Quantcast
Multi-reel project management - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Multi-reel project management
Old 15th January 2019
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Multi-reel project management

Apologies if this topic is redundant, I imagine it may have been discussed before. But I guess I'm feeling a little lazy about doing a deep search.

I've been thinking about the best way to handle multi-reel projects from the standpoint of session management -- particularly with respect to managing media (eg SFX) that may need to be accessed among different reels.

If each reel has its own PT session -- which would have the appeal, to me, of risk mitigation and a certain compartmentalized tidiness -- then whatever SFX are imported into that session only live there and are not automatically available to the others.

If instead all the reels are lined up in one session, then of course everything is accessible, and navigation across the whole project is easier....the potential downside being more processing load having everything up on the timeline at once, and the risk that if something catastrophic happens to the session, every reel is vulnerable.

So what's your preferred approach? An all-in "super session," or separate sessions for each reel? If it's the latter, what are your methods for getting at clips to use in one reel that you first imported into another reel's session? If it's the former, come mix time are you comfortable having all your automation for all reels living in just one place? (Presuming, of course, obsessive media and session backups/safeties along the way.)

ahem....hey, Avid: how 'bout some bins....cough....
Old 15th January 2019
Deleted e479b20
normally super-session for editing. reels for mixing for the reasons you found yourself.

DX-editors usually prefer reels as they don't have to move stuff around that much but it's quite a PITA to re-balance reels if they change.

some mix in super-sessions as well but quite often the other reels are still worked on during the mix so it's much easier to move things around if the theatre works in reels even when the editors work in super-sessions.

(obviously media is kept in sync across all rigs)
Old 15th January 2019
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Hi
Super sessions for me, just keep constant updated backups of the session file and the audio files themselves.

To facilitate that, every FX file (for example) that I import from my library into the session is Copied into the BGFXFOL folder for that particular project. Obviously that creates a fair amount of redundancy but it also means that, should the session or FX drive ever crash, I can recreate it from the session backup and the audio files from my FX library.
Same with Production DX, ADR, Foley and MX
It also makes it super easy to make a master backup with the files already divided into DX/MX/Dub, BGFXFOL, and Stem/Printmaster Record files, each group on a separate drive.

Hardware-wise, I have an HDX2 running on a 12-core Westmere (2013 I think?) and it's pretty rock solid even with large 7-reel sessions.

Your mileage may vary
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
The benefits of super sessions outweigh the cons. Super sessions for me as well. And good daily archival and redundant backup solutions and habits are good to cultivate regardless of what kinds of sessions you run.
Old 17th January 2019
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Yeah, all of the above is what I've ended up doing. DX gets a session per reel and then BGs/SFX are super sessions. It would have been a real headache trying to manage clips across sessions for the SFX work. Thanks all for the input.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…