The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What do you think about Rode Procaster
Old 11th May 2021
Lives for gear

What do you think about Rode Procaster

What do you think about Rode Procaster in this Bret Weinstein video? How do you think it sounds?

Old 13th May 2021
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfghdhr ➡️
What do you think about Rode Procaster in this Bret Weinstein video? How do you think it sounds?

I tried this mic. I didn't find it terribly inspiring and it was quite prone to plosives. More so than the average dynamic mic.

The cheaper Rode Podmic did much better, which I guess isn't a surprise given that the Podmic is a much later product release.
Old 17th May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
With all due respect, Bret Weinstein is not flattered by this mic!
However, there are other videos, this one claiming the Presonus PD-70 has identical sonics as a Rode Procaster. That voice it flatters quite a bit (my internal opinion):

Source: Lonnie West from Sweetwater review of Presonus PD-70

-edit unrelated ramble-

Last edited by JoeyM; 17th May 2021 at 11:14 PM..
Old 17th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM ➡️
With all due respect, Bret Weinstein is not flattered by this mic!
However, there are other videos, this one claiming the Presonus PD-70 has identical sonics as a Rode Procaster. That voice it flatters quite a bit (my internal opinion):

Source: Lonnie West from Sweetwater review of Presonus PD-70

-edit unrelated ramble-
Interesting take.
Old 18th May 2021
Gear Addict

it's just a cheap sounding entry level prosumer unit, albeit convenient
Old 18th May 2021
Lives for gear

My guess is, he will sound good on almost anything.
Old 18th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeraz ➡️
it's just a cheap sounding entry level prosumer unit, albeit convenient
Those SM7s sound stuffy and never a decent tone. Robin from Howard Stern always sounded like stuffy sinuses (my thoughts). The only time I ever thought an SM7 sounded good was Dana Carvey on one of the late night shows lately, probably Steven Colbert. But even nice sounding it still was ear fatiguing. I just don't like SM7 for vocals at all, and no matter if the whole world likes Michael Jackson singing through an SM7, I really thought about it and think other mics would have sounded better. The kind of thing you praise Motown even if you're never thinking about the drumset...

But, maybe I'm more an RE-20 guy. Just a little more exciting and less forced sounding top end and I'm not sure if the Presonus/Rode's are treble-heavy or not. Note to self to try the slightly dark and freaking awesome freeware VST (LA2A-reminiscent) SLAX.

Too tired now, 'g night!
Old 18th May 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM ➡️
Those SM7s sound stuffy and never a decent tone. Robin from Howard Stern always sounded like stuffy sinuses (my thoughts). The only time I ever thought an SM7 sounded good was Dana Carvey on one of the late night shows lately, probably Steven Colbert. But even nice sounding it still was ear fatiguing. I just don't like SM7 for vocals at all, and no matter if the whole world likes Michael Jackson singing through an SM7, I really thought about it and think other mics would have sounded better. The kind of thing you praise Motown even if you're never thinking about the drumset...

But, maybe I'm more an RE-20 guy. Just a little more exciting and less forced sounding top end and I'm not sure if the Presonus/Rode's are treble-heavy or not. Note to self to try the slightly dark and freaking awesome freeware VST (LA2A-reminiscent) SLAX.

Too tired now, 'g night!
SM7 are ok, but RE20 is the broadcast standard. Also a great mic for high tenor/soprano vocals. I love it on floor tom and under the snare.
Old 2nd June 2021
Lives for gear

Pierre Kory's voice really needs de-essing on this mic though:

Old 3rd June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Pierre Kory's voice really needs de-essing on this mic though:

If it could be a hair de-harshed it still has the sunny optimism (best words I could think of ) an RE-20 gives you.

Back to this mic, that harsh spot sure seems to beg a one band dynamic equalizer even in the hardware of the mic because it is supposed to be for podcasting which isn't something usually you're broadcasting onstage through The Who's PA system anyway.

My opinion doesn't even mean that much to me, so don't think I'm pontificating anything, but that mic sure looks like one step in the developmental process was omitted.

Oh yeah dfghdhr ➡️: do yo have a suggestion what sort of de esser to start with for this? I suppose I'll have to open that video in Reaper and see for myself...

-update- and at over 1 GB I have to pass because mobile data

Last edited by JoeyM; 3rd June 2021 at 02:37 AM..
Old 19th September 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm not understanding the hate for the Procaster. Maybe yours is broken, but mine is a super smooth, high quality dynamic that's right in the same camp as the RE20 and Sm7B. In fact, I find mine to be clearer and less "pinched" sounding than my SM7B. I use my Procaster all the time for recording singing vocals. Really nice sounding mic, IMO. Almost as detailed and open sounding as as a condenser, and no harshness at all on the top end.

The Procaster is a tremendous value at 200 bucks.
Old 21st September 2021
Here for the gear

Quote:

I love it. I prefer the tone to the shure sm7b.

It is, in my experience, susceptible to interference.
But that could be an issue specific to my environment.
The guy who runs the geeky techy nerdy youtube channel speaks highly of it, and uses it with a DBX 286s.

It's worth a look at his comparison.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccbgX7rClNA
Old 12th October 2021
Here for the gear

I recently purchased a Procaster and about a week later I bought an SM7B to compare. My use is spoken word. I personally found the SM7B to sound a bit more muffled and not as clear as the procaster in comparison. I feel like the Procaster would be the best choice for spoken word where you're not EQ'ing as much, but the SM7B is a more diverse mic, more suited to studio use
Old 20th January 2022
Lives for gear

They changed their microphones, I think the previous ones were better.

Old 27th January 2022
Deleted d6f81f2
My main micriphone criteria is aesthetics. What is the coolest looking cheap or midpriced mic? I want to feel like I'm taking into something special. ITB EQ and outboard gate/exciter/comp can overcome a lot of uninspiring cheap mic coloration.
📝 Reply