewis may or may not have been in a psych ward probably has little to do with his talent or the way he choses to get into character.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Further I'm not going to tell you how to play guitar or engineer, or whatever you do, unless you ask me specifically. How you do what you do is how you choose to do it. And you'd probably resent like hell me telling you to do it another way or that you're wrong in your approach, particularly if it's been successful for you.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Further I'm not going to tell you how to play guitar or engineer, or whatever you do, unless you ask me specifically. How you do what you do is how you choose to do it. And you'd probably resent like hell me telling you to do it another way or that you're wrong in your approach, particularly if it's been successful for you.
Wait a minute this isn't about how actors get their inspiration for their art. This is about how they treat other people on the crew! They can do whatever they want to get into their character but they shouldn't blow up at people like CB did.

Or maybe someone playing the role of a serial killer is excused for killing a few people after shooting a particular gruesome scene? Come on!

Alistair
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
No. The conversation briefly bifurcated into actors who remain in character throughout the shoot. An offshoot of method acting.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonsqueezer ➑️
The ending? His motorbike with the silly wheels? From that scene the film fell apart for me.
Oh, you mean the climax of the movie, where many of the plot points converge and the antagonist develops his character arc and confronts the protagonist?
That's where it "fell apart" for you?

The "motorbike with the silly wheels" was actually a fully-functioning practical prop, so that doesn't even require the suspension of disbelief.

Wow
"It's a funny world we live in......"
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Further I'm not going to tell you how to play guitar or engineer, or whatever you do, unless you ask me specifically.
Have at it dude..

Paula Abdul judges and critiques singers on national TV for big bucks, when in reality she had the worst, most annoying singing voice in the history of pop music.

I agree, there is no definitive right or wrong when it comes to any artistic endeavor.
As a result, any approach is subject to endless critique and discussion, and usually is.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrick ➑️
Oh, you mean the climax of the movie, where many of the plot points converge and the antagonist develops his character arc and confronts the protagonist?

The "motorbike with the silly wheels" was actually a fully-functioning practical prop, so that doesn't even require the suspension of disbelief.

Wow
So sorry that I have a different perception on the world to you...or even just a movie.....What is it that you can't handle about that?

Is suspension of disbelief universally fixed for the entire populous of this planet? Or is not possible that it varies from person to person?

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would say his rant is over the top.

Having said that, when people I'm working with have indeed made a mistake - but they reply with "I'm sorry but..." (in this case "Sorry - but I was checking the light")

arghhh, for me the "but..." can make me sooooo mad, as it implies that person still has it in their mind that they were not wrong and are only SAYING sorry to get out of the situation.

If a person is truly sorry, they should just say sorry, and leave it at that.

Still CB was seemingly beyond control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
Isn't yelling at the DP kind of like screaming at your plastic surgeon just before you go under the knife? Why would you want to alienate the people who are responsible for making you look good?
This is also very true.

Soundawg
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonsqueezer ➑️
So sorry that I have a different perception on the world to you...or even just a movie.....What is it that you can't handle about that?

Is suspension of disbelief universally fixed for the entire populous of this planet? Or is not possible that it varies from person to person?

I can handle anything, this is just the internet.

I was pointing out the fact that this movie didn't require much suspension of disbelief. Most of the effects were in-camera, with practicals. There were no "superpowers", or otherworldly concepts to come to terms with. And it was an extremely well written script/plot.

Maybe stick to biopics or documentaries, those don't require ANY suspension of disbelief.

My original comment was to the guy that said the movie was a "hunk of sh!t". That is stupid when you consider it's in the same genre as Fantastic Four, and the first Hulk movie, which were truly awful.

Everyone I know that is involved in film or writing pretty much universally agree that the Dark Knight is VERY well done.

But again, I guess there's no accounting for taste.

Sorry to everyone for going so OT.........that's it from me.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Reading into this is interesting..... The DP is WAY up the ladder as far as the above the line people go.... he probably was making 20k a week. He does indeed know better to stay out of the way- this is especially so on big budget complicated shows. He did this interferring at least one other time, that Bale obviously noted. He is wasting very, very, very expensive time on set doing what he did- He did not get approval from the director to go into hot area and showed a lot of indifference in his reactions to Bale.

Bale did act like an prima-donna.... however- he was the one who was on camera at the time. and he is the one who's performance is paying the DP's salary.

not knowing more than this, I can cut Bale an awful lot of slack here.

Oh yes- the studio released the recording- otherwise there would be a lawsuit already in process as to breach of confidentiality agreements. A Production/Post Sound team would have to find another line of work if they breached that agreement, because they would be PNG'd by almost every studio I know of.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
after hearing the clip, compressed and squashed with fast release to hear the DP and Director's comments during the tirade, i really feel bad for the DP - he was quite apologetic and not being confrontational at all.

and a side note, i read somewhere that this clip was sent to the insurer of the movie, in case Bale walked off the project, and that was the source of the leak..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundawg ➑️
I would say his rant is over the top.

Having said that, when people I'm working with have indeed made a mistake - but they reply with "I'm sorry but..." (in this case "Sorry - but I was checking the light")

arghhh, for me the "but..." can make me sooooo mad, as it implies that person still has it in their mind that they were not wrong and are only SAYING sorry to get out of the situation.

If a person is truly sorry, they should just say sorry, and leave it at that.

Still CB was seemingly beyond control.

This is also very true.

Soundawg

This isn't what i heard. I heard the DP say he was sorry, then let CB rant for another minute and when CB pressed him for a reason.. he simply said "I was.. looking at the light" not a single "but" (and i understand your point)

Not patronizing, not self-important. Just answering the question of a violent mad man.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay ➑️
This isn't what i heard. I heard the DP say he was sorry, then let CB rant for another minute and when CB pressed him for a reason.. he simply said "I was.. looking at the light" not a single "but" (and i understand your point)

Not patronizing, not self-important. Just answering the question of a violent mad man.
If anybody wants to hear what the others are saying listen to the included MP3. Not processed to sound good. Just bringing up the levels of the rest of the recording.

Alistair
Attached Files

ChristianBaleAudio-flat.mp3 (5.22 MB, 122 views)

Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Have anyone here ever actually been on a real Hollywood set?

the DP was totally out of line.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
2:40 in what was the DP thinking of when he was disagreeing with CB? His rant was pretty much over, CB had indicated he wanted to get on.

I think this could be staged.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdefault ➑️
I respectfully disagree. Actors are just people, and people are all different. Your view is oversimplified and borders on cynicism. No one is arguing that there are other successful actors with bad attitudes, but that doesn't mean they all would respond the same way.

To lump everyone together like that is ridiculous. Mother Teresa?

Bale was immature and unprofessional. Call it what it is.
-SD
My view is encapsulated, but not oversimplified, reality-based but not cynical. I've spent my entire working life with actors. My wife is an actress here in New York, and she thinks I understand the working mechanism really well.

Film actors have to live in a fantasy world five or more hours a day. They put themselves into emotional states that are just pretend, risking looking ridiculous in the process. They can't even control the final result, as their work will be altered by director and editor before it's seen by millions around the world.

There are basically two kinds of actor: those who are full of themselves and just want love and admiration, and blank slates who like taking on roles in order to have personalities more interesting than their own. Either way, they respond badly when their emotional high-wire act is spoiled by something really stupid like a DP who doesn't know where and when not to walk.

What's most important to me about Bale's rant is that he keeps trying to get the next take rolling. He's not trying to stop the world with a self-indulgent tantrum, he always remembers where he is and why he's there. That shows a certain degree of professionalism within the cluster of f-bombs.

If he's described by some of the crew as being an A-hole, perhaps he was just desperate at being trapped in a lousy script. The screenplay you sign up for is not always the one you shoot.

Check out this link before it gets taken down.

Celebrity tantrums - Christian Bale - Los Angeles Times

Nope, sorry virgins, still no Santa Claus.

Cheers,
3rd&4thT
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
original subject aside, the movie is getting tremendous viral publicity from this incident.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What's kind of funny about this for me personally is that this incident occurred at Kirtland AFB, NM where I was stationed at for four years. That's my "gee wiz" and "it's all about me" contribution for the day. heh
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&4thT ➑️
What's most important to me about Bale's rant is that he keeps trying to get the next take rolling. He's not trying to stop the world with a self-indulgent tantrum, he always remembers where he is and why he's there.
Well, CB says "let's go again", turns down the director's offer "Let's just take a minute", but then starts mouthing off once more about trashing the lights etc at some length, so I don't think he actually means it. Actors, eh. From the sound of it, given that the director says he didn't see anything, the DP can't just have been wandering slack-jawed through the middle of the set. "Self-indulgent tantrum" it sounds like to me.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The boom mic operator got great audio of this, and did not move from his/her mark.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
When I am not engineering sound, I am an actor. Acting is my main source of income. I have worked with some of the best stage actors in America and I can tell you: Method acting is a load of [email protected]$! The best actors in the world can turn it on and off like a faucet. They do not get "distracted" as Bale points outs. No matter what, the performance will be there when the director says "action."

There is NO excuse for that kind of behavior.

However, I did just hear a clip of Buddy Rich doing the same thing to his musicians...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
No one has responded to my earlier question- Has anyone commenting here worked on set of a big budget film?

And second, how much would anyone be willing to guess does it cost per day of filming to make one?

I still contend these two things....

1. the DP was totally out of line for doing anything after the slate dropped. beyond sitting outside frame and allowing the director to control the action

2. Bale acted improperly.

#2 pales in importance against #1.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Charles, I certainly have not set foot on a set, and as such read your post's with great interest.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I would say that given the DP's importance on the set- basically being the number 2 behind the director, that he broke the first cardinal rule of set etiquette by moving at all during a take. The Director is king, who is only really subject to the Executive producers- but that is in private on set- the Director quite literally is God.

The director (McG), rather pathetically did not assert his leadership role by not telling Bale to STFU, but he should have loudly criticized the DP for ruining the take, thus re-establishing his authority.

I do not see this as a Bale problem, because he asserted the directors role, in his absence of leadership, and I frankly think he did everyone a favor by his actions, hopefully elevating the entire crews awareness to WHY they were all working the jobs they were.

As evidenced by the discourse, this was not an isolated incident, and if it was an innocent bit of being an absolute idiot by the DP (which I find to be unlikely, since he was hired onto a 100+ million dollar budget film) it was a good object lesson for him.

Film sets are filled with insanely inflated egos, and the only person who could get away with that sort of thing would be the upper tiers of the producers themselves.

I do not think Bale got his wish as far as the DP getting fired, but it was not an unprecedented request, simple due to Bale's awareness of the stakes at hand.

He- Bale, did not need to tirade as he did, but he was by far more in the right than either the Director or DP. at least in my opinion. And his comments to the other subordinate crew members were respectful.

Bale has proven himself again and again willing to submit himself to significant hardship in pursuit of his craft (read about Rescue Dawn sometime).... so I personally have to say my respect for his drive and professional standards is undiminished... perhaps the industry would be well served by more actors with both his talent, and awareness of purpose.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdefault ➑️
Christian Bale obviously lacks understanding that there's more to being professional than the basic traits of awareness, proficiency, experience, etc.- As a matter of fact, I think he's falling into the most common pitfall of arrogance, which is allowing your own judgement to obscure the more important aspects of humanity such as leadership, wisdom, and kindness.
His immaturity in this miserable scene displays his lack of leadership qualities. Men who are real leaders get results by encouraging and inspiring people. Not that discipline isn't necessary, but over-expressed rage doesn't fool anyone. I have a feeling everyone on that set knew his temper was totally unjustified.

-SD
Well put.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrick ➑️

Wow
It was an entertaining film i'll give you that but hardly a classic.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes ➑️
I would say that given the DP's importance on the set- basically being the number 2 behind the director, that he broke the first cardinal rule of set etiquette by moving at all during a take. The Director is king, who is only really subject to the Executive producers- but that is in private on set- the Director quite literally is God.

The director (McG), rather pathetically did not assert his leadership role by not telling Bale to STFU, but he should have loudly criticized the DP for ruining the take, thus re-establishing his authority.

I do not see this as a Bale problem, because he asserted the directors role, in his absence of leadership, and I frankly think he did everyone a favor by his actions, hopefully elevating the entire crews awareness to WHY they were all working the jobs they were.

As evidenced by the discourse, this was not an isolated incident, and if it was an innocent bit of being an absolute idiot by the DP (which I find to be unlikely, since he was hired onto a 100+ million dollar budget film) it was a good object lesson for him.

Film sets are filled with insanely inflated egos, and the only person who could get away with that sort of thing would be the upper tiers of the producers themselves.

I do not think Bale got his wish as far as the DP getting fired, but it was not an unprecedented request, simple due to Bale's awareness of the stakes at hand.

He- Bale, did not need to tirade as he did, but he was by far more in the right than either the Director or DP. at least in my opinion. And his comments to the other subordinate crew members were respectful.

Bale has proven himself again and again willing to submit himself to significant hardship in pursuit of his craft (read about Rescue Dawn sometime).... so I personally have to say my respect for his drive and professional standards is undiminished... perhaps the industry would be well served by more actors with both his talent, and awareness of purpose.

Interesting point the Director was certainly spineless, he should have established authority and reprimanded(couldn't think of a better word!) both Bale and the DP as you said, but I have to disagree with you. I think Bale was definitely more in the wrong, whatever about the stakes at hand(basically money) this goes beyond professionalism and money, this is about treating another human with respect, at one point he obviously makes a threatening movement to the DP or is it to his lights? either way this is just totally out of line. At the end of the day it is only a film(perspective please!) and Bale with the millions he is paid probably does not suffer for his art as he would have us believe in this clip!
I have to qualify that last statement by saying I dont know the fellow so obviously like all the previous posts there is a certain amount of conjecture in what I have said based on the clip.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean L ➑️
Interesting point the Director was certainly spineless, he should have established authority and reprimanded(couldn't think of a better word!) both Bale and the DP as you said, but I have to disagree with you. I think Bale was definitely more in the wrong, whatever about the stakes at hand(basically money) this goes beyond professionalism and money, this is about treating another human with respect, at one point he obviously makes a threatening movement to the DP or is it to his lights? either way this is just totally out of line. At the end of the day it is only a film(perspective please!) and Bale with the millions he is paid probably does not suffer for his art as he would have us believe in this clip!
I have to qualify that last statement by saying I dont know the fellow so obviously like all the previous posts there is a certain amount of conjecture in what I have said based on the clip.
Your sentiments are respectful, but do not hold water in the enviornment. If there was a dollar saved for every senseless tirade in Hollywood, we would have a federal budget surplus.

A film like that is costing in excess of 500k per day of filming. the DP knows that- and let his false sense of entitlement create a situation that should never have occurred.

Bale is a pro, I really find it difficult believe he would act like that to someone that high up the ladder without a lot of really good (albiet undisclosed) reasons- and as he said himself, this wasn't the first time the DP fvcked up a scene without following very time honored protocols.

I still have to say that he really was correct in his actions in the longer view.

I mean we arent talking about vanity here, they were actually rolling film.

A musical equivalent would be someone going on stage during a performance to adjust a microphone for a lead vocalist in the middle of a performance. It is an unacceptable action unless the mic is actually dead.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would like you to look at another aspect of this recording - the actual quality of the "dialog", which is the quality of lav mic and its placement...

Correct me, if I'm wrong - this is a really good production sound (I am not talking about processing). The actor moves really rapidly, but there is almost no cloth rustle in this recording. All words are pretty understandable and clear. The production sound team did a nice job IMHO...

regards,
Kuba
πŸ“ Reply