The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
"Sound of Metal" Best Sound Oscar
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
"Sound of Metal" Best Sound Oscar

I don't think anything here counts as a "spoiler." But I could be wrong, so you've been warned.

I guess we can assume that the Oscar was mainly for the "Oh crap, I'm going deaf" stuff and the representation of the sound of the cochlear implants. The latter, especially. As far as that goes, though, do you think the Oscar win was at least partly due to the fact that nobody saw this movie in a theater, where they'd have been trapped with no remote and no volume control? I mean, that soup of extreme narrow spikes and bitcrushing was absolutely brutal. In a theater, I guarantee that people would have fled.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➡️
I don't think anything here counts as a "spoiler." But I could be wrong, so you've been warned.

I guess we can assume that the Oscar was mainly for the "Oh crap, I'm going deaf" stuff and the representation of the sound of the cochlear implants. The latter, especially. As far as that goes, though, do you think the Oscar win was at least partly due to the fact that nobody saw this movie in a theater, where they'd have been trapped with no remote and no volume control? I mean, that soup of extreme narrow spikes and bitcrushing was absolutely brutal. In a theater, I guarantee that people would have fled.
Being able to treat cochlear implants as a “walk in” surgery was novel.

Aside from that and the weird and unexplained connection to Belgium, it was an ok film - that took ten years to make. I’m assuming some zynaptiq plugins got a work out.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I found the film and the sound extremely effective. I listened at reference and it sounded great. Glad it won, a creative triumph. Nicolas Becker is a legend. This win reminds me a bit of Arrival's win the other year, in that it wasn't particularly the most whiz-bangy film but maybe had the most love, care and artistry put into it's soundtrack.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 ➡️
Being able to treat cochlear implants as a “walk in” surgery was novel.
That's just one of those "it's a movie" things, like instant DNA analysis, and waitresses who can afford their own cool Manhattan apartment, and nobody ever saying goodbye before they hang up the phone.

Quote:
Aside from that and the weird and unexplained connection to Belgium...
There had to be a cheaper and less remote way to give the GF/bandmate a privileged and sophisticated upbringing, no?

Quote:
it was an ok film...
Less feel-bad than Bergman, but not much. Dev Patel was good. My wife pointed out that his frosted tips would have needed at least weekly maintenance.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Dev Patel was good.
*Riz Ahmed
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan01 ➡️
*Riz Ahmed
Yep, you're right. Heh.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Dev Patel was good.
You watched the film, right?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko ➡️
You watched the film, right?
Yep, the whole thing. I also can't tell the difference between Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz, and I get Charlize Theron and Scarlett Johannson mixed up a lot.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
We can imagine that the winners somehow managed to fool the whole Academy and convince them to award the film.
But they also managed to fool their colleagues from CAS, who gave them the award for best mixing.
So many incompetent guys in the industry...
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
We can imagine that the winners somehow managed to fool the whole Academy and convince them to award the film.
But they also managed to fool their colleagues from CAS, who gave them the award for best mixing.
I don't think anyone was trying to fool anyone, and it was a daunting problem. Show that the experience of the implants is excruciating without making it literally excruciating for the audience. Not possible in a situation where the audience isn't given a governor.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes, everyone except you is a fool. Well considered.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes, everyone except you is a fool. Well considered.
Another reason to avoid sarcasm -- there's always gonna someone who won't know that it's supposed to be sarcastic.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Another reason to avoid sarcasm -- there's always gonna someone who won't know that it's supposed to be sarcastic.
Yes it was sarcasm. Hey maybe Branko was being sarcastic too??
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Awards are created by the industry to promote itself and congratulate its members who, like me, pay quite a bit into the academy to maintain membership.

Still, the awards are decided by a panel of judges (members like me) making it prone to all the issues any adjudicated event can fall prey to - politics, favoritism, graft, and yes, incompetence. I’m not suggesting any of those issue were at play here, but it’s a subjective award, and if one doesn’t like it, so what? I’ve disliked many a “best picture” and loved many that have not a single nomination, in any category.

Perspective, folks - it’s art, either it appeals to you or it doesn’t.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Awards are created by the industry to promote itself and congratulate its members who, like me, pay quite a bit into the academy to maintain membership.

Still, the awards are decided by a panel of judges (members like me) making it prone to all the issues any adjudicated event can fall prey to - politics, favoritism, graft, and yes, incompetence. I’m not suggesting any of those issue were at play here, but it’s a subjective award, and if one doesn’t like it, so what? I’ve disliked many a “best picture” and loved many that have not a single nomination, in any category.

Perspective, folks - it’s art, either it appeals to you or it doesn’t.
I mentioned CAS because it is a specific award, voted by a relatively narrow segment of professionals and, although subjective, it reflects a different point of view than that of other Academy members.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hey maybe Branko was being sarcastic too??
Would you venture a guess?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Would you venture a guess?
No, I'd rather just believe that you weren't projecting your opinion onto wide swathes of your peers.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
in some of the tech forums that I visit outside of this one, we use a '/s' to denote sarcasm...

Randall

Quote:
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…