The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Getting Atmos content off of an Apple TV into our mix room
Old 11th September 2022
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Apple music plays Atmos over Dante to my MTRX Studio now with no problem. I think it actually sounds better than our previous solution with an Apple TV and a receiver too, that might just be my imagination, though, I haven't ABed. Anyways, have anyone found a way to listen to the binaural playback from Apple Music via Dante? It would be good for referencing while mixing.
Old 7th October 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus ➡️
It looks like the Arvus H2-4D website is revived, and they speak of "ready for orders": https://www.arvus.com/atmos-h2-4d.html
Thanks for the info, Janus!

Has anyone seen or even tried a unit of the first batch in real life?
Old 27th November 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreªs ➡️

Same question here
Old 30th November 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreªs ➡️

We received one a few weeks ago. Works as advertised and was simple enough to set up. It can be powered by PoE, which is nice. I have an Apple TV 4K feeding it. The Arvus then feeds the video out to the projector and the audio goes onto our Dante Network which is routed to a MTRX. Pricey, but the simplicity makes it really nice. Tried it so far with Disney+, Netflix, AppleTV+, and we're able to get Atmos from all of them. It will do 7.1.4 or 9.1.6.

I attached a couple pics from when I was testing it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Getting Atmos content off of an Apple TV into our mix room-img_1804.jpg   Getting Atmos content off of an Apple TV into our mix room-img_1805.jpg  
Old 30th November 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSpringSound ➡️
We received one a few weeks ago. Works as advertised and was simple enough to set up. It can be powered by PoE, which is nice. I have an Apple TV 4K feeding it. The Arvus then feeds the video out to the projector and the audio goes onto our Dante Network which is routed to a MTRX. Pricey, but the simplicity makes it really nice. Tried it so far with Disney+, Netflix, AppleTV+, and we're able to get Atmos from all of them. It will do 7.1.4 or 9.1.6.

Thanks a lot @ BigSpringSound for sharing your review with all of us. I've a question please

Will it works if I connect all my HDMI sources to my TV (Apple TV, Xbox) and then use the eArc Hdmi out from Tv to the Arvus > Dante out ?

So the TV will only process image and pass the audio signal to the Arvus ?

Thanks
Old 1st December 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by qslprod ➡️
Thanks a lot @ BigSpringSound for sharing your review with all of us. I've a question please

Will it works if I connect all my HDMI sources to my TV (Apple TV, Xbox) and then use the eArc Hdmi out from Tv to the Arvus > Dante out ?

Thanks
I don't know enough about how HDMI works to confirm if that will work or not. Seems like it would in theory but I'm not able to test that setup. Arvus have a sales email address on their site. Might be worth checking with them.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I don't know enough about how HDMI works to confirm if that will work or not. Seems like it would in theory but I'm not able to test that setup. Arvus have a sales email address on their site. Might be worth checking with them.
Thanks, I sent an email in the past but I didn't receive any answer. Did you buy directly from them ?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Thanks
Please consider that not all audio streams pass through.
I have a Samsung TV connected to a NAS, that I use as a media server, and a Yamaha Atmos receiver. All of my Atmos mixes play nicely (DAPS exported as mp4), same goes for content with an audio track encoded as E-AC-3 JOC (your average VOD streaming format)..... anything else (like Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos or DTS X) no. This mostly depends on the nature of how a smart tv works: anything streaming compatible is ok, while higher formats (ie Blue Ray disks) need to go straight to the receiver or the Arvus...
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresler ➡️
Please consider that not all audio streams pass through.
I have a Samsung TV connected to a NAS, that I use as a media server, and a Yamaha Atmos receiver. All of my Atmos mixes play nicely (DAPS exported as mp4), same goes for content with an audio track encoded as E-AC-3 JOC (your average VOD streaming format)..... anything else (like Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos or DTS X) no. This mostly depends on the nature of how a smart tv works: anything streaming compatible is ok, while higher formats (ie Blue Ray disks) need to go straight to the receiver or the Arvus...
I think your system only supports ARC and not eARC (which does support higher bandwidth audio).
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof ➡️
I think your system only supports ARC and not eARC (which does support higher bandwidth audio).
It's also what I think
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof ➡️
Ops, my bad... just checked my system and the limit is within the Yamaha receiver, was 100% convinced of running a full eARC chain.
Thank you
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks, I sent an email in the past but I didn't receive any answer. Did you buy directly from them ?
Yep, bought direct from Arvus. Took a few months to get it.
Old 2nd December 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Did anyone reach out to dolby themselves for a solution? They are pretty cool. I mean you did spend a sizable amount of money on a dolby atmos system... Pretty sure they could point you in the right direction.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefSupreme ➡️
Did anyone reach out to dolby themselves for a solution? They are pretty cool. I mean you did spend a sizable amount of money on a dolby atmos system... Pretty sure they could point you in the right direction.
I did correspond with a couple people at Dolby via email before purchasing the Arvus. Dolby themselves do not have a bespoke solution for this, but they were able to confirm that they had hands on the Arvus box and that it was a legit product that worked as advertised.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I did correspond with a couple people at Dolby via email before purchasing the Arvus. Dolby themselves do not have a bespoke solution for this, but they were able to confirm that they had hands on the Arvus box and that it was a legit product that worked as advertised.
Nice
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefSupreme ➡️
That's not entirely correct Dolby have the Dolby Reference Player they just refuse to generally release it.
Old 9th December 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukehowardmusic ➡️
I had to artificially limit the channel count on my interface (as seen by CoreAudio) to get around this,
I’m having the same problem. How did you limit the outputs seen by core audio? I’d like to try this.

Thanks. Mikis.
Old 24th December 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhg ➡️
I have been lobbying various companies for this since the Dolby DP568/80 was no more (if just even a way to do QC). Beyond the cost of licensing, HDMI is very difficult with all the varietals and copy protection, EDID requirements, . Getting HDMI boards at all right now is also very difficult.
Is it possible to get an HDMI to SDI converter and use a Dolby DP568?

I can't find any 580 units with HDMI in and the 564 I have cuts out sometimes.
Old 24th December 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikis ➡️
I’m having the same problem. How did you limit the outputs seen by core audio? I’d like to try this.

Thanks. Mikis.
It depends on what interface you have. In my Apollo, for example, I go into the hardware setup in the Console app where I can arrange the hardware inputs and outputs as I see fit, and save it as a setup.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Does the firmware allow you to turn off that green light, and when you are using EARC, does that control the volume of the Dante outputs?

Trying to find a decent solution for a mixed system of Genelec and Kali speakers but am curious why this over something like the SDP55 that also has dirac live bass control.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenswall ➡️
Does the firmware allow you to turn off that green light, and when you are using EARC, does that control the volume of the Dante outputs?

Trying to find a decent solution for a mixed system of Genelec and Kali speakers but am curious why this over something like the SDP55 that also has dirac live bass control.
I can't answer your question about the green light.

But comparing to the SDP55? That's exactly the kind of unit the Arvus is trying to avoid. If you're trying to get some benefit from Dirac this is probably not what you need. Hard to know though.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenswall ➡️
Is it possible to get an HDMI to SDI converter and use a Dolby DP568?

I can't find any 580 units with HDMI in and the 564 I have cuts out sometimes.
No because almost every HDMI source has HDCP copy protection which SDI does not support. Only sources which don't have protection, which is largely cameras and capture devices, work with HDMI to SDI converters.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou ➡️
I can't answer your question about the green light.

But comparing to the SDP55? That's exactly the kind of unit the Arvus is trying to avoid. If you're trying to get some benefit from Dirac this is probably not what you need. Hard to know though.
If you are doing dual duty as a mix and QA room then if you are doing room correction then you want it while you are mixing thus it can't be built in to an AVR as then it only gets applied when playing back encoded content for QA.

If you already have say Genelec SAM or a Trinnov DMON or Grace m908 or any DAD interface with an SPQ card that is what will be being used for room correction. That is the market the Arvus is aimed at.

Also the SDP-55 is really an Arcam AV40 with knobs on and it a buggy mess, as is its replacement the SDP-58. The higher end JBL units are actually rebadged Trinnov Altitude units those are made of pure expense.

A slightly cheaper option for the poster with the mixed system would be a Storm Audio Core 16.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhifikit ➡️
It depends on what interface you have. In my Apollo, for example, I go into the hardware setup in the Console app where I can arrange the hardware inputs and outputs as I see fit, and save it as a setup.
Thanks. I did manage to get it to work by using loopback. That way the Mac only sees 12 outputs and works steady. Great to hear so much referenced music in atmos. My next challenge is to get bass management without using daps. I want the option to work in logic and Davinchi resolve without using the Dolby production suite.
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikis ➡️
Thanks. I did manage to get it to work by using loopback. That way the Mac only sees 12 outputs and works steady. Great to hear so much referenced music in atmos. My next challenge is to get bass management without using daps. I want the option to work in logic and Davinchi resolve without using the Dolby production suite.
Yep - speaker correction and bass management without DAMS is key. If you’re into Genelec, their system is great and has a built in volume control.
Here for the gear
Has anyone tried the BasX MC1?

Has anyone tried this decoder?

BasX MC1 13.2 Channel Dolby Atmos® & DTS: X™ Cinema Processor?

I came across it just now. I was chasing a reasonable idea of a good decoder/processor.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBII ➡️
Has anyone tried this decoder?

BasX MC1 13.2 Channel Dolby Atmos® & DTS: X™ Cinema Processor?

I came across it just now. I was chasing a reasonable idea of a good decoder/processor.
As it's Emotiva it's probably the same inside as the Tonewinner unit.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhifikit ➡️
Yep - speaker correction and bass management without DAMS is key. If you’re into Genelec, their system is great and has a built in volume control.
I have already bought the speakers. I have Adam’s new A range. 3x A77v for LCR. 8x A7v’s for surround and atmos duty’s. 2x 12” subs. I bought the focusrite r16 line and r1 controller 6 months ago. Still waiting for delivery and they say it will still be 3 months more! The Antelope galaxy 32 looks like it has the perfect software for me but the hardware is less than ideal for me. I don’t need so many ins and outs and do need mic pres and talkback. If only focusrite would add bass management to their console software and deliver gear on time it would be perfect!
📝 Reply