Quantcast
Recommend an App/Utility to convert .WAV to MPEG1 Layer 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recommend an App/Utility to convert .WAV to MPEG1 Layer 2
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Recommend an App/Utility to convert .WAV to MPEG1 Layer 2

Hey, guys. Does anyone have any recommendations for an app or utility that will convert PCM .wav files to MPEG 1 Layer 2 for loading into Nexgen systems?

I've been using something called PSI Converter at work, but it'd be nice to convert these files at home using something else. I've tried a few apps like Vegas, but Nexgen doesn't seem to like the files I've created for some reason. It can be Mac or PC, but Mac would be more convenient.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Old 26th January 2009
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks. Is this for video or audio files? Both maybe?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
We do this on a daily basic with audio using Wavelab 6.0
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I love MPEG Streamclip and think everyone should have it, but, it might not work for you: I just tried to open a wav and an mp3 and was surprised to find problems with both! It looks like it's 'open files/audio file' menu should support this sort of thing tho'

I don't have an mpeg1 layer 2 to test with. This file type is mentioned on the streamclip website
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thank you guys both for your recommendations!

Thomas: I haven't tried Wavelab yet since we use Vegas at work. I was kinda hoping for just an inexpensive little utility solely for doing conversions at home. Are you importing files directly into Nexgen? I'm gonna keep it in the running, though. Maybe I can just run it in Parallels?

jahtao: MPEG Steamclip would be great since it's free and is Mac / PC compatible. However, I was reading the download page and it didn't say anything about being able to export MPEG1-Layer2 audio files. When I get some free time, I'll just have a poke around with it.

Thanks again and keep any suggestions coming!
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sorenson Squeeze or Episode Pro by Telestream. They're my meat and potatoes converters for anything and everything.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi, musikwerkz. Thanks for the recommendations. Are you using these to export into Nexgen? They both look cool, but I'm still not sure if they output the audio file types I need: MPEG-1 Layer 2, stereo, 192bit, 48k, 8.0:1. I checked the product pages, but it seems like Sorenson gets the closest.

Also, Sorenson starts @ $500 and Episode Pro is $1000.

Anything out there that (a.) just does conversion to MPEG1-Layer2 audio files, (b.) is freeware/shareware/inexpensive and (c.) is preferably dual platform? Thanks again in advance!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sorenson Squeeze 5 does what you ask for... I think.

Not sure if you meant 192kbps or 192 bit? Also not sure what you mean by 8.0:1

But otherwise, Sorenson can do the job. Send me a file and I will do a test for you.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think Cleaner can do it too, but that is not cheap either.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahtao ➑️
I love MPEG Streamclip and think everyone should have it, but, it might not work for you: I just tried to open a wav and an mp3 and was surprised to find problems with both! It looks like it's 'open files/audio file' menu should support this sort of thing tho'

I don't have an mpeg1 layer 2 to test with. This file type is mentioned on the streamclip website
Hi,
MPEG Streamclip seems to not be able to open WAV files, but can open AIF files. Drag and Drop doesn't work though. I had to go to File>Open Files and change the Drop-Down menu in the open file dialog to Audio Files. I just tried it using an AIF file and exporting to MPEG1 Layer II, 192kbps, 48k. Not sure about the 8.0:1 setting. Once I had the AIF file open in MPEG Streamclip, I went to File>Export Audio, selected MP2 as the Format, 48 kHz as the Sample Rate, and 192 kbps as the bit rate. The resulting file had an .mp2 extension. I am not familiar with the Nexgen system, so I have no idea if these .mp2 files would be compatible, but its one more thing to try and its FREE heh
Hope this helps.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for all the help, guys! I'll give MPEG Streamclip a try tomorrow when I have some time. Too bad it doesn't open .WAV files, but converting to .AIF first shouldn't be a hassle.
Old 10th April 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Junior-
I'm in the EXACT boat you were in with the pesky Nex Gen. Did you ever figure out a program that works? I've tried many with no luck.
Old 10th April 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior ➑️
Hey, guys. Does anyone have any recommendations for an app or utility that will convert PCM .wav files to MPEG 1 Layer 2 for loading into Nexgen systems?

I've been using something called PSI Converter at work, but it'd be nice to convert these files at home using something else. I've tried a few apps like Vegas, but Nexgen doesn't seem to like the files I've created for some reason. It can be Mac or PC, but Mac would be more convenient.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
iSonics on Mac is the way to go. Also - it's quite easy to do it using ffmpeg, which is cross platform -

128 kbps mono:

ffmpeg -i <input.wav> -acodec mp2 -ab 128k <output.mp2>

256 kbps stereo:

ffmpeg -i <input.wav> -acodec mp2 -ab 256k <output.mp2>

Just omit the <> brackets and insert your source file and output filename/destination.

-paul.
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow, blast from the past. I actually gave up looking for something to do this. iSonics looks pretty good, though. Might give it a try. Thanks!
πŸ“ Reply