Quantcast
Shure PG48 or SM57 for a podcast mic - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shure PG48 or SM57 for a podcast mic
Old 30th August 2021
Shure PG48 or SM57 for a podcast mic

I have an old Shure PG48, visibly used but it seems to work fine (I say "seems" because I never actually had it new, so I don't know if the sound was better then). I need to use it for vocal recording, for a podcast situation. I'm not too thrilled about the kind of sound I get from it for my voice, but I am happy that my screaming neighbours won't feature on the podcast when I use it! Thing is, somewhere I read you can get the Shure SM57 to somewhat resemble the SM7B with EQ and Compression and such (the latter being the dream mic for my podcast!). So I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to sell the PG48 one and invest a bit more to get a new SM57. The PG48 goes for 109€ wherever I can get it on stock, as it's discontinued. The SM57 is in fact usually cheaper, at 95€. So I'm thinking I might be able to get around 60-70€ out of the PG48, as it's in good condition overall; and I would only have to invest 25-35€ more for the SM57. But I'm wondering if the change is sensible, being that what I want to record is voice. I know the PG48 is a vocal mic, and the SM57 is more of a studio, instrument mic. The fact that people say you can sort of get a sound like the SM7B with the SM57 is what makes me think it might work well as a voice mic, too. But what do you think?
Old 30th August 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbr ➡️
what makes me think it might work well as a voice mic, too. But what do you think?
Either would work - you put a Good Windscreen on the SM57 and practically have a SM7b. The PG48 has a windscreen built in.
Old 30th August 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate ➡️
Either would work - you put a Good Windscreen on the SM57 and practically have a SM7b. The PG48 has a windscreen built in.
Thanks for your response, Papanate! So in your opinion I probably should just use the PG48 and save the extra 25-35€, right?
But it does seem like you agree that the SM57 can be made into an SM7B of sorts, right? Probably not the PG48.
I'm currently testing out the PG48 once again, putting it through OBS to try and get a better audio through filters to avoid having to do more work in post. I like it more than last time, I must say. I've popped a windscreen on it. I think more to make it feel like a more pro radio/podcast mic than anything! But it does also allow me to "kiss" the mic as I speak, which gives it a bit more of that proximity effect that, on this mic, gives my voice a bit more body, sort of what I get with my condenser mics at a normal distance.
Old 3rd September 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbr ➡️
Thanks for your response, Papanate! So in your opinion I probably should just use the PG48 and save the extra 25-35€, right?
That's right.

Quote:
But it does seem like you agree that the SM57 can be made into an SM7B of sorts, right?
Right Again.

Quote:
I've popped a windscreen on it. I think more to make it feel like a more pro radio/podcast mic than anything!
It already has a Windscreen/popfilter built in - a secondary windscreen seems like it would dull the sound?

Quote:
But it does also allow me to "kiss" the mic as I speak, which gives it a bit more of that proximity effect that, on this mic, gives my voice a bit more body, sort of what I get with my condenser mics at a normal distance.
How much high end is getting through?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have a 57. When I listen to comparisons to an SM7b, I don’t hear much difference. The 57 does need a pop filter; I use Steadman XL.

One thing the SM7b might have is better EMI shielding. If you are near a monitor or other gear (within 4’ depending on how quiet your room is), this can be a factor.
📝 Reply