Quantcast
King Sound Studio UNDER CONSTRUCTION Paducah, Kentucky - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
King Sound Studio UNDER CONSTRUCTION Paducah, Kentucky
Old 29th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Sorry for the lack of updates. Finishing drywall takes days, and the visuals aren't that appealing. We've prepped our rear wall in the control room to have reclaimed brick laid starting Monday. Drywall finishing SHOULD be finished (is that redundant?) Wednesday, painting starts Thursday.

In the meantime, I've been trying to talk "the boss," (my wife) into letting us get a Manley Variable MU Mastering Version.

Last edited by Gearbot; 25th January 2016 at 04:34 PM..
Old 3rd April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Sorry for the blurry pictures. Just a quick update on the brick laying on the back wall/seating area of the control room. Painters are coming in this weekend.

Last edited by Gearbot; 25th January 2016 at 04:34 PM..
Old 4th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Really love the brick stuff. Did you do any bass trapping behind that wall at all?

We pick up the keys to our new building tomorrow and we will begin our project very quickly!

Keep us posted!
Old 4th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx ➑️
Really love the brick stuff. Did you do any bass trapping behind that wall at all?

We pick up the keys to our new building tomorrow and we will begin our project very quickly!

Keep us posted!
No bass trapping specifically. That wall, however, like all of our walls, is separated from the actual room we built in, along with whisper clips, hat channel, green glue and heaven only knows how many layers of dry wall. That will at least keep sound out of the rest of the building.

By the time the time we get the stage (I call it a stage for lack of a better term) add carpeting on the "stage" as well as the couch, if we have any serious issues in the back, we'll figure something out then. We could have our resident Kool-Aid man run through it and knock it down and start from square one.

The brick looks so nice in person (it's hard getting good pictures with poor lighting that we're stuck with for the time being) that we'll make it work.

Do you have a thread started for your build? I love following along....

...and stealing peoples' ideas!

Last edited by Gearbot; 25th January 2016 at 04:35 PM..
Old 6th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Looking at starting my own build thread here in the next couple of days. I just started demoing the bar stuff and stage that was in our building. Man one thing that is going to be a lot of work is getting rid of the old kitchen stuff and fire supression system.

How many square feet are you working with?

I may steal your brick idea. Love it!
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Looking at starting my own build thread here in the next couple of days. I just started demoing the bar stuff and stage that was in our building. Man one thing that is going to be a lot of work is getting rid of the old kitchen stuff and fire supression system.

How many square feet are you working with?

I may steal your brick idea. Love it!
Steal away! That's what I love about Gearslutz. I've stolen so many ideas here! We started with a room about 1070 square feet with roughly 13" ceilings. That got cut down a little bit as we be build the rooms in, especially when you consider doubling up all of the walls and putting space between rooms.

As we got to building and began feeling the squeeze from all of the walls, we decided to add on a drum room, giving us about 120 more square feet.
Old 12th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Another small update. Control room is getting closer to being finished. The couch stage (official, scientific name) has been constructed. We're getting ready to line the walls with 5/8" rigid insulation, wrap it in fabric, and then we're applying some wood paneling. The hope is that both side walls will double as diffusers and absorbers.

Will it work? We don't care. We do what we want!

Also, we just ordered a Manley Variable Mu that will be here early next week. We're EXTREMELY excited about it!

Last edited by Gearbot; 25th January 2016 at 04:35 PM..
Old 12th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
AWESOME! Enjoy the Vari Mu. I am planning on adding one to our rig once the building is done. I figure I can fill up racks with cool stuff once the building is done. I have some pretty awesome pieces already but one never really has quite enough now do they?

Are you going to have a rack in front of your scientifically named couch stage?
Old 13th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
AWESOME! Enjoy the Vari Mu. I am planning on adding one to our rig once the building is done. I figure I can fill up racks with cool stuff once the building is done. I have some pretty awesome pieces already but one never really has quite enough now do they?

Are you going to have a rack in front of your scientifically named couch stage?
Man, it is SO true! We're heading back to Nashville tomorrow for my wife's follow up tattoo appointment. She's got between 5 - 8 hours under tomorrow to finish up a sleeve and I've got the whole day to sneak around and buy stuff, but I literally have no clue what else to get at this point.

We have been discussing putting in a producer's desk with a rack in front of the couch stage. There's room enough to do it, but at this point, it would be more empty than full. SO, I think we're going to hold off for the time being. We did go ahead and run chases for one if/when we decide to put one in.

I've been keeping an eye on your thread by the way!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for keeping an eye on my thread. 8 hours worth of tattoo work could by a decent microphone. Tell your wife to get her priorities straight! (joke of course). I figure that if you guys were willing to sell your ugly child to fund this build that she could at least forgo the ink until the mic locker is fully stocked!

How much of the work are you doing yourself and who designed your build?

Did you ever post a floor plan of what you are building?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Sweet!
Old 13th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Picked up a 3 piece C&C kit with matching snare. It's alright.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Attached Thumbnails
King Sound Studio UNDER CONSTRUCTION Paducah, Kentucky-uploadfromtaptalk1365891912565.jpg  
Old 14th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks for keeping an eye on my thread. 8 hours worth of tattoo work could by a decent microphone. Tell your wife to get her priorities straight! (joke of course). I figure that if you guys were willing to sell your ugly child to fund this build that she could at least forgo the ink until the mic locker is fully stocked!

How much of the work are you doing yourself and who designed your build?

Did you ever post a floor plan of what you are building?
I DID post a floor plan originally, and then I considered closing my thread so I started deleting everything, and then I changed my mind. I guess I never re-added it.

Starting off, I was in there every day. I helped with demolition, framing, wiring, and some sheet rocking. It was about the time that the sheetrock started going up everywhere that I faked a back injury and took a back seat.

I'm still in there every day making judgment calls on the most minute things, and changing things just after it stops being convenient. I'm extremely good at that!
Old 15th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lallymonster ➑️

Starting off, I was in there every day. I helped with demolition, framing, wiring, and some sheet rocking. It was about the time that the sheetrock started going up everywhere that I faked a back injury and took a back seat.

I'm still in there every day making judgment calls on the most minute things, and changing things just after it stops being convenient. I'm extremely good at that!
Sounds a lot like what I do! I get too many variables and "what ifs" floating around in my head. I think it is from too many years of being a touring live engineer and having to think too far ahead to predict any tragedies.

I didn't have to fake the back injury though. I am the not so proud owner of 3 herniated discs!
Old 16th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I've suspended posting photo updates for the time being because everything that's being done, are the necessary, but visually "meh" things that need to get done before we can get to the flashy stuff.

In the meantime, Purple Santa (FedEx) dropped a couple of new toys off for us.
Attached Thumbnails
King Sound Studio UNDER CONSTRUCTION Paducah, Kentucky-906576_503417109719690_629548954_o.jpg   King Sound Studio UNDER CONSTRUCTION Paducah, Kentucky-32625_503445429716858_1472672883_n.jpg  
Old 17th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hey, you can post all of the pics of the Purple Santa stuff you want! I can take it!

Cool that you got the new version of the Vari Mu. The HPF switches have been needed for a long time on those units in my opinion.

Post some wiring and finish trim pics too!
Old 21st April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Things are still going slow on the construction front, so I thought I would share what we found today.

We've been looking for a 12 string for awhile now. I almost picked up a new one from a big box store in Nashville last week. I'm glad I didn't.

We just found this today: A 1983 Guild f412-bld. This thing has some wear on it, but for a 30 year old guitar, it is absolutely beautiful and the sustain goes for days.
Attached Thumbnails
King Sound Studio UNDER CONSTRUCTION Paducah, Kentucky-902967_505007116227356_1881923830_o.jpg   King Sound Studio UNDER CONSTRUCTION Paducah, Kentucky-537143_505007129560688_2107192713_n.jpg   King Sound Studio UNDER CONSTRUCTION Paducah, Kentucky-430523_505007169560684_1800401816_n.jpg   King Sound Studio UNDER CONSTRUCTION Paducah, Kentucky-913703_505007259560675_941793115_o.jpg   King Sound Studio UNDER CONSTRUCTION Paducah, Kentucky-902556_505007132894021_691994670_o.jpg  

Old 22nd April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
That is a great looking guitar!
Old 23rd April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Here's some pictures of where we're at. Flooring is almost completely installed and the live/tracking room is looking great! The control room is coming, but a little behind.

The orange you see will be going, and there's going to be a lot of stained, oak, paneling/diffusers in the control room, so we've still got some work to do, but we're thrilled to have the flooring in!

Last edited by Gearbot; 25th January 2016 at 04:36 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
WOW!!!! Now that is an update!!!!

Love the flooring and the colors you chose. I think that works really well together.

I really like a studio that looks like it was meant to be played in. So many people design them to look like pieces of art (which is fine), but those types of places make me want to take a nap. I prefer studios that looks like yours does that says "Come on in and play your ass off!!"

Looking awesome!

Who did your design?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
WOW!!!! Now that is an update!!!!

Love the flooring and the colors you chose. I think that works really well together.

I really like a studio that looks like it was meant to be played in. So many people design them to look like pieces of art (which is fine), but those types of places make me want to take a nap. I prefer studios that looks like yours does that says "Come on in and play your ass off!!"

Looking awesome!

Who did your design?
Man, you're too nice. We've got 1100sq feet, but it feels so small! Probably because I was the one who designed it (I literally have no idea what I'm doing). Things are starting to look great though, I just wish we had more space. I'm afraid that once we get all of our gear in there no one will have any room to move.

As for the color scheme, we tried copying off of Black13 Tattoo's current build in Nashville. Such an incredible Tattoo shop (look at their desk...it's freaking Copper.)

Black 13 <-----
Old 23rd April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What a great looking space they have. Very cool! If their tattoo biz ever fails they can start a studio and just add some rockwool and glass!

It looks much bigger than 1100 sq ft. What program did you use to design it? I am getting closer to having my space ready to start building in and I need to draw up some plans for the HVAC guy. If you used some software I would love to know what it is.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
What a great looking space they have. Very cool! If their tattoo biz ever fails they can start a studio and just add some rockwool and glass!

It looks much bigger than 1100 sq ft. What program did you use to design it? I am getting closer to having my space ready to start building in and I need to draw up some plans for the HVAC guy. If you used some software I would love to know what it is.
Please don't make fun of me!

I used Planner 5D. What's worse, I didn't even use the software, I used the Google Chrome web extension. It was so awful and bad, but it got the job done.

Once I finished a rough plan on that, I passed it off to our contractor and he put together a more official plan (which we only loosely stuck to).

Seriously though...it's awful software. You'll have to get it (chrome version is free) just to mess with.
Old 24th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What do you mean make fun of you? Hopefully you are kidding. I would only make fun of you for selling your ugly child to pay for your build when you could have clearly got more money for the better looking children, unless of course they are lazy....
Old 24th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the software tip!
Old 25th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
The orange in our control room is gone, and we're getting some wood up. Still needs to be stained, but it's getting there.

Last edited by Gearbot; 25th January 2016 at 04:36 PM..
Old 26th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Our desk is finally... FINALLY being delivered and installed tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I605
Old 27th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lallymonster ➑️
Our desk is finally... FINALLY being delivered and installed tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I605

Dude! I can't wait to see how it turns out!
Old 27th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Me too Poopy...

BTW - You win for having the coolest, albeit strangest screen name! Fuggin awesome!

Really excited to see how the desk looks in the room.

Hey Lally, did you ever post your floor plan?
Old 27th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
A quick preview.

Sent from my SCH-I605

Last edited by Gearbot; 25th January 2016 at 04:37 PM..
πŸ“ Reply