Quantcast
King Sound Studio UNDER CONSTRUCTION Paducah, Kentucky - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
King Sound Studio UNDER CONSTRUCTION Paducah, Kentucky
Old 27th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Very cool! Looks like also picked up a 4-710d! Nice choice!
Old 28th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx ➑️
Me too Poopy...

BTW - You win for having the coolest, albeit strangest screen name! Fuggin awesome!

Really excited to see how the desk looks in the room.

Hey Lally, did you ever post your floor plan?
I did, but one late night, I decided to delete my thread and started deleting all of the pictures and I removed the posted picture. I have looked everywhere, including old emails between our contractor and myself and can't find the plans ANYWHERE.

Besides, we live in Kentucky. We don't follow blueprints. We just tie a bunch of sticks together and call it a day.

Quote:
Very cool! Looks like also picked up a 4-710d! Nice choice!
I want another!!! It's such an awesome mic pre.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Here's some pictures of our desk install. I hadn't seen the desk until today. We're extremely pleased with the build quality and the guys who came to deliver it and install it today were great.

It's big. It's bigger than big. It's borderline ridiculous.

It dwarfs our two 24" monitors.

Originally, the upper racks were supposed to be attached, but last minute, I had the installers put some rubber feet on the bottom of the racks so they're adjustable. Eventually, we'll get a pair of Barefoot monitors to sit in their place.

Last edited by Gearbot; 25th January 2016 at 04:37 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This is the only place on earth where I, as a hetero sexual male, am comfortable telling another male..."NICE RACK!"
Old 28th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Great looking space. Enjoying the pics.
Old 30th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Me too Poopy...

BTW - You win for having the coolest, albeit strangest screen name! Fuggin awesome!

Really excited to see how the desk looks in the room.

Hey Lally, did you ever post your floor plan?
Hahaha It keeps me incognito. For those stupid questions we all have but don't want others knowing we asked them. Except now Lally knows who I am. So, so much for that.
Old 1st May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Lally is a stud! LOL...I have heard rumors that he also stunt doubles for Tom Cruise, and is the real James Bond...or was it Austin Powers?

Either way, he won't tell me who you are but if I can get Holata Fagina to spend some "quality" time on him I think I can get it out of him....She has ways of making people talk!

Rock on Poopy!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Lally is a stud! LOL...I have heard rumors that he also stunt doubles for Tom Cruise, and is the real James Bond...or was it Austin Powers?

Either way, he won't tell me who you are but if I can get Holata Fagina to spend some "quality" time on him I think I can get it out of him....She has ways of making people talk!

Rock on Poopy!
My wife just killed Holata with a roundhouse kick to the fagina.
All of the above is true though!

HEY, we got our first coat of stain on our front wood trim. A coat or two more, then some clear coat and we can trim it out and hang our 50" Sammy up there.

Contractor has been away doing lovey type crap with his wife. I guess it was their anniversary or some craapppp, so my wife and I have been working on everything ourselves. It'll be good to get him back in here.

On a semi-related topic, if you haven't seen Poopy's set up, it's by far the raddest basement studio on both sides of the Mississippi.
Attached Thumbnails
King Sound Studio UNDER CONSTRUCTION Paducah, Kentucky-459143_509400399121361_210849084_o.jpg  

🎧 15 years
I see that you have the invisible man working with you. Those sneakers always give him away.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton ➑️
I see that you have the invisible man working with you. Those sneakers always give him away.
His name is "Chuck." At least that's what everyone calls him.
Old 2nd May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
"Chuck"......as in "Chuck Norris"?????? WOW Lally! I didn't know you were a stunt double for Chuck Norris too! I bow humbly in your presence!

Ya know as far as the anniversary and lovely things like that go....Tis a small price to pay for a happy wife.....Happy wife = Happy Life..

I bought my wife a building!
Old 2nd May 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Working on our wallplates today. I think they'll turn out great!

Sent from my SCH-I605

Last edited by Gearbot; 25th January 2016 at 04:38 PM..
Old 2nd May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Very cool using wood like that for wall plates. Make sure if you are not pop riveting the jacks in that you use a bit longer than normal screws!
Old 2nd May 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Man, I couldn't believe our passthrus didn't come with mounting screws. We're going to run to Lowe's and find some that work. Thank you for the pro tip with the longer screws. We literally have no idea what we're doing.

Sent from my SCH-I605
Old 4th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The panels really look fantastic. How are you going to label them?
Old 8th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The panels really look fantastic. How are you going to label them?
You know, I don't even think we will. Which input goes where will be my little secret!

Here's just a couple pictures. Believe it or not, our vocal booth (which is really orange at the moment) and our control room will be finished by Thursday. At least it's supposed to be since our first client is coming in this Friday.

Walls are looking great though!

Last edited by Gearbot; 25th January 2016 at 04:39 PM..
Old 11th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So what do you have behind the wood slats? I must have missed this part of the build. They also look killer!!!

I may update my thread today. Not a lot visually happening but still making some progress every day.
Old 12th May 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Getting closer to finishing everything up. We had a couple of late nights this week to get ready for our first client.

Our vocal booth was echoy echoy echoy!
So we made some DID IT MYSELF acoustic panels.

Sent from my SCH-I605

Last edited by Gearbot; 25th January 2016 at 04:40 PM..
Old 12th May 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Looking great!!! How are the rooms sounding? Well done in the DIY traps...they look great! What did you end up using to make them?
Old 12th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
So what do you have behind the wood slats? I must have missed this part of the build. They also look killer!!!
So get this. There we were with nothing but sheetrock in the control room, painted gray, and sound was just bouncing EVERYWHERE. I HATE the way plain, acoustic panels look up on the wall. I had no idea what to do other than panels to tone the room down though until I came across Charleston Sound's page and pictures of their control room.

We actually called the guy who designed the studio and asked him what he did. He wasn't too keen on the idea of sharing his design with us though. So here's what we did.

Don't make fun of us.

Drop ceiling tiles. Imagine the wall covered in yellow, rigid drop ceiling tiles. We then covered the walls with non-fuzz-gathering, black fabric, and then tacked the wood on top of that and viola!

We're doing our entire drum room wrapped like this. Right now, it's just the ceiling insulation tiles. I'll take some pictures to give you an idea. Believe it or not, it worked incredibly well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Audio ➑️
Looking great!!! How are the rooms sounding? Well done in the DIY traps...they look great! What did you end up using to make them?
Again, don't make fun of me! We did the exact same thing here. We took drop ceiling tiles, ripped the paper off the front, stacked them 2 thick, wrapped it in fabric and framed it with left over oak from the wall. That's it!

They worked INCREDIBLY well. The room is almost completely dead, which worked great for vocals. I'm telling you, for a couple of guys from Kentucky, who literally have no idea what we're doing, things are working out pretty well!

All in all, one panel maybe cost us $15/$20 to make in materials.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Just a few more pictures from this weekend.

Last edited by Gearbot; 25th January 2016 at 04:40 PM..
Old 12th May 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Pics look great, and hey...whatever works!!! The first room (if you can even call it a room) I built we used ceiling tiles on the walls. We didn't cover them, just screwed them up to the wall. It really did help tone down some upper mid reflections.

It's all about getting the sound you want out of your rooms. Sounds like you're well on your way!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Lallymonster, you have got to be really pleased with how awesome that looks! Your place looks as top notch as any I have seen. Really looking forward to hearing some tracks that you have recorded there and pics showing how you did the walls and panels. Please don't leave me hanging!

Did you only go one layer deep on the walls and two on the panels?
Old 13th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Lallymonster, you have got to be really pleased with how awesome that looks! Your place looks as top notch as any I have seen. Really looking forward to hearing some tracks that you have recorded there and pics showing how you did the walls and panels. Please don't leave me hanging!

Did you only go one layer deep on the walls and two on the panels?
I won't lie. Every time I walk in, I can hardly believe it.

So, if you look up a few posts, I posted a picture of when we were beginning to put up the wood panels. At that point, we had painted the rigid insulation and the wood frames black, so you have to look closely to see it.

This is on top of the sheet rock. There's a wood frame every 16 inches or so with insulation in between. We painted it black so it wouldn't show through the fabric (turns out we didn't need to paint it) The frames are what we eventually nailed the wood panels in to.

I'll still post up pictures of our drum rooms so you can see what it looks like when it's not all black...and Instagrammed.
Old 13th May 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Upon closer inspection I noticed your thermostat...very cool, and a very cool system. I ran into one in a room a few weeks back and just couldn't pull myself away from playing! That's a piece of gear in and among itself!!

How deep is your control room? It looks enormous in those pics. Very very well done!! ....

Do me one favor and clean up that cable hanging below your big TV!!!'
Old 13th May 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Audio ➑️
Upon closer inspection I noticed your thermostat...very cool, and a very cool system. I ran into one in a room a few weeks back and just couldn't pull myself away from playing! That's a piece of gear in and among itself!!

How deep is your control room? It looks enormous in those pics. Very very well done!! ....

Do me one favor and clean up that cable hanging below your big TV!!!'
You don't like the cable??

Sent from my SCH-I605
Old 13th May 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Here you go motoxxxxxxxxx

Sent from my SCH-I605

Last edited by Gearbot; 25th January 2016 at 04:41 PM..
Old 13th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I don't like the cable either......LOL...After all of the nice work you did you let that cable mess be....Oh my how far you have fallen....joking of course...

That looks like rigid 703. Are they actually acoustical ceiling tiles?

What is the deal with the thermostat? I don't get it...
Old 13th May 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Haha I know. The cable is temporary. We've got a guy coming this week to move the outlet behind the TV.

Because everything has been done off the cuff as we went along we ended up with the outlet a lot lower than we needed it to be in the end. It's just one of those things that happens when you do it yourself.

The thermostat is a Nest Thermostat. It's a learning thermostat that helps save you money in the long run and allows you to remotely control the temperature in the room. They look sexy too. It's mostly just for looks but the energy efficiency is nice too.

They're not acoustic ceiling panels. Just regular, right off the shelf at Lowes, panels. They come in packs of 12 I believe and have white paper attached (that you would normally see if they were in a ceiling) that we just ripped off.

They've done a tremendous job for being just plain old ceiling tiles.

Now I just need to learn how to edit music and we might be in business!

Sent from my SCH-I605
Old 14th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ya know you are becoming a rock star with this build, right? You are known far and wide and admired by dozens.....
πŸ“ Reply