Ferrari, Porsche, Buggati..... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ferrari, Porsche, Buggati.....
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years

Hi!

I will have to record some sport cars engines.... soon.... for a commercial.....

pass by, interior of engine, exterior near the engine, sound inside of a drivers cabin....etc

Any suggestions for mic selection and placement.....?

Any special tricks....?

Thanks in advance,

Gregor Z
Old 25th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The Practical Art of Motion Picture Sound - by David L. Yewdall has a very in depth chapter regarding recording cars.

Those examples would probably be really helpful to you. Other than that, I'm not a big fan of the book. He talks about how great he is more than anything else.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Practical Art of Motion Picture Sound - Google Book Search

Great book!
Old 26th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I've spent a fair bit of time looking into this online and can find plenty on recording cars for SFX but nothing for recording moving cars. In the next couple of weeks I'm off to a track in the south of France to record some cars driving on the track but haven't done anything like this before.

Does anyone have any experience of recording cars in this way? I'm yet to be properly briefed but imagine I'll be recording from the side of the track and possibly might have the opportunity to put some radio mics in the car/engine.

I own the book mentioned above and will look at that but am really hoping for some personal experiences doing this and any advice or things to watch out for.

Many thanks.
pan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Audi Sound Design - Video

Might be interesting for some aspects of your endeavour. It's about corporate sound...in german.
Old 26th April 2011
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
http://designingsound.org/2010/08/ro...ecording-cars/

This might be what you're looking for!

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan ➑️
Might be interesting for some aspects of your endeavour. It's about corporate sound...in german.
Here's that same video, in English, and without the silly added on sfx which really aren't that funny...

YouTube - Audi Sound Studio - What is the Audi sound?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi!

I got a job some time ago to record top cars in action from a club of sport car collectors.

Here is their website , where you can hear some samples of recordings, I also recorded the intro: Burya Superauto Club | Change language

Here are some photos of setting up the mics, the biggest problem was the wind at high speeds , so we actually had to do some test recordings first.
I had to build several "shields" , before I found the right shape that "worked" best. I also had to buy a special duck tape as owners had concerns regarding the damage that could be done to the car finish...I don't remember which one was it...something from a specialized car shop..

Underneath the mic I had to put some foam like material to suspend vibrations, it took me some time to find the best combination, to eliminate rumble.

Another problem was dynamic range, those Ferraris, especially 599 are very quiet when you drive them slowly, and become VERY loud afterwards. I tried using condenser mic, but the results were not good, so I ended using Electrovoice ND967 which gave me the best dynamic range, with minimum wind noise and best "sound".

Top speed was over 300 km/h, so the wind was extremely strong.

I also had problems with sudden motion sensor in my MacBook Pro because of the extreme accelerations....In the end I was recording everything on a fast USB stick instead of a internal HD. heh

If you have any additional questions just ask, I will ask the owners if I can share some recordings here.

Best,

Gregor
Attached Thumbnails
Ferrari, Porsche, Buggati.....-img_5077.jpg   Ferrari, Porsche, Buggati.....-img_5081.jpg   Ferrari, Porsche, Buggati.....-img_5082.jpg   Ferrari, Porsche, Buggati.....-img_5086.jpg   Ferrari, Porsche, Buggati.....-img_5088.jpg  

Ferrari, Porsche, Buggati.....-img_5090.jpg  
Old 26th April 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

I will surprised if Audi will use this for make a good exhaust sound they use it too prevent the driver for having hassle free telefon call lol,Audi even dont matched too build a cool one after the takeover of Lamborghini.

Now Audi trys too imitate the good old Lamborghini Diablo sound with the aventador (name translated the cleaner !!). But without a sportexhaust no cool sound on that on just go too Kreisieg or Capristo exhaust too see and hear real cool Sounds !?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan
Audi Sound Design - Video

pan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidius ➑️
Here's that same video, in English, and without the silly added on sfx which really aren't that funny...

Thanks, that's what I had in mind, but could not find
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…