The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Working for sound edition with HDMI out on M1
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Working for sound edition with HDMI out on M1

Hello everyone,
being a novice in the field of post-production I have a small question concerning the video out of Pro Tools. I have to do the sound editing and mixing of a documentary. Usually I work with an sync HD and a Video Ref clock so no worries, but for this project I will be limited to an M1 laptop and my HDMI output. Do you think I might have lag and drift issues ? Thanks in advance !!!
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
It will not drift. You'll have to measure the latency to get your video sync offset.

Sync will vary slightly with each play due to the lack of genlock. But a lot of people seem to get by with the HDMI out. (I should say I don't use it myself)
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #3
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou ➑️
It will not drift. You'll have to measure the latency to get your video sync offset.

Sync will vary slightly with each play due to the lack of genlock. But a lot of people seem to get by with the HDMI out. (I should say I don't use it myself)
Thanks you Will !
This comforts me, yes it will be necessary to set up my offset.
Cheers
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Andrew Mottl's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
FWIW, you might want to play with different refresh rates to see which gives the most "stable" sync jitter from play to play.
Here in my setup, 50Hz works better than 60 on my external screen (I work in PAL-Land though ).
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
TVPostSound's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonhp ➑️
Hello everyone,
being a novice in the field of post-production I have a small question concerning the video out of Pro Tools. I have to do the sound editing and mixing of a documentary. Usually I work with an sync HD and a Video Ref clock so no worries, but for this project I will be limited to an M1 laptop and my HDMI output. Do you think I might have lag and drift issues ? Thanks in advance !!!
Ive done over 100 episodes from my home using HDMI out.
Do a daily check using this
https://quietart.co.nz/catchinsync/
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #6
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mottl ➑️
FWIW, you might want to play with different refresh rates to see which gives the most "stable" sync jitter from play to play.
Here in my setup, 50Hz works better than 60 on my external screen (I work in PAL-Land though ).
Ok interesting I'll try, thanks.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #7
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound ➑️
Ive done over 100 episodes from my home using HDMI out.
Do a daily check using this
https://quietart.co.nz/catchinsync/
Hey, I do this with sync one2 v2 but thank you !
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
TVPostSound's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonhp ➑️
Hey, I do this with sync one2 v2 but thank you !
Even better!!

I do it daily, and also on every show.

Never a sync issue out HDMI.
Albeit, I only use DNXHD36. or DNXHR.
I convert any and all videos given to me to this codec using Shutter Encoder.
Never ever trust H264, or mp4 variations.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #9
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound ➑️
Even better!!

I do it daily, and also on every show.

Never a sync issue out HDMI.
Albeit, I only use DNXHD36. or DNXHR.
I convert any and all videos given to me to this codec using Shutter Encoder.
Never ever trust H264, or mp4 variations.
Same here ! So it's seems it will be ok ! Thank guys !
Old 2 days ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
mattrixx's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Also good to do another pass watching on the M1 Laptop screen itself with the setting you know you are comfortable with watching a QT. If they look and feel the same, then you've gotta be in the ball park.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 72 views: 17020
Avatar for SDDP
SDDP 13th October 2021
replies: 54 views: 7844
Avatar for Deleted 017a497bf4b65e2
Deleted 017a497bf4b65e2 26th November 2019
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump