Quantcast
Monitoring layback of audio - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitoring layback of audio
Old 23rd January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Monitoring layback of audio

I am wanting to find a way to be able to monitor multiple digital audio channels being layed back to video. I am sending 4 to 8 channels AES digital
and am trying to find a way to monitor multiple AES audio outs of the VTR during the layback. Some of the VTR's (e.g. HDCam) only have two analog audio outs, so that is my reason for needing to listen to AES outs.
Does anyone have any ideas of something that I can feed the AES digital outs into, and then be able to route them to my monitors?

Thanks

Tom Backus C.A.S.
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
i don't really understand the question. it seems too simple. maybe you could be more specific?

you can just swap through the AES pairs, by switching the routing to your D/A.

or do you need to listen to all those channels simultaneously? if so, a digital mixer would work. or you could feed the channels back into your DAW/interface and monitor them through software. like, if you're using pro tools, you could set up a few AUX channels and set them to input monitor during the layback.

also, i know the HDCAM-SR decks allow you to do a bit of output channel/track reassignment. maybe you can send all the tracks to outputs 1/2? i can't remember if it will let you mix tracks...
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb HDCAM SR Monitoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer ➡️
also, i know the HDCAM-SR decks allow you to do a bit of output channel/track reassignment. maybe you can send all the tracks to outputs 1/2? i can't remember if it will let you mix tracks...
You can send multiple tracks to the headphone channels. I believe those assignments also carry over to the monitor outputs at the back of the VTR.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hociman ➡️
You can send multiple tracks to the headphone channels. I believe those assignments also carry over to the monitor outputs at the back of the VTR.
Yes indeed... that is the way to do it.
📝 Reply