The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone doing post WITHOUT an AJA or BM interface?
Old 26th February 2021
Gear Addict

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Anyone doing post WITHOUT an AJA or BM interface?

I've been mixing TV documentaries for a couple of years now quite happily using the internal Avid Video engine and a window on one of my monitors. No AJA or BM card in sight.

My Post shop is tiny and all I'm dealing with are screen-locked 22 min videos for TV/Digital. No 5.1 and no working with the video editors (other than sending them the final mixes+stems).

It's all been going just fine, but I was wondering if I am missing anything? I know a lot of the bigger shops have BM and AJA setups. I was wondering if I need to go down that path or if I should just keep on as I am?

Keep in mind that my market is smaller, local productions - It still has to sound good, but I don't have mega budgets presented to me. The business works because I keep things simple.

Anyway, some input would be ace.

Thanks!

H.
Old 26th February 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Aja/BM have a more steady sync, even without expensive genlock. They always output a fullscreen video output without hassle, at a refreshrate equal to your videofile so it doesn't have to fit a 25fps framerate into your 60Hz computermonitor output (although some setups using hdmi will allow video refreshrates when connected to a tv/hdmi input I guess).

It's a fairly cheap quality of life thing.
If you are using a computer monitor for video it's better to stay as is.
If you are using a tv set you can buy the cheapest BM card and use that.
Old 26th February 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Check out the BM Ultrastudio Monitor 3G or Aja T-tap - TB3/TB2 in (respectively) with just a hdmi out. Definitely more solid than desktop video for not a lot of money. Worth it if your running through a TV
Old 26th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Animation ➑️
Check out the BM Ultrastudio Monitor 3G or Aja T-tap - TB3/TB2 in (respectively) with just a hdmi out. Definitely more solid than desktop video for not a lot of money. Worth it if your running through a TV
Do I need to run it through a TV?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Not all computer monitors support the video resolutions/refresh rates of the BM/AJA or general video devices, like true 24fps support, even when using hdmi (as they are built to be used with a laptop/pc hdmi output at 60fps). It's pretty much trial and error.
Old 26th February 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I do 99% of my post work just using my two monitors and NVidea graphics card, and haven't had a sync issue in many years even in longer form projects. I do have an AJA LHI feeding my booth monitor for my rare ADR sessions. Since it's a dedicated feed it's more convenient than trying to mess with additional desktop splitting or mirroring. But if you have no need for sending video to remote locations, I see no need for an additional video card.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer v2 ➑️
Do I need to run it through a TV?
Need, no but as Farhoof says, not all monitors support true fps compared to a TV. I find a noticeable difference cutting foley between (my) monitor & TV (both are Samsung models)
Old 26th February 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's not just about refresh rate. With a video interface you get significantly better scores when measuring jitter and stable playback. Using a Syncheck or SyncOne2 you'll see tighter audio and video and therefore you'll have more confidence in adjusting dialog for lipsync. Side benefits also include better color, and the inability to accidentally move your mouse over the image.

On the other hand, if you're not hosting clients and you aren't being asked to fix lipsync problems, you may not need it.
Old 27th February 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
what if you're tracking and syncing using a tv but wearing headphones 99% of the time. how do i ensure sync before going to the rerec mixer?
Old 28th February 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ive done over 600 episodes using a second Mac monitor without sync issues.

Confirmed sync by driving a Media Composer via video satellite for final picture mix notes.
Old 28th February 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Please note a second monitor will NOT drift the video over a long period of time (or short period of time for that matter). It is just a bit more wobbly, meaning it is spot on sync one second, and half a frame behind the next, and a quarter frame ahead at another point. In general you will not notice this and you can perfectly make this setup work. But it's there, a Syncheck or similar devices all confirm this, and it might be an issue when editting foley or when there is doubt about dialog sync.
Old 28th February 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
FWIW, I found my 3rd screen/TV to be more stable in sync setting it to 50Hz output 1080p, rather than 60Hz. Might be us working in PAL Land... but I get +/- 1/4 frame stability per play.
You might want to play with those system graphics settings.
Old 2nd March 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi, I've been doing post work on my home setup for the best part of the last 30 years. When I first managed to get video running from my Mac, rather than a synched VCR, the only real option was to use a dedicated card going to a TV. Bonus point was that you could "print" a VHS or U-Matic for your client (no mp4s back then).
Today, even if I still own a couple of Black Magic cards and one AJA, I work with a 3 monitors setup connected to my graphic card. It's probably not 100% perfect, but it's definitely working for me. Major gain is that I can resize the video window on my 40' monitor in order to have enough wiggle room for edit/mixing windows, plug ins, meters (far more important once the edit is done and you have to deliver)...

Forgot to say that I work in commercials and ads mostly, but do get long form as well.... I've actually had to run 6 to 8 hours localization session (with a single video) for an interactive cartoon project that had worldwide distribution.... no issues, no problems.
Old 2nd March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresler ➑️
Hi, I've been doing post work on my home setup for the best part of the last 30 years. When I first managed to get video running from my Mac, rather than a synched VCR, the only real option was to use a dedicated card going to a TV. Bonus point was that you could "print" a VHS or U-Matic for your client (no mp4s back then).
Today, even if I still own a couple of Black Magic cards and one AJA, I work with a 3 monitors setup connected to my graphic card. It's probably not 100% perfect, but it's definitely working for me. Major gain is that I can resize the video window on my 40' monitor in order to have enough wiggle room for edit/mixing windows, plug ins, meters (far more important once the edit is done and you have to deliver)...

Forgot to say that I work in commercials and ads mostly, but do get long form as well.... I've actually had to run 6 to 8 hours localization session (with a single video) for an interactive cartoon project that had worldwide distribution.... no issues, no problems.
My first post mixing gig was with a VCR with a Timecode channel on one side and reference track on the other. PT3 system. I almost forgot all about that.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross ➑️
My first post mixing gig was with a VCR with a Timecode channel on one side and reference track on the other. PT3 system. I almost forgot all about that.
Wish I totally forgot as well. Fun times work wise, but really cumbersome compared to today's practices....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross ➑️
Same here

Mac 7600 + VHS + Motu Midi Time Piece AV + PT III with 2 DCP cards. 16 voices. Wow.

Kuba
Old 6th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba_Pietrzak ➑️
Same here

Mac 7600 + VHS + Motu Midi Time Piece AV + PT III with 2 DCP cards. 16 voices. Wow.

Kuba
Yikes!!

I humbly salute you!!
Old 6th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Smile

7600 Check!.... then moved to 9600 :-)
Opcode Studio 3 (MIDI and TC)
Audiomedia III

That was the home setup

The studio did run on 9600, 888s, 2 TDM cards....
Seem like talking about the stone age
Old 7th March 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have a mixed hundreds of episodes of TV and a few documentaries/features and have never used anything but built-in video. I sometimes toy with the idea of getting a BM or AJA but nobody has ever sent me a video that wasn’t compressed and/or draft quality so I don’t really think there would be any benefit to having more stable/better sync (happy to learn I’m wrong about that though)
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…