Quantcast
Stereo score , mono dialog, should I encode in LRC for DVD and TV? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stereo score , mono dialog, should I encode in LRC for DVD and TV?
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Stereo score , mono dialog, should I encode in LRC for DVD and TV?

Ok, this is my first full score for picture. It is a documentary that will be played in theaters, television and DVD release. My question has to do with how to properly marry the audio with the video, or more specifically, should I use surround encoding to separate the stereo score from the dialog?

Here's my issue. I made a stereo mix of the dialog and score together and gave it to the editor. I burned a test DVD and noticed that on my home theater system everything is coming out of the center channel, and it is difficult to hear the score, and of course, it's not in stereo.

Should I do a surround mix and put the music in L and R with dialog in the center? (or maybe putting everything in LRC?) Will this be compatible with TV as well as DVD? Do I need to do anything with the surround LR channels? How do i deliever the final product to the editor (who is using AVID) multichannel? two track encoded?

I'm using Nuendo, and I believe that it has surround capabilities.
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
If you mixed it LoRo and the dialog was panned center with the music spread left right, you should get the same phantom center when playing it on your home theater system.

It sounds like when the audio was encoded for the DVD, the panning was accidentally mono'd out.

I do true stereo (not LT/RT) mixes all the time for DVD and have never had a problem with it.

If you've never mixed surround and don't have a properly set up room, I'd stay away from it or send it to be mixed by someone with experience.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
What Rick said, and also what may have happened is that if your home theater system was set to decode Dolby Pro-Logic, then that can really wreak havoc on a Lo/Ro mix. Usually what happens is the Dolby matrix will pull stuff to the center if it's the same on both sides. So, a "stereo" music cue can often become very center-heavy if there's not enough difference between the 2 sides.
And if the editor didn't pan the 2 sides of the mix hard left & right in FCP when he made the DVD, then you have a mono mix and that's why it's all coming out the center.
Hope this helps, good luck!

Best,

Joe
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Also make sure when you encode the DVD you specify STEREO.... no dolby surround encoding.

cheers
geo
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I used DVD Architect to make the DVD and in the properties is says that it is set to AC3 Stereo.

The editor told me to give him three audio files (LR music and C dialog) and he could encode it in 3.1 so I'm going to try that as well.

My HT system uses PLII decoding. Do you think it would be better to do a 3.1 mix or still try to burn a stereo DVD and hear a phantom center? I'm thinking the 3.1 would sound better, but I'm still concerned about compatibility on non-dolby systems.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMilner โžก๏ธ
What Rick said, and also what may have happened is that if your home theater system was set to decode Dolby Pro-Logic, then that can really wreak havoc on a Lo/Ro mix. Usually what happens is the Dolby matrix will pull stuff to the center if it's the same on both sides. So, a "stereo" music cue can often become very center-heavy if there's not enough difference between the 2 sides.
And if the editor didn't pan the 2 sides of the mix hard left & right in FCP when he made the DVD, then you have a mono mix and that's why it's all coming out the center.
Hope this helps, good luck!

Best,

Joe
Joe..thanks for that information...I never knew that, but makes sense.
๐Ÿ“ Reply