Old 12th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lallymonster ➑️
The End
Lally,
Without necessarily disclosing numbers (unless you want to), could you perhaps give an update post-build regarding the financial side of things related to this project?

- how close were you to your original budget?

- what were the biggest unexpected expenses?

- if you had to do it all over again, what would you do differently?

- any plans ahead, or are you in cost recovery mode now?

Such an inspiring thread, one of my fav's ever.
Old 13th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah. I agree with Bambam. Come on Lally. Give us an update please. BTW - Your sound clips sound KILLER!!!

I also sent you a PM about that idea I had...
Old 15th September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavetothegrind ➑️
fantastic job, great read and thank you!

When we win that lotto we will be over to record with you!!!!!

I'm sending you a stocking full of scratch off tickets for Christmas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzl62 ➑️
Man that looks fabulous. Well done
Thank you! It's still pretty crazy. Every time I walk in to the studio, I think, "Holy crap, how do we build this!? Is this real life??"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamboom ➑️
Lally,
Without necessarily disclosing numbers (unless you want to), could you perhaps give an update post-build regarding the financial side of things related to this project?

Such an inspiring thread, one of my fav's ever.
I would be more than happy to disclose all of my top secret financial information!

Ha ha ha ha! This cracks me up. Originally, I had priced out about 20k in gear (mic pres, computer, mics, etc.) I had no clue what to even estimate for the actual build out. So much of this was just winged. In the end, I think we spent close to four or five times that. Build out, I couldn't even tell you. I want to say that grand total was somewhere around $150k.

I don't know that anything was unexpected. We did end up having to order twice as much Green Glue and maybe three times as many whisper clips as we had originally calculated, but ...we're from Kentucky. We not good at maths. So being wrong wasn't UNexpected.

I will say that during the build, we would come across a piece of gear we needed that we hadn't planned on, or more wood, and it just seemed like every day, there was another $3000 bill. It's the little things.

I think you (anyone) builds a studio, you anticipate the big stuff, like a mixer, or your preamps, or mics, etc. It's the little things like, twenty-50-foot xlr cables, or 100 cases of Mountain Dew. The little things add up fast!

There's so many things that I can nit pick, like the shape of the control room, or a light switch being upside down, but honestly, I appreciate the little quirks, and at the end of the day, it's a recording studio that I helped build having no clue what I was doing. When people come in, we literally have to shove them out the door because they don't want to leave. With that going on, it's hard to really complain about too much. I just feel extremely lucky to be able to do what were doing and I spend more time appreciating what we've built than regretting the small things.

On that note, I think that in building and running a recording studio, no matter what the size or budget, there's always going to be things you wish you had done differently, but it's those things that help teach you how to run your business better, or appreciate everything you DID get right. Sure, you want to avoid major pitfalls, but for a n00b like myself, it's been a tremendous learning experience, and even if there are some minor things I would do differently knowing what I know now, ultimately, they just don't matter.

Male prostitution? Selling plasma?

Going along with what I said previously, a recording studio is such a niche' business. My sister-in-law opened up a women's boutique here in town within weeks of us opening up the studio and it's really hard for us not to compare ourselves to them. But, everyone goes clothes shopping. They have a store front, reoccurring inventory purchases, etc. etc. and their target audience is so completely different than ours.

Learning how to make money once we build it is definitely a learning experience and something that we're struggling with, but finding our way, slowly but surely. How to advertise, where to advertise, how to treat clients from their first studio tour to the end of their project, all of these things are things we're learning that will come, eventually, with experience.

\I think (emphasis on "think") that in order to be profitable, it's important to find what your (mine or anyone's) studio's strong points are and emphasize that. For instance, what we lack in insane amounts of vintage, or crazy gear, we make up for in the customer experience. I believe that going to the studio should be something special and memorable, so I do everything within my power to give that to customers.

I feel if they have an incredible experience, then the cost becomes less of an issue. It's all about attaching a great value to that extra large dollar amount. And maybe, just maybe, if we provide that experience, they'll tell their friends.

That's where we are right. It will be interesting to see my take on things in another six months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx ➑️
Yeah. I agree with Bambam. Come on Lally. Give us an update please. BTW - Your sound clips sound KILLER!!!

I also sent you a PM about that idea I had...
Got it!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
And just for fun, here's some updated photos!

Last edited by Gearbot; 25th January 2016 at 04:45 PM..
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
One last shameless post. Here's a Christian band, Hearts of Saints who recorded an acoustic video in our live room. I thought it turned out great!

Old 26th September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Our new promo video. Just leaving it here.
Old 26th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hey Lally! Looking good brotha! I gotta say that your build is one of the best looking I have seen here.
Old 18th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:

GOOD NEWS! Area rugs have been ordered. We really think they'll tie the live room together, as long as some oriental man doesn't pee on them.
well, did they not?

And really, I don't think the Chinaman is the issue here dude…
Old 21st April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Old 26th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Just wanted to put up a couple additional pictures and let everyone know who followed this thread that due to some circumstances, we have to move locations. We recently closed on a new space and we get to do it all over again!

Here's to making great music and the new build.

Last edited by Gearbot; 25th January 2016 at 04:46 PM..
Old 26th May 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Wow that's a joke right?!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterPPK ➑️
Wow that's a joke right?!
Haha, I wish! We were leasing the space we're in now. Since it's semi-family owned, we thought, "what could go wrong?"

Things went wrong.

But we're turning this negative in to a positive! We own the new space ourselves, and we're going to kick things up a couple notches. Really looking forward to doing things even better.

And in the meantime, we're still functioning in the current studio while the new one is being built.

It's going to be great!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Oh wow Lally! That space you ended up building looks so awesome. Its a shame you can't take it with you!

I looked at doing things in a leased space before I started my build and decided to buy a building that made sense from a real estate standpoint first. What I did with it after that really didn't matter once I owned the building. Still have a long way to go on my build.

Do you have a list of things you will do differently this time around? Very cool that you can stay working where you are while the new place is being built.

Upward and onward my friend!
Old 27th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Oh wow Lally! That space you ended up building looks so awesome. Its a shame you can't take it with you!

I looked at doing things in a leased space before I started my build and decided to buy a building that made sense from a real estate standpoint first. What I did with it after that really didn't matter once I owned the building. Still have a long way to go on my build.

Do you have a list of things you will do differently this time around? Very cool that you can stay working where you are while the new place is being built.

Upward and onward my friend!
Definitely. No more sliding doors. I don't know what I was thinking.

No more ridiculously shaped rooms.

Smaller control room; about half the size.

Lots and lots of real acoustic fixtures.

Leave the building to the professionals.

Having never built a studio before, we were winging it. At least it felt like that. Things turned out great, all things considered, but there are always things you wish you could do differently. We're going to try and capitalize on this opportunity.

Still not done with yours??
Old 27th May 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Man, that's what I call a real setback. Nice to hear you have the spirit to start a new build! Why are the sliding doors a no-go?
Old 30th May 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Great thread, Lally! I've enjoyed reading it.

What is it about the sliding glass doors that you don't like?

Would love to hear any details you'd like to share about what you'll do different and why. Will definitely help us understand when we get to building our next space. Hope to start within the year.

Best,
Old 1st June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Definitely. No more sliding doors. I don't know what I was thinking.

No more ridiculously shaped rooms.

Smaller control room; about half the size.

Lots and lots of real acoustic fixtures.

Leave the building to the professionals.

Having never built a studio before, we were winging it. At least it felt like that. Things turned out great, all things considered, but there are always things you wish you could do differently. We're going to try and capitalize on this opportunity.

Still not done with yours??
Nah, I have too much stuff going on all the time to work any more than my usual 18 hours a day. Sleeping is for wussies! Still fighting many battles and now that electrical is roughed in and signed off on, as soon as the rest of my low voltage cable comes in and is tested out we should be able to start moving pretty fast.... as long as the money holds out anyway.

At least you won't have to spend as much on gear this time since you already own a bunch!

How much of your original build cost were you able to recoup after you got up and running?

Do you have any pics of your new space?

One last question....When did you switch over the the Focals?
Old 1st June 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Old 2nd June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Gorgeous build!!! Can I ask how many square feet you had to work with?
Old 4th June 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel77 ➑️
Great thread, Lally! I've enjoyed reading it.

What is it about the sliding glass doors that you don't like?

Would love to hear any details you'd like to share about what you'll do different and why. Will definitely help us understand when we get to building our next space. Hope to start within the year.

Best,
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterPPK ➑️
Man, that's what I call a real setback. Nice to hear you have the spirit to start a new build! Why are the sliding doors a no-go?
Well, I've seen sliding glass doors work in a recording studio. And ours worked well enough. Bleed from the live room and vocal booth in to the control room doesn't matter because we're listening through the monitors anyway. The big concern was keeping sound from the control room out of the live room and vocal booth, which the sliding doors did perfectly fine.

But there's still bleed. To get great, "soundproofing" sliding doors, you have to spend a fortune. That and the paint constantly chips off them. Believe it or not, they were all just cheap, $200 doors from Lowe's. They work, I just think there are better options.

Quote:
Nah, I have too much stuff going on all the time to work any more than my usual 18 hours a day. Sleeping is for wussies! Still fighting many battles and now that electrical is roughed in and signed off on, as soon as the rest of my low voltage cable comes in and is tested out we should be able to start moving pretty fast.... as long as the money holds out anyway.

At least you won't have to spend as much on gear this time since you already own a bunch!

How much of your original build cost were you able to recoup after you got up and running?

Do you have any pics of your new space?

One last question....When did you switch over the the Focals?
Keep up the good work! I don't post as much (obviously). It's a lot of work managing the studio on my own, but I've been keeping an eye on your place, quietly observing. Don't give up!

Once we officially close on the new place, I'm going to start a new thread. We've got something extra special planned that no one knows about yet and I can't wait to share. Soon!

I got the Focals a couple of months ago. They might just be the last monitors I ever buy. They're super clean, and honest monitors that make you work for a good mix. And they translate SO well from studio to car. I'm a huge fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drywsef ➑️
Gorgeous build!!! Can I ask how many square feet you had to work with?
Thank you!!! It's going to be sad to see it go. It's been a labor of love, but we're going to build prettier and better. We initially started with about 1200 square feet before soundproofing/room within rooms/etc. I think in the end, we were around 1000 square feet not counting our lounge area.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Had a couple days break from construction and was able to pick up this custom made Marshall JMP 50 watt head. We've got a vintage shop here in Kentucky that only deals with instruments and amps 20 years old or older and the owner tracked this one down for me. You don't even want to know how cheap I got it.

Has brand new tubes, and just sings. We're really looking forward to adding this in the studio.

...... needs a matching cabinet.....heh
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Lally I also own the Twin 6Be with the matching Solo6 sub. I agree with you 100%. Fantastic speakers. Made me actually park my Genelec 1031s!

Drop me a note sometime man. I have some more cool ideas for you! :-)
Old 12th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Sorry that all of that hard work has to be re-done. Excited that you can do it again even better, but I bet that was tough having to abandon the space!

Please post a link to your new thread once you start it. Glad to see that things are going well enough that you can afford to own your own space instead of rent, and that you've got ambitious plans!
πŸ“ Reply