The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
seeking ADR Workflow insight
Old 23rd March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
One reason we always use markers is because they are named with the Cue Number and nothing else. The record track has to be named with the Cue Number so we can track cues and takes. All audio files are named with whatever cue number (then take) the production has set up -- whether in-house or out of house. I suppose there are other ways to track the cue numbers so you have them available during the session, but markers let you hop around and instantly have the text for the cue number.
Old 23rd March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And do most people set up separate, pre-named tracks for each cue in advance, or do you rename the record track when switching to a new cue?
Old 23rd March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Change name of record track, I think that is easiest. also, my ADR template is complex, so, don't want to copy it 35 times.

Then, a set of Take Tracks (1-25), then a SELECT 1, SELECT 2, ALT.

As we record, we drag a take down. As they call out selects -- or edits to make selects, we drag those down. Those takes are routed correctly for playback as necessary.
Old 23rd March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by minister ➡️
Change name of record track, I think that is easiest. also, my ADR template is complex, so, don't want to copy it 35 times.

As we record, we drag a take down. As they call out selects -- or edits to make selects, we drag those down. Those takes are routed correctly for playback as necessary.
That seems to be a preferred method. I tried that a couple of sessions, then went back to using Playlists, which is much, much faster for me, and I like the automatic take numbering. I know a lot of ADR editors hate Playlists for some reason, so unless they specifically tell me they're okay with them, I create the take tracks and drag from the Playlists after the session.
Old 24th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues ➡️
Once I have all the elements its just a matter of loading them into my template and pasting in the audio beeps and MIDI streamer region.
What are you using for the streamer?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by minister ➡️

Sama here. I also have beeps as a clip I tail-snap to the cue. Prefer it that way.

Playlists are a pain for me. Usually I only care about the selects unless serious surgery is required and then it's a pain no matter what. Honestly if I'm on the receiving end I don't even care about having all the takes laid out. If I need one besides the selects or alts I can swap it in.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundox ➡️
What are you using for the streamer?
I use EdiPrompt, Figure 53's "Streamers" app (which is awesome and free but unfortunately not supported on Catalina), or Video Slave Pro depending on the room. In all of those cases I have the apps set up to trigger a streamer from a MIDI note in Pro Tools.

-Mike
Old 25th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I use EdiPrompt, Figure 53's "Streamers" app (which is awesome and free but unfortunately not supported on Catalina), or Video Slave Pro depending on the room. In all of those cases I have the apps set up to trigger a streamer from a MIDI note in Pro Tools.

-Mike
OMG, I've been looking for something like Streamers! Simple..
Only issue is you can't use hardware video playback, only on third monitor etc. right?
Also, can you change the speed of the streamer at all? Thanks!
Old 9th April 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
These ideas are all great. When I started this thread, I knew a lot less than I know now. These were my challenges:

Need to use pro tools - dont want to switch workstations.
Need customizable streamers and beeps.
Need a fast way to get text into the visual cues.

Streamers from figure 53 seems to be done. the site is non resposive.

I ended up going with ADR master. I wanted a robust visual cuing system and personally I find the idea of using midi to trigger events a little out dated. Also Voice Q seemed out of the price range for my needs.

with ADR master, it's rock solid. I'm able to drive with pro-tools and it just chased along, and if the director decides to change a cue start location on the fly, which happens a lot, i simply highlight the new time selection in protools and with one click it's entered into ADR master and the promts are ready an seconds. i can copy past the text fast.

Also, for the projects I am doing right now, the directors like to watch whats going on as a streamed video feed (zoom doesn't really cut it). without getting into the details, having ADR master as a second app gives me the option to use AVID video engine as an alternate video source streamed sepreate from zoom. This has turned out to be a big thing since i can sllde this second stream earlier or later to match sync with other sources.

The only thing I still need help on is importing the cues. most sessions I do are fairly quick. 5-10 lines here and there per actor, so I've been receiving pdf scripts and just manually creating the ADR cues. no big deal.

Still trying to get my brain wrapped around the process of importing large amounts of cues from the film studio. I've been told to ask for the protools session, from which i can generate a text file. But until I do this it's still unkown. Any tips? should I buy EdiCue?

thanks
Old 10th April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntunes ➡️
The only thing I still need help on is importing the cues. most sessions I do are fairly quick. 5-10 lines here and there per actor, so I've been receiving pdf scripts and just manually creating the ADR cues. no big deal.

Still trying to get my brain wrapped around the process of importing large amounts of cues from the film studio. I've been told to ask for the protools session, from which i can generate a text file. But until I do this it's still unkown. Any tips? should I buy EdiCue?

thanks
ADR Master should be able to import from a PT text file. But it depends how the production is generating their cues. You would not need Edicue if you're already using ADR Master.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
While we're on the subject.
How do you setup your loops if the talent wants to do parrot style recording?
I do manual loops by duplicating the guide audio clip say three times with enough space in between. Do you use Loop Record mode at all?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I would consider myself a Nuendo poweruser since I am working with Nuendo almost every day for more than 10 Years.

The ADR tool is great, BUT I think it is mostly designed for language dubbing. That is a different thing than ADR because you usually have to work much faster (<300 cues per day). And you work mostly with trained full time dubbing-voice-actors that are used to the ADR tool. Then the workflow can be very fast.

I have also done many ADR sessions with Nuendo and often I change the workflow around in the recording session to make it as easy as possible for the Actor. It happens a lot that I just throw the ADR tool over board. Then I just play the "broken" on-set dialog for the actor, punch in and let them repeat it. Then I quickly edit it to check if it is lipsync.

So the ADR sometimes is a real blessing, but it is not the holy grail ...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundox ➡️
While we're on the subject.
How do you setup your loops if the talent wants to do parrot style recording?
I do manual loops by duplicating the guide audio clip say three times with enough space in between. Do you use Loop Record mode at all?
I use a Boss RC-30 loop station. It’s fed from a prefader send from the production audio track and comes back into an aux input in PT or on my console, depending on the system.

I like being able to use my feet to manipulate the loop while my hands are busy on faders or the mouse.

I grab the sample on the fly either during rehearsals or on the record and I feel like I can play it with much more precise timing this way with the pedal versus placing audio on the Pro Tools timeline. Sometimes I get talent who wants to parrot, sometimes they want to talk along with the sample, sometimes they want to hear it once and do several wild takes after and this gives me the flexibility to adjust to any or all of those methods on the fly.

Other engineers I know use hardware units like the Eventide Harmonizer in the same way, but like I said I like having my hands free for other things.

-Mike
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I use a Boss RC-30 loop station. It’s fed from a prefader send from the production audio track and comes back into an aux input in PT or on my console, depending on the system.

I like being able to use my feet to manipulate the loop while my hands are busy on faders or the mouse.

I grab the sample on the fly either during rehearsals or on the record and I feel like I can play it with much more precise timing this way with the pedal versus placing audio on the Pro Tools timeline. Sometimes I get talent who wants to parrot, sometimes they want to talk along with the sample, sometimes they want to hear it once and do several wild takes after and this gives me the flexibility to adjust to any or all of those methods on the fly.

Other engineers I know use hardware units like the Eventide Harmonizer in the same way, but like I said I like having my hands free for other things.

-Mike
That's clever!
📝 Reply