Quantcast
DMM and varying deliverables - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DMM and varying deliverables
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
DMM and varying deliverables

I'm about to start using the Dolby Media Meter software to measure loudness for deliverables.

I've checked a bunch of mixes of projects I'm currently working on which have been mixed in my room (calibrated to 79db) and they are very consistently averaging -23 when measured with the DMM (dialog intelligence ON).

I normally mix the 5.1 by ear and master the LtRt with the Massey L2007 to deliver the proper peak levels. which is the only deliverable required up to now.

This new series requires Dolby E with a Dial Norm of -27. I'll be delivering a 5.1 PCM file which will be encode using the default settings of the encoder. I'd like to find the best way to mix to my ear which gives me the desired result.

What do you folks usually do to mix to a different level?

Would you
  1. Recalibrate your room?
  2. Increase your monitor gain?
  3. Post process the 5.1 mix with a Gain plug-in to achieve the desired output level?
  4. Are you kidding me! What the heck are you thinking.

TIA,
jim
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlongo ➡️
I'm about to start using the Dolby Media Meter software to measure loudness for deliverables.

I've checked a bunch of mixes of projects I'm currently working on which have been mixed in my room (calibrated to 79db) and they are very consistently averaging -23 when measured with the DMM (dialog intelligence ON).

I normally mix the 5.1 by ear and master the LtRt with the Massey L2007 to deliver the proper peak levels. which is the only deliverable required up to now.

This new series requires Dolby E with a Dial Norm of -27. I'll be delivering a 5.1 PCM file which will be encode using the default settings of the encoder. I'd like to find the best way to mix to my ear which gives me the desired result.

What do you folks usually do to mix to a different level?

Would you
  1. Recalibrate your room?
  2. Increase your monitor gain?
  3. Post process the 5.1 mix with a Gain plug-in to achieve the desired output level?
  4. Are you kidding me! What the heck are you thinking.

TIA,
jim
I don't have the DMM, but have been driving an LM100 since about a year after they came out. I found that to make sure I hit network spec I have to have the LM100 in the monitor chain (on an AES bus) from the get go. I usually work from VO to interview or DX and then onto verite or etc and then add music, watching the LM100 in short term as I cut and then long term as I mix. I had TERRIBLE luck trying to get a mix I'd done by ear or by any sort of LEQ-A device (such as AudioLeak) to fit into spec AFTER the fact. (As you know, it's not that those devices aren't accurate, but they don't have the Dolby Scary Science Stuff in them, and they are not what the networks QC with.) Since you've got the DMM happening on your system, I'd use it all the time to keep yourself honest. A -27 dialnorm seems pretty doable w/o an LM100/DMM if you have great ears and really know your room, but more compressed mixes, as for PBS SD (-24) ABC etc (-23) w/ -10 peak are much tougher to keep in the pocket without the Dolby meters, and you'll undoubtedly end up doing some of those soon too. (My little room is @ -79, and a I readjust the moni volume to suit the dialnorm I'm after.)

Philip Perkins
Old 27th January 2009
hef
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Choice 2 is what I do. That I think makes the most sense.
📝 Reply