Quantcast
licencing/copyrighting your own sfx - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
licencing/copyrighting your own sfx
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
licencing/copyrighting your own sfx

forgive me if this topic has been covered. i did some searches and can't find anything. if someone can point me to a previous thread, that'd be great.

for those of you out there that sell your own original sfx personally, how do you copyright them? is it similar to composers and their music? i'm reading thru the library of congress website right now and getting pretty overwhelmed.

in this case, i'm providing some originally recorded sfx to a director who's previous films i worked on. i'll be making a contract with at least him - but i wonder about the sfx getting out there otherwise.

thanks for any advice

-greg-
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Yes, you can copywrite a sound recording using form SR. Most people who do this do it for a group of sound effects, like a CD or DVD collection of FX.

Enforcing a copywrite on a per use basis is another matter entirely. There are no associations like BMI or Ascap to distribute royalties or a Harry Fox Agency to police usage for sound effects.

Almost all sound effect libraries are buyouts and royalty free. There are a few who make "musical" sound effects and market them as "ambient" beds and hits, which you must license on a per use basis, though unfortunately, I seriously doubt if this is very enforceable.

If you can sell your personal sound effects on a per use basis, go for it, but it's rarely done.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanks Rick,

this is very useful information.

-greg-
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…