Quantcast
Video editing/mixing in Pro Tools, need advice! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Video editing/mixing in Pro Tools, need advice!
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Video editing/mixing in Pro Tools, need advice!

Hey everyone,

Well I am trying something new with my pro tools, I want to video tape something, then go into pro tools import my video and mix the sound.

So here is what it is, I am doing an interview, and show someones guitar work.

I have a camcorder mini dv,

1- How do I get the movie in pro tools, what should I convert it to? Avi? or what

2- How will I ever get the sound and video to match?

I need a literal crash course in this so if anyone has any tips for a new bee i would be most appreciative. Thanks!
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
...sigh...

make sure you record at 48Khz or 44.1Khz NOT 32Khz on your camera audio settings.

you need a basic video editing package. ASSUMING.. your camera has a firewire cable, you probably have a video editing package that came with the camera... or at least a download software application... either way, get the video file with the audio embedded into your computer as a quicktime files. ( connect camera via firewire or USB depending on camera, open video s/w import or CAPTURE the video. )

Open protools. create new session. to match the camera audio settings. Go to the import pulldown screen... import VIDEO to new track. This will place the video in protools on a new video track. Then import audio FROM current video file. This will create a stereo or 2 mono tracks with the audio. It will be all in sync and a happy camper.

Muck away.. when all done bounce to Quicktime file.

If you want to edit the video.. you have to do that in a video editing package and then export the video and audio as a quicktime file and follow the above instructions..

This is the simplist way to do a really basic process.

cheers
geo
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool

When you export from your video editing program I recommend that you export as a hi-resolution .dv or .mov QuickTime. I've run into problems with other types of files - dropped frames and the like - when the files are compressed. I like the hi-rez picture for doing Foley work and sync matching dialog/ADR.

Export the audio as OMF with - at minimum - five second handles. I prefer ten (10) second handles.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
oh... now you've gone and done it. You are assuming this guys knows how to manage OMFs and reconnect media in sync.. I was trying to keep it out of that realm...

cheers
geo
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia ➡️
oh... now you've gone and done it. You are assuming this guys knows how to manage OMFs and reconnect media in sync.. I was trying to keep it out of that realm...
As I was told when I first got into computers (a 486 PC was the best you could buy and we had a color monitor at my job)...

It's all very simple,
but there's one HELL of a lot of simple.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's all very simple,
but there's one HELL of a lot of simple.
[/QUOTE]

ypu... heck.. it's *ALL* just a bunch of 1's and 0's...

cheers
geo
📝 Reply