The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Very interesting software
Old 7th January 2016
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
demariai's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Very interesting software

What do you guys think about this? treating sound effects like particles to create backgrounds

Sound Particles - Home
Old 8th January 2016
  #2
Lives for gear
 
PatrickFaith's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by demariai ➑️
What do you guys think about this? treating sound effects like particles to create backgrounds

Sound Particles - Home
Thanks for the post, I have been having a hard time doing crowds with water (i.e. busy street with puddles, people playing in a pool, complex splashes when there is a visual cloose up ). I will be for sure testing this out.
Old 8th January 2016
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Looks very promising for certain applications, but I was unable to discover from the demo how to make particle groups repeat; for example, if I used their example of loading in several gunshot sounds to put the mic in the middle of a gun battle, all the shots fired once, all at the same time, which wasn't very useful. What am I missing?
Old 8th January 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
 
ggegan's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
One of my side businesses is CGI modelling and animation, so the concepts this app makes use of are very familliar to me. In fact Cinema 4D's sound module uses very similar algorithms and techniques. I haven't used this particular app yet, but if it is well implemented it will be brilliant for sound design. I definitely need to demo it.
Old 8th January 2016 | Show parent
  #5
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnykeyes ➑️
Looks very promising for certain applications, but I was unable to discover from the demo how to make particle groups repeat; for example, if I used their example of loading in several gunshot sounds to put the mic in the middle of a gun battle, all the shots fired once, all at the same time, which wasn't very useful. What am I missing?
By default, all particles start playing at the same time. To change this, simply add a random delay audio modifiers. For instance, using a random delay modifier with 10 seconds means that each particle will start at a random value from 0 to 10 seconds.

A second approach is to use a particle emitter instead of a particle group, which can create particles at a constant rate. For instance, you can create a particle emitter with a rate of 10 particles per second, during 20 seconds (which will fire 200 sounds). Emitters create particles at a constant rate. If you want a more jitter type of behaviour, simply add a delay modifier with 1 s, which will add random delays (up to 1 seconds) and create a less constant rate.

Hope this helps...
Old 8th January 2016
  #6
Lives for gear
 
NReichman's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Wow! I could have used this last year. Sounds great, looks great. Can't wait to demo it...
Old 8th January 2016 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
PatrickFaith's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno Fonseca ➑️
By default, all particles start playing at the same time. To change this, simply add a random delay audio modifiers. For instance, using a random delay modifier with 10 seconds means that each particle will start at a random value from 0 to 10 seconds.

A second approach is to use a particle emitter instead of a particle group, which can create particles at a constant rate. For instance, you can create a particle emitter with a rate of 10 particles per second, during 20 seconds (which will fire 200 sounds). Emitters create particles at a constant rate. If you want a more jitter type of behaviour, simply add a delay modifier with 1 s, which will add random delays (up to 1 seconds) and create a less constant rate.

Hope this helps...
I really like your training video's, easy to follow - I just started playing with this, it works great. I'm bringing in shot masks(.mov) from vfx trying to align a character/monster_made_of_water feet with the particles - wondering if there was a easy way to do this. In maya and nuke I can have particles emmited from a masked area, would be perfect if a video would emmit particles (i.e. emmitter would randomly emit from a video where the lumanance was above some value). This way i could have vfx do what they do good, and I could just bring in thier results with and quickly create a mask for where I wanted the particles to be emmited from.

On the spherical view option on the video screen of SoundParticles I noticed it does overlay the video with the particles, but the video is just a small rectangle - is there a way for the video to scale a bit? I could get from vfx a spherical map of the shot btw, but normally I just get the footage of the shot. It's also real easy for me to get from vfx a a video of shadow maps from characters and objects.
Old 8th January 2016 | Show parent
  #8
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickFaith ➑️
On the spherical view option on the video screen of SoundParticles I noticed it does overlay the video with the particles, but the video is just a small rectangle - is there a way for the video to scale a bit?
Originally, the idea was to represent the screen of a movie, with an angle around 60ΒΊ, but the latest update allows you to define the coverage angle of the video, which can now use the entire 360ΒΊ angle around you.
This was a request from Virtual Reality guys, that wanted the same feature but for their 360ΒΊ videos, allowing them to place sound on top of a 360ΒΊ image and even use keyframe animation to move that sounds around, perfectly in sync with the image.

I must confess I liked your idea of having particles generated based on a VFX mask. It's going to my TODO list. Thanks.

Nuno
Old 9th January 2016
  #9
Gear Nut
 
🎧 15 years
I checked all tutorials this morning and this software seems very interesting. I like the fact that you can assign different mic to different particle groups to output several stems at once. I will definitely try the demo when I have spare time. I only wish the demo could output 5.0 files.

Some people are really clever. Very well done Nuno!
Old 9th January 2016
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
demariai's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Nuno, Can you tell us about the render time for complex scenes? Your software looks promising!
Old 9th January 2016 | Show parent
  #11
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by demariai ➑️
Nuno, Can you tell us about the render time for complex scenes? Your software looks promising!
The render time is usually linear, which means that a scene with 10000 will take around 10x times longer to render than a 1000 scene.

The render time is also linear regarding the number of output channels, and the duration of each particle. For instance particles with 20s will take 10x longer than 2s particles.

A small scene, with <100 particles and 10 second sounds, will probably take 10 seconds to render.

Also, you don't need to render the entire scene to start listening to it. As soon you render the first slots, you can start listen or even abort it.
Old 9th January 2016
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
demariai's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
cool, thanks!
Old 11th January 2016
  #13
Deleted 2d58179
Guest
We just picked this up last week. doppler sounds amazing. I'll be doing a podcast and screencast of it in the near future, since the instructional videos don't really show how the thing actually sounds.
Old 12th January 2016
  #14
Lives for gear
 
nzl62's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
had a very quick play but the lints set buy the demo don't seem to allow many of the presets to operate
Old 13th January 2016 | Show parent
  #15
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzl62 ➑️
had a very quick play but the lints set buy the demo don't seem to allow many of the presets to operate
I see your point... I may increase the 10 particle limit to a slightly higher value and change same templates to that limit...
Old 13th January 2016 | Show parent
  #16
Deleted e479b20
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno Fonseca ➑️
I see your point... I may increase the 10 particle limit to a slightly higher value and change same templates to that limit...
I was also going to ask about this. I manually set the demos to 10 particles but the result is sometimes weird and it's hard for me to evaluate what can be done with the program.
Also the demo crashes a lot on my end. Mainly after adjusting parameters and re-rendering.

What would also be great is some kind of streaming interconnection to ProTools so you can monitor a multichannel-setup through ProTools while it's open at the same time.
Rewire comes to mind.
Simply for practical reasons.

Last edited by Deleted e479b20; 13th January 2016 at 12:57 PM..
Old 14th January 2016 | Show parent
  #17
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e479b20 ➑️
I was also going to ask about this. I manually set the demos to 10 particles but the result is sometimes weird and it's hard for me to evaluate what can be done with the program.
The demo version of Sound Particles now supports 50 particles, instead of 10...
Enjoy!
Old 17th January 2016
  #18
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
This looks awesome! Gonna demo it on my old Macbook, hope it runs there. Switched to Windows some time back, so I hope you manage to get a PC version out too!
Old 17th January 2016 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Andrew Mottl's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chapman ➑️
This looks awesome! Gonna demo it on my old Macbook, hope it runs there. Switched to Windows some time back, so I hope you manage to get a PC version out too!
+1(000)
Old 19th January 2016
  #20
Lives for gear
 
ggegan's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I've been playing with this app a bit. Still trying to get a handle on how to use it, but the doppler engine alone is worth the money. As an experiment I loaded audio of an electric countertop mixer into the stock doppler template and the result was an awesome steampunk space vehicle.

Last edited by ggegan; 19th January 2016 at 08:50 PM..
Old 19th January 2016
  #21
Lives for gear
 
ggegan's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Here's an LCR wav file if it.
Attached Files

CountertopMixerVehicle.wav (4.61 MB, 2375 views)

Old 20th January 2016
  #22
Gear Nut
 
🎧 15 years
Nice space mixer Gary.

I bought the software a week ago and I've been testing the doppler with simple drones. I must admit it is really good.

I agree with Apple-q. A 5.1 rewire solution for Pro-Tools would be amazing.
This would make the doppler even better.

I could be doing something wrong but I could not use "Part" with The Avid core manager to use my avid interface. So I can only monitor in stereo thru the optical digital mac output.

I hope Nuno will implement the rewire option eventually.
Old 20th January 2016 | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 
ggegan's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGolfer ➑️
Nice space mixer Gary.

I bought the software a week ago and I've been testing the doppler with simple drones. I must admit it is really good.

I agree with Apple-q. A 5.1 rewire solution for Pro-Tools would be amazing.
This would make the doppler even better.

I could be doing something wrong but I could not use "Part" with The Avid core manager to use my avid interface. So I can only monitor in stereo thru the optical digital mac output.

I hope Nuno will implement the rewire option eventually.
I had the same problem so I contacted Nuno and he's working on it as we speak. He suggested I try the beta version and it works with the HD Native engine, so I'm getting 5.1 now through my Omni, although the beta seems to be a bit prone to crashing. As soon as he fixes the issue he'll update the latest version.
Old 20th January 2016
  #24
Gear Nut
 
🎧 15 years
That 's great news.

Nuno seems to backup his software with great support. I sent him a few emails and always had fast replies. He's got the recipe for success!

Thank you Gary

and thank you Demariai for sharing the link.
Old 21st January 2016
  #25
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Yes, there is a problem between Apple sandbox (required for Mac App Store) and Avid drivers. Currently Apple and Avid are working on that issue, since that affects other programs as well.

But don't worry - all Sound Particles users experiencing that problem have now access to a special No-sandbox version of the software, to be able to fully explore it with your Avid hardware (believe me, a lot of users comment their first experiences with sound particles in 5.1).
Old 22nd January 2016
  #26
Lives for gear
 
ggegan's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I just downloaded the non-Sandbox version from Nuno and it plays through my HD Native software properly, so I can monitor 5.1 now.

The more I play with this app, the more I love it. Now that I'm starting to better understand the virtual physics it utilizes, I can anticipate how different settings will sound, but there's also a degree of randomness that you can dial in if you want to that can make it sound very organic or create some pretty wild dynamics. It's excellent for creating movement in wind tracks so that they feel enveloping and swirl all around you.

I'm stoked!

Last edited by ggegan; 22nd January 2016 at 05:38 PM..
Old 22nd January 2016
  #27
Lives for gear
 
nzl62's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Im playing with it a little but very short on time. I wonder if you have any tutorial vids that you can post Nuno with sound and process going from A to B?
Old 22nd January 2016 | Show parent
  #28
Deleted 2d58179
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzl62 ➑️
Im playing with it a little but very short on time. I wonder if you have any tutorial vids that you can post Nuno with sound and process going from A to B?
I'll have one up in the next couple of days.
Old 22nd January 2016 | Show parent
  #29
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzl62 ➑️
Im playing with it a little but very short on time. I wonder if you have any tutorial vids that you can post Nuno with sound and process going from A to B?
Currently there are several video tutorials available on the site (although slightly old - 6 months old - that were created essentially to Hollywood guys using the software).

Nevertheless, I will start creating new tutorials next week, with many tutorials.
Old 23rd January 2016
  #30
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Hey, Nuno!
This thing ROCKS! I love it!
Pleeeease release it for Windows!
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 15929 views: 1592430
Avatar for Ragan
Ragan 11th January 2019
replies: 144 views: 41720
Avatar for motomotomoto
motomotomoto 9th January 2022
replies: 37 views: 8466
Avatar for GBP
GBP 20th April 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump