Quantcast
Basic set up for ADR work? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Basic set up for ADR work?
Old 31st January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Basic set up for ADR work?

Already have a nice Pro Tools set up in an audio studio.
Ability to run external video monitor for talent in place.
ISDN not needed.

What format are companies generally using when out sourcing ADR work...beta, digi beta, Quicktime files?
Is there specific software needed or recommended for this within the Pro Tools environment?
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For most of the projects I work on Quicktime out of Pro Tools is the standard.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
John is right, Quicktime is the way to go, and is the most common method of working around town.

I'd also recommend these programs for cueing/beeps and streamers:

Sounds In Sync - EDICUE

and

Streamers
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sounds In Sync - EDICUE

and

Streamers
Good one, I've got to check those out. Chris, you're always on the cutting edge. Nice!
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
We still get quite a few DVCAM tapes here in New York, mostly for TV shows, but we do use a lot of quicktimes!

Cheers!
-Mike
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I can recommend Voice Q ADR from KIWA!

VoiceQ :: An ADR and Dubbing Evolution - Frontpage
Deleted 2d58179
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjguitar ➑️
John is right, Quicktime is the way to go, and is the most common method of working around town.

I'd also recommend these programs for cueing/beeps and streamers:

Sounds In Sync - EDICUE

and

Streamers

Edicue seconded. Just finished spotting my second film using it and I love it.

never tried streamers.
Old 20th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
In case you're interested in giving Streamers a try, I recently released an update (v2.0.4) that supports rental/demo licenses. I haven't worked out a rental pricing scheme yet, so I'm just giving them out for free at the moment. heh PM me and I'll hook you up for a month or so, so you can try it out.

(And Chris, thanks for the plug!)

Sean
Old 5th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo ➑️
I can recommend Voice Q ADR from KIWA!

VoiceQ :: An ADR and Dubbing Evolution - Frontpage
Yaz - So I checked out Voice Q from this link and I'm a little curious as to how it works. Since you seem to use it, can you tell me how the script ends up being frame accurate on every word? Am I typing in the script? etc. Any info on the basic work flow will be appreciated as well. Thx
Old 6th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool

I don't do a lot of ADR, but am set up for it. I use a consumer 27" Samsung TV (used, $150) in the control room, fed off of a Canopus ADVC 100 (22 quarter frame offset) ($170 when I bought it new) from my Mac. The video out of the Samsung feeds the video input of a consumer 19" Panasonic TV (used, $75) in the studio. Audio monitoring is a submix from Pro Tools into a Mackie Big Knob feeding a Symetrix Headphone amp.

I request a QuickTime hi-resolution .mov or .dv of the visuals; the better picture quality makes checking dialog and Foley sync easier. Also, with lower resolution files I've had issues with dropped frames, time compression, etc. and the OMF would drift out of sync.

The results have always been most satisfactory.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yaz - So I checked out Voice Q from this link and I'm a little curious as to how it works. Since you seem to use it, can you tell me how the script ends up being frame accurate on every word? Am I typing in the script? etc. Any info on the basic work flow will be appreciated as well. Thx
We use Voice Q up here as well. We also have Fairlight's Pyxis with ADR option which works similarily.

You can import scripts based in Word, Excel or text files into software provided by Voice Q. If the scripts have timecode nested into them, the software will transfer that information into VoiceQ. If the script has no TC, you have to mark each in/out and you can do it on the fly and easily tweak afterwards. What is very quick and easy is the ability to drag sentences or individual words around. On the screen, you can insert the audio waveform and move your words around to sync up.

If you have no script, or are just doing a few lines, you can type them in and move them around.

Actors love the program - looks like Kareoke I guess. Being able to adjust when each word travels across the screen helps with the performance in a rhythmical sense.

We used a trial version for a while and then bought the program.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Since I haven't seen anyone else mention it, VocAlign is extremely useful for this sort of work.

-Ben B
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B ➑️
Since I haven't seen anyone else mention it, VocAlign is extremely useful for this sort of work.

-Ben B
Absolutely indispensable. It's also great when grabbing lines from the unused takes.
πŸ“ Reply