The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why no bluetooth lavalier for smartphones?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Why no bluetooth lavalier for smartphones?

Can anyone explain to me why there are no bluetooth lavalier/clip on mics for smartphones? I see cameracrews for newspapers and social media shooting stuff and doing interviews with iPhones and they’re al connected with clumsy cables. I got a question from such a crew if there any bluetooth clips mics and I couldn’t find any.

It’s such a hole in the market that I can only presume that there is a technical barrier, maybe the audio and video won’t sync?

A different but related issue is that there are audio interfaces for iPhones, but none of them are able to connect to apps for realtime communication purposes, such as apps that are used by radio stations instead of the costly dedicated IP codecs (where each brand has their proprietary protocol) they use for interviews on location. I guess Apple made it impossible because you could record phone calls which might cause a legal hassle.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctms777 ➡️
Can anyone explain to me why there are no bluetooth lavalier/clip on mics for smartphones? I see cameracrews for newspapers and social media shooting stuff and doing interviews with iPhones and they’re al connected with clumsy cables. I got a question from such a crew if there any bluetooth clips mics and I couldn’t find any.

It’s such a hole in the market that I can only presume that there is a technical barrier, maybe the audio and video won’t sync?

A different but related issue is that there are audio interfaces for iPhones, but none of them are able to connect to apps for realtime communication purposes, such as apps that are used by radio stations instead of the costly dedicated IP codecs (where each brand has their proprietary protocol) they use for interviews on location. I guess Apple made it impossible because you could record phone calls which might cause a legal hassle.
There are a bunch. Search Amazon
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I never looked at Amazon for these things! All of them are cheap and brands I never heard of, then again, filming with an iPhone instead of a real camera is being cheap as well.

The better known brands like Sennheiser, Shure, Rode or even IKMultimedia seem to avoid Bluetooth like the plague and offer either wired or transmitter/receiver units. I suspect that bluetooth is not reliable enough for them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bluetooth probably isn’t a big enough money maker for them. To develop, market and sell a product a small % of their client base wants may not be worth it. If those wireless Bluetooth earbuds and mic are reliable I don’t see why a lavalier wouldn’t be.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…