Quantcast
Batman goes Bale-istic with profane tirade on crew - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Batman goes Bale-istic with profane tirade on crew
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To understand is not necessarily to forgive, but let's see...

Bale was emotionally wrecked after the recent suicide of Heath Ledger........

this was a few days before the reported assault charges by his wife and mother, variously ascribed either to mom verbally trashing wife, or mom holding him up for money, so that situation may have been building for a while.....

he started as a child actor (remember Empire of the Sun?), and child actors never quite grow up anyway. His mom was a circus clown; how weird is that?

Displays of temperament like this are totally unrelated to performing talent. There are talented saints and talented monsters, and untalented varieties of both.

Nobody goes into show business who isn't somewhat damaged to begin with. If you're emotionally well and in one piece, you don't take the risks actors do in the first place.

So let's not get TOO prim here.

Cheers,
3rd&4thT
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrick ➡️

hmmmm.........

Well written, Well acted, flawless cinematography,
Only because this DP didn't work on it!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hociman ➡️
Only because this DP didn't work on it!
Not so fast. Re Terminator...there were numerous stories coming out of Santa Fe of trouble on the set and *not* related to the DP...just FWIW. The term "nightmare" was used frequently. That's all I'm sayin'.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Christian Bale obviously lacks understanding that there's more to being professional than the basic traits of awareness, proficiency, experience, etc.- As a matter of fact, I think he's falling into the most common pitfall of arrogance, which is allowing your own judgement to obscure the more important aspects of humanity such as leadership, wisdom, and kindness.
His immaturity in this miserable scene displays his lack of leadership qualities. Men who are real leaders get results by encouraging and inspiring people. Not that discipline isn't necessary, but over-expressed rage doesn't fool anyone. I have a feeling everyone on that set knew his temper was totally unjustified.

-SD
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I haven't heard the clip. And I'm sure CB was out of line. But he also has the right to expect professionalism. One mistake is forgivable. Two is not. But CB shouldn't have HAD to yell. That was the directors responsibility. No one should have to put up with ineptitude. Sorry.

But there's always a way to handle things. This clearly was not the best way.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Steroids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Apparently the DP didn't understand that "The guys get shirts and thats just the f*%^$#@ way it is."
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➡️
I haven't heard the clip. And I'm sure CB was out of line. But he also has the right to expect professionalism. One mistake is forgivable. Two is not. But CB shouldn't have HAD to yell. That was the directors responsibility. No one should have to put up with ineptitude. Sorry.

I agree with you Henry that the second time for the same mistake is inexcusable. However, you should listen to the clip; his response was w-a-y over the top. He could have sought various ways to either have the guy removed, or dealt with in a disciplinary manner. The way he acted was childish.

CB needs serious PR help quick to make him realize how he's coming accross. Nobody wants to work with someone like that.

-SD
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➡️

Actually, if you listen to the clip, the director *doesn't* take Bale's side when Bale pointedly asks him to. He declines saying he didn't see it. That is, he left Bale out there alone on the issue. The fact that they sent the stuff to the insurance company indicates that the director and others were worried about Bale's ability to finish production. This is not a good situation to be in, in the middle of production. One thing you don't hear on the audio file is people ganging up on the DP...

What you do hear, repeatedly, is several different people pleading with Bale to calm down.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
Isn't yelling at the DP kind of like screaming at your plastic surgeon just before you go under the knife? Why would you want to alienate the people who are responsible for making you look good?
Good call, I never thought of it from that angle. For me it's just trying to follow the golden rule and treat others as I would want to be treated.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdefault ➡️
Nobody wants to work with someone like that.
-SD
Unless of course he can generate enough in ticket sales to justify his presence. If you look at the stars who can actually win a weekend, they're almost all nuts.

Where you guys been?

Don't you understand that when an actor plays a real-life normal person who might live next door, that's the biggest acting challenge of all? That's not who they are.

P.S. There's no Santa Claus, either.

Cheers,
3rd&4thT
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubivore ➡️
i haven't heard the clip, and am kinda scared to listen, but...

as mentioned previously, how do you handle something like this? especially if it's directed at you. even if you have hand-to-hand CQC training or whatever, how do you diffuse a client that seems near berzerk-mode and on the verge of violence?
Professionals in other fields are able to deal with this.

It doesn't justify CB's rant but I am surprised the director was so lame.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
... One thing you don't hear on the audio file is people ganging up on the DP...

What you do hear, repeatedly, is several different people pleading with Bale to calm down.
Exactly- What you hear are voices of people who sound like real professionals. If CB had expressed his anger in a more tempered manner, it would have been fine and most likely an effective resolution. But his anger spills over on everyone. Even just listening to the clip... you feel like you're the one being verbally assaulted.

-SD
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&4thT ➡️
Unless of course he can generate enough in ticket sales to justify his presence. If you look at the stars who can actually win a weekend, they're almost all nuts.

Where you guys been?

Don't you understand that when an actor plays a real-life normal person who might live next door, that's the biggest acting challenge of all? That's not who they are.

P.S. There's no Santa Claus, either.

Cheers,
3rd&4thT

There are plenty of up-and-coming talented actors who can draw a crowd. When you look at the heritage of Hollywood's leading men, you indeed see a diverse bunch. But arrogance and misplaced rage will always been frowned upon IMO. Do you think someone like Tom Hanks or Clint Eastwood would have acted like that? Of course not.

-SD
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrick ➡️

hmmmm.........

Well written, Well acted, flawless cinematography, hole-less script, complex plot with several substantial sub-plots, great special effects (mostly in-camera)............

yeah, what's to like about that.......no accounting for taste, I suppose.
The ending? His motorbike with the silly wheels? From that scene the film fell apart for me.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
There are plenty of up-and-coming talented actors who can draw a crowd. When you look at the heritage of Hollywood's leading men, you indeed see a diverse bunch. But arrogance and misplaced rage will always been frowned upon IMO. Do you think someone like Tom Hanks or Clint Eastwood would have acted like that? Of course not.

-SD
I think if I heard a clip like that of Tom Hanks my head would explode. heh
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➡️
I think if I heard a clip like that of Tom Hanks my head would explode. heh
Really

Tom Hanks would be too busy making people laugh.

-SD
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Do you think someone like Tom Hanks or Clint Eastwood would have acted like that? -SD
Um, yes.

Certainly.

Why not?

Damn right.

Yup.

Uh-huh.

Even Tom Hanks.

Don't confuse the screen image with the actor. I'm sure Mother Theresa would rant, if she were SAG and carrying a hundred million dollar picture on her shoulders.

And what the hell does "up and coming young actors" have to do with it? They're obviously not under discussion here, but when they get a lead role in a major motion picture, they rant, too, if pushed.

Actors get work because they convey emotion. They must have immediate and total access to any emotion they are asked to display. They do not necessarily have enough control to turn off an emotion once it has been triggered. Some actors remain in character after a shoot ends, and only change personality when they get their next role.

Janet Leigh only took baths for the rest of her life after filming "Psycho." There was something about showers she could not quite get over, for the next forty years.

Val Kilmer, William Hurt and Ed Harris are all miserable to work with on the set, whether they rant or not. Yet none are out of the business. Somebody will put up with them, if they're the right actor for the part. Bad manners or a difficult personality are not dealbreakers, much as we may fervently hope otherwise.

P.S. There's STILL no Santa Claus.

Cheers,
3rd&4thT
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Um, yes.

Certainly.

Why not?

Damn right.

Yup.

Uh-huh.

Even Tom Hanks.

Don't confuse the screen image with the actor. I'm sure Mother Theresa would rant, if she were SAG and carrying a hundred million dollar picture on her shoulders.

And what the hell does "up and coming young actors" have to do with it? They're obviously not under discussion here, but when they get a lead role in a major motion picture, they rant, too, if pushed.

Actors get work because they convey emotion. They must have immediate and total access to any emotion they are asked to display. They do not necessarily have enough control to turn off an emotion once it has been triggered. Some actors remain in character after a shoot ends, and only change personality when they get their next role.

Janet Leigh only took baths for the rest of her life after filming "Psycho." There was something about showers she could not quite get over, for the next forty years.

Val Kilmer, William Hurt and Ed Harris are all miserable to work with on the set, whether they rant or not. Yet none are out of the business. Somebody will put up with them, if they're the right actor for the part. Bad manners or a difficult personality are not dealbreakers, much as we may fervently hope otherwise.

P.S. There's STILL no Santa Claus.

Cheers,
3rd&4thT
I respectfully disagree. Actors are just people, and people are all different. Your view is oversimplified and borders on cynicism. No one is arguing that there are other successful actors with bad attitudes, but that doesn't mean they all would respond the same way.

To lump everyone together like that is ridiculous. Mother Teresa?

Bale was immature and unprofessional. Call it what it is.

-SD
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not knowing what really happened it's tough to say. If, as some people contend, the DP got into the shot...twice... then he probably should look for another line of work. But if he just got into Bales line of sight distracting the artíste's delicate composure, then Bale needs to grow up and learn a little something about protocol. He should have finished the take, then gone to the director and a producer in private and had a talk with them about the problem. It's their job to take care of problems on the set..not his.

Regardless of whose fault it was, there is absolutely no justification for being a raving lunatic.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm with Rick on this one. You never hear in the clip that the DP walked into the shot. He "only" walked through CB's line of sight, behind the other actor. And that seems to have been enough distraction for CB to set him off.
I've been on a few sets were the DP will discreetly move around to check a lighting effect visually during the take. Maybe in this case he should have known better, as the leading actor seems to be very pressure-sensitive.

And what we dont know is what sort of scene this was. We can only guess that CB was pulling at some very taught inner string to get it through.

I'm not going to excuse anybody, specially not the people who leaked this onto the web. Working with talent is sometimes like swimming with sharks... but you accept it and move on if it's your passion.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I friend of mine worked on the the set of the dark knight, he said Bale was a complete ASSH*LE!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathand ➡️
If this type of behavior is apparently acceptable in production, I'm sure glad I'm in post!
This is the key. In post, you work with a limited number of people of higher social discipline, while on the set, you have all sorts of people and a LOT of them, and I absolutely believe that a strong hierarchy and occasional yelling like this is needed if the crew is loose and the shoot is on it's way to fall apart.

No doubt CB is an ass, but I bet everyone did their job flawlessly for the next couple of days.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Reminds me of Gordan Ramsay
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have been yelled at by some vary famous people for things that I had no control over but as a professional I just gritted my teeth and walked away from the volatile situation that would only have gotten worse if I had reacted to it.

I was doing playback for a film in Cleveland from a Nagra tape deck. The director was not happy with what was going on, his light was fast fading and there was one delay after another. We kept doing the scene over and over and over again. At one point I was rewinding the tape for the next take and let the leader run out so I had to re-thread the Nagra. So I was asking for a moment and the director started yelling at me telling me that I was a bozo, lame and incompetent, this after doing the playback flawlessly for 15 takes. I just looked at him said I was sorry and was ready to do the playback again. We did the scene 5 more times. Afterward the director walked over to me put out his hand and said "I'm sorry I yelled at you and thank for your excellent work all day" Things could have gone from bad to worse but since I am a professional I did what I needed to do in the most professional way possible. Sometimes people in the heat of the moment do and say things that are mean, hurtful and downright nasty but considering the pressure that is on the movie makers today it is no wonder they are at the breaking point. I think that actors are sometimes so caught up in their roles that the least little distraction can cause them to lose concentration and flub their lines or lose their character and we have no way of knowing how many times that scene was done or how many other things were going on. People handle stress differently. Some fly off the handle immediately for the least provocation, some start laughing and some just reach the boiling point and like a dormant volcano erupt.

Since none of us were there it is all conjecture and as such we are reacting to what we are seeing and hearing without knowing what else was going on at the time.

MTCW and FWIW
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️
I have been yelled at by some vary famous people for things that I had no control over but as a professional I just gritted my teeth and walked away from the volatile situation that would only have gotten worse if I had reacted to it.

I was doing playback for a film in Cleveland from a Nagra tape deck. The director was not happy with what was going on, his light was fast fading and there was one delay after another. We kept doing the scene over and over and over again. At one point I was rewinding the tape for the next take and let the leader run out so I had to re-thread the Nagra. So I was asking for a moment and the director started yelling at me telling me that I was a bozo, lame and incompetent, this after doing the playback flawlessly for 15 takes. I just looked at him said I was sorry and was ready to do the playback again. We did the scene 5 more times. Afterward the director walked over to me put out his hand and said "I'm sorry I yelled at you and thank for your excellent work all day" Things could have gone from bad to worse but since I am a professional I did what I needed to do in the most professional way possible. Sometimes people in the heat of the moment do and say things that are mean, hurtful and downright nasty but considering the pressure that is on the movie makers today it is no wonder they are at the breaking point. I think that actors are sometimes so caught up in their roles that the least little distraction can cause them to lose concentration and flub their lines or lose their character and we have no way of knowing how many times that scene was done or how many other things were going on. People handle stress differently. Some fly off the handle immediately for the least provocation, some start laughing and some just reach the boiling point and like a dormant volcano erupt.

Since none of us were there it is all conjecture and as such we are reacting to what we are seeing and hearing without knowing what else was going on at the time.

MTCW and FWIW
Well said

I think many of us are guilty of jumping in too quickly and judging. Like you say, were we there? Have we actually met the guy?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have mixed feelings on this. Of course none of us were there (AFAIK) so who knows what kind of tension had been building between the two. And I think everyone has a right to get pissed off once in a while, but that was definitely over the top. At some point you need to finish letting off the steam, get over it for the moment, and keep doing your job. It seems like a lot of big name "celebrities", not just actors, forget that they are in fact doing a job. Something they are hired and paid to do. That particular rant is indicative of either drugs, steroids, chemical imbalance, or a combination. There is no point in arguing with someone on a rampage like that so I'd like to think if it were aimed at me I would stand there with my tail between my legs and take it. Then maybe wait until we break for the night, intice him to hit me, and sue him for millions

But I'm glad to know it wasn't the audio dept leaking that. Totally unprofessional and shouldn't have been passed to the public.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think anyone who was there would have though it didn't last as long as us listening back to it on mp3. If the director had pulled the light person away it would have stopped sooner. When someone is like that the best thing is to keep quiet. CB's question were more rhetorical than anything.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That's really a bunch of crap.

I've been on sets with some pretty big names and most have total control. That's not to say there isn't some quirky behavior, but to walk around like you are still in character after the shoot is psychotic, amateurish, and totally laughable.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain54 ➡️
That's really a bunch of crap.

I've been on sets with some pretty big names and most have total control. That's not to say there isn't some quirky behavior, but to walk around like you are still in character after the shoot is psychotic, amateurish, and totally laughable.
Daniel Day-Lewis is well known for doing this. It tends to drive people crazy, including himself, but I guess people put up with it because his performances are so remarkable.

You know, in the arts, there's not one way to be or to approach ones work. For one person an approach may be a bunch of crap, but for someone else it may be standard operating procedure. It's best not to generalize.
📝 Reply