Quantcast
King Sound Studio UNDER CONSTRUCTION Paducah, Kentucky - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
King Sound Studio UNDER CONSTRUCTION Paducah, Kentucky
Old 11th March 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
First layer of sheet rock going up.

Last edited by Gearbot; 25th January 2016 at 04:30 PM..
Old 12th March 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Looking great so far!! I'm actually located just about an hour or so aways from you in Cape Girardeau. Great to see some people from around the area on here! Good Luck on the build!
Old 12th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopynuggeteer ➑️
Looking great so far!! I'm actually located just about an hour or so aways from you in Cape Girardeau. Great to see some people from around the area on here! Good Luck on the build!
Poopnugs, EPIC screen name. We're shooting for an April opening and couldn't be more anxious. To be honest, as I read through some of these other builds, I get a little jealous that I don't have much to show off yet. I think that once things start coming together, as we get sheet rock hung, get our diffusers up, paneling, doors, flooring, etc. it'll be great.

As for right now, it's just gray.

Isn't Cape where the Lantern is?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Finally found a Yamaha CP-80 in good, working condition. Picking this one up in Nashville in the morning. Can't wait to try and load all 260 pounds of it in to our Jeep.

Also picking up this custom made chandelier for our live room while we're down there. If you've never seen Southern Lights Electric company, you have to check out some of their stuff.

Southern Lights Electric Co. - HOME
Attached Thumbnails
King Sound Studio UNDER CONSTRUCTION Paducah, Kentucky-249319_489479974446737_1205578102_n.jpg   King Sound Studio UNDER CONSTRUCTION Paducah, Kentucky-il_570xn.424027073_bsue.jpg  
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lallymonster ➑️
Poopnugs, EPIC screen name. We're shooting for an April opening and couldn't be more anxious. To be honest, as I read through some of these other builds, I get a little jealous that I don't have much to show off yet. I think that once things start coming together, as we get sheet rock hung, get our diffusers up, paneling, doors, flooring, etc. it'll be great.

As for right now, it's just gray.

Isn't Cape where the Lantern is?
Awesome man! And don't get discouraged as every studio starts with just an idea and then is built from the ground up. I love seeing spaces like yours starting from nothing and watching the progress more then I do an already built studio with all the gear in world in it. And this is why we have this sub-forum

Lantern? No I don't believe so. There is only one studio here in town that I'm aware of other then the one I'm building. I believe its called angelcrush productions or something like that. Its an older place underneath one of the antique shops in downtown cape.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Awesome man! And don't get discouraged as every studio starts with just an idea and then is built from the ground up. I love seeing spaces like yours starting from nothing and watching the progress more then I do an already built studio with all the gear in world in it. And this is why we have this sub-forum

Lantern? No I don't believe so. There is only one studio here in town that I'm aware of other then the one I'm building. I believe its called angelcrush productions or something like that. Its an older place underneath one of the antique shops in downtown cape.
Lantern!? What am I saying. I meant Lamberts (the restaurant). You'll have to forgive me, I'm from Kentucky and can't read....or spell.

Do you have a thread going for your build? I would love to see!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Lantern!? What am I saying. I meant Lamberts (the restaurant). You'll have to forgive me, I'm from Kentucky and can't read....or spell.

Do you have a thread going for your build? I would love to see!
Hahaha oh yeah! Thats actually a little south of Cape in Sikeston MO but same ballpark! And yes Lamberts is still there. Awesome food!

I just moved into this new place around Oct. I've been busy recording so haven't been able to update the thread here lately with anything major but here's the link! Just posted a couple new pics now.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studi...dio-build.html

Also here's the latest project I've worked on here. I engineered and tracked all the guitars and bass here.
Hope for the Dying Lyric Video for "Iniquitous" - YouTube
Old 13th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
count me in on following this build! looks great so far!
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
You'll have to forgive me, I'm from Kentucky and can't read....or spell.
ROFL!

I've rock climbed at the Red River Gorge many times (yes, that's "Dueling Banjos" playing in the background) thus I can fully relate.
Old 13th March 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Love this build!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Fellow slutzians,

First of all, thank you for the recent love being shown to this thread. We literally sold our first child to help finance this project (she was a really ugly baby anyway,) and when we tell people what we're doing and they respond with an un-enthusiastic, "cool," it's a little disheartening. You guys help remind us exactly why we sold our ugly baby in the first place: Internet praise!

All jokes aside, thank you. Genuinely.

We went to Nashville yesterday. My wife had a 5 hour appointment at Black 13 to get some ink done. While she was under the needle, I accidentally bought us an American P-bass, and a couple cool light fixtures from Southern Lights Electric. It was an accident.

Then we finally found our Yamaha CP-80 electric piano. It weighs 1800 mega tons, but somehow we fit everything, including a chandelier for our live room in our little Jeep and made it home.

Due to the addition, we will be adding on a separate room to house our two Yamahas (CP-80 electric and U1 upright), leaving more room in the live room for rock n' roll.

Sheet rock is getting closer to be finished.

Did we mention we have a custom desk being built that is almost done? So much gear p*rn, you don't even know.
Attached Thumbnails
King Sound Studio UNDER CONSTRUCTION Paducah, Kentucky-531685_490132961048105_168260059_n.jpg  
Old 13th March 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Here's some of the progress being made in the live room. The booth and control room are both double layered, green glued and clipped with air space between each room.

We've done the ceiling in the live room before the walls so we can get the rented lift back to its owner asap.

The last picture you can see the door through which will eventually become the piano room. It will be roughly 7' x 12' and really give us some much needed space in our live room. We've got a wooden door with glass so you'll be able to see in to the room while in the live room. It is such a huge relief that the building owner (a relative) is all for the idea. With essentially four layers of sheet rock, hat channel, clips, glue and air space, I was really starting to feel the squeeze. Maybe we'll get doors in next week?

P.S. I enjoy taking cell phone pictures of the guys working. When I'm taking pictures, I'm not lifting drywall.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Last edited by Gearbot; 25th January 2016 at 04:31 PM..
Old 14th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Build looks like its going to turn out great!! glad to see a fellow kentuckian around here! Not too much going on in Kentucky as far as studios are concerned, so this makes me pretty excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea ➑️
ROFL!

I've rock climbed at the Red River Gorge many times (yes, that's "Dueling Banjos" playing in the background) thus I can fully relate.
I'm sure you tried miguels? absolute best pizza, hands down.
I'm actually going to be there climbing this weekend
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Did we mention we have a custom desk being built that is almost done? So much gear p*rn, you don't even know.
well that sounds unbelievably cool.......tell us more, pics!
Old 14th March 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Forgive the cell phone screen shots. I have to swing by and check the desk out. For whatever reason, all of our county schools are merging into one gigantic, super mega high school. The guys doing our desk were hired to do basically everything and anything that had wood in the school. It's an enormous project but their work is top notch. They were kind enough to not only squeeze us in, but also to arrange several meetings to make sure everything was just how we wanted it.

I got word yesterday that they would be finished soon. I need to swing by and snap some pictures.

Attached Thumbnails
King Sound Studio UNDER CONSTRUCTION Paducah, Kentucky-uploadfromtaptalk1363270749982.jpg   King Sound Studio UNDER CONSTRUCTION Paducah, Kentucky-uploadfromtaptalk1363270764506.jpg  
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD1176 ➑️
I'm sure you tried miguels? absolute best pizza, hands down.
I'm actually going to be there climbing this weekend
We typically stayed at Miguel's and ate there religiously. Awesome.

Climb safe!

Quote:
While she was under the needle, I accidentally bought us an American P-bass, and a couple cool light fixtures from Southern Lights Electric. It was an accident.
I have a similar defliction. One of these days I'm gonna have to have the Studio Doctor check it out and prescribe an appropriate medication. "Take two Distressors and call me in the morning..."
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Forgive the cell phone screen shots. I have to swing by and check the desk out. For whatever reason, all of our county schools are merging into one gigantic, super mega high school. The guys doing our desk were hired to do basically everything and anything that had wood in the school. It's an enormous project but their work is top notch. They were kind enough to not only squeeze us in, but also to arrange several meetings to make sure everything was just how we wanted it.

I got word yesterday that they would be finished soon. I need to swing by and snap some pictures.

Looks like it will be great! How much do they charge if you don't mind sharing?
Old 14th March 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Looks like it will be great! How much do they charge if you don't mind sharing?
Not at all. For a point of reference, here's a basic desk from KK Audio through Sweetwater:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WBW1

Our desk, which is all quality wood, much larger, with a lot more rack space, was about $200 more.

Not to mention, KK Audio charges anywhere from $300 to $500 for shipping. Then you get to put your desk together yourself.

Ours, for the above mentioned price was built to specificially fit our room, built exactly the way we wanted it, delivered and installed. We absolutely couldn't be happier with the overall experience.

Old 15th March 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Greeeeennnnn Glueeeeeeeeeeeeee

Sent from my large phone
Attached Thumbnails
King Sound Studio UNDER CONSTRUCTION Paducah, Kentucky-uploadfromtaptalk1363369948387.jpg  
Old 15th March 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
What an exhausting day. I'm covered from head to toe in Green Glue. If you remember Nickelodeon's Double Dare, I imagine it feels much the same.

The sound proofing is a great success even at this point of construction. The roof of the building we're in is all metal. When we began construction, the rain sounded like World War 3. It rained pretty hard yesterday and we didn't hear a thing.

Today we finished sheet rocking the ceiling in the live room. With that done, we only have a couple walls left. Drywall finishers are scheduled for next week.

Last edited by Gearbot; 25th January 2016 at 04:32 PM..
Old 16th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Looks great!! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE green glue!!! I just picked up my shipment of 45 gallons of this goo. It's encouraging to hear that you are achieving great results with the isolation systems. I'm in a metal building as well....when it sprinkles outside it sounds like the world is coming to an end inside.

With the green glue, did you use the re-fillable gun? Or did you use all tubes? I've heard mixed reviews of the gun, but was able to borrow one from a guy out here. I'm currently looking for tips for it. I hear you can use standard sikaflex sausage pack tips...anyway, looks great!!!
Old 16th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm covered from head to toe in Green Glue.
You should measure your STC.
Old 17th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Audio ➑️
Looks great!! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE green glue!!! I just picked up my shipment of 45 gallons of this goo. It's encouraging to hear that you are achieving great results with the isolation systems. I'm in a metal building as well....when it sprinkles outside it sounds like the world is coming to an end inside.

With the green glue, did you use the re-fillable gun? Or did you use all tubes? I've heard mixed reviews of the gun, but was able to borrow one from a guy out here. I'm currently looking for tips for it. I hear you can use standard sikaflex sausage pack tips...anyway, looks great!!!
YES! I feel you! This was such a huge concern of ours when we were early on in the process, shortly after demoing, and were in their working during our first big rain storm. I even think I said, "It sounds like the world is coming to an end."

Our overall design is rooms within a room. Everything is free standing, no room touches another room. On top of decoupling, we've used whisper clips from tmsoundproofing.com. On top of that, we've used a two layers of sheetrock with Green Glue sandwiched in between. Also, just regular insulation.

For the ceilings, we sat free standing ceiling joists across each room from wall to wall (maintaining the room isolation). Underneath, we used the same technique as the walls, minus the whisper clips, with sprayed in insulation. The distance in our live room (12'' high) to the actual building's roof varies from less than a foot, to about two feet, so it's pretty close. And I'm telling you, it is dead silent.

Now, as for the Green Glue: This is my recommendation, based off of personal experience. If you can get the tubes, GET THE TUBES. Here's why. Green Glue is messy. No, messy is an understatement. It's messtacular!! Even with being able to throw the tubes away after each use, the stuff gets everywhere. If you have to keep dipping, it's just going to be messier. It washes out, but man, while you're working with it, you get it all your hands, in your hair, it's just awful.

Sikaflex tips should work just fine. If you get the tubes, they ship one tip per tube so you never end up reusing anything except the caulking gun. That being said, don't let me discourage you if you are stuck with the buckets. The stuff is still great, and worth the extra mess.
Old 18th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You should measure your STC.
We've done some initial testing from room to room, which is kind of moot at this point since there's big gaping holes waiting for our sliding glass doors to be installed, but that being said, there's a significant drop from room to room already even with the giant holes in the wall.

We're actually located in an office building/warehouse owned by a family member. It had been vacant for three years, but recently, my mother-in-law, her significant other (the owner of the building) and a few others have moved their offices in. Our big concern was keeping sound in. Even at this stage, we've cranked radios in our live room and stepped outside to see if there's any bleed, and it's absolutely silent.

Once we get closer, we'll get some more official numbers down.

Looking forward to this week. Sheet rock should be done being hung by Tuesday. The drywall finishers come in this week on Thursday. Things should start taking shape very quickly!
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I was making a joke about you being covered in Green Glue - like: did it raise your personal STC?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I was making a joke about you being covered in Green Glue - like: did it raise your personal STC?
LOL! It's like being in space. When you're covered in Green Glue, no one can hear you scream.
Old 21st March 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Just a quick update. All the main drywall is hung. Adding a soffit and bass traps, and other various wall things. I've posted the pictures we're using as inspiration.

We're going to be ordering some LED strips next week for some really cool accent lighting. I think you guys will be impressed.

That's all for now!

Sent from my SCH-I605

Last edited by Gearbot; 25th January 2016 at 04:33 PM..
Old 23rd March 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
YES! I feel you! This was such a huge concern of ours when we were early on in the process, shortly after demoing, and were in their working during our first big rain storm. I even think I said, "It sounds like the world is coming to an end."

Our overall design is rooms within a room. Everything is free standing, no room touches another room. On top of decoupling, we've used whisper clips from tmsoundproofing.com. On top of that, we've used a two layers of sheetrock with Green Glue sandwiched in between. Also, just regular insulation.

For the ceilings, we sat free standing ceiling joists across each room from wall to wall (maintaining the room isolation). Underneath, we used the same technique as the walls, minus the whisper clips, with sprayed in insulation. The distance in our live room (12'' high) to the actual building's roof varies from less than a foot, to about two feet, so it's pretty close. And I'm telling you, it is dead silent.

Now, as for the Green Glue: This is my recommendation, based off of personal experience. If you can get the tubes, GET THE TUBES. Here's why. Green Glue is messy. No, messy is an understatement. It's messtacular!! Even with being able to throw the tubes away after each use, the stuff gets everywhere. If you have to keep dipping, it's just going to be messier. It washes out, but man, while you're working with it, you get it all your hands, in your hair, it's just awful.

Sikaflex tips should work just fine. If you get the tubes, they ship one tip per tube so you never end up reusing anything except the caulking gun. That being said, don't let me discourage you if you are stuck with the buckets. The stuff is still great, and worth the extra mess.
Thanks for the tips! I actually already committed to the buckets of green glue. Found the replacement tips from a local supplier. This goo is crazy sticky!! We're using a borrowed gun so we're taking our time with it. A few buckets into the project and doing good on the "mess" front. I'm also using sealant on all the seams of drywall and other layers. This has actually been a bigger mess than the green glue.

Our rooms are very similar from a construction/layer perspective. Really glad to hear your experiencing great results!!

Anyway, I'm really enjoying your build! Keep up the great work!!
Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Our electric rack. Picked up the American Deluxe Tele pictured a couple of days ago. The photos don't do the pearl finish justice. I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but the epi Popa Chubby V is one of the best sounding blues/jazz guitars I've ever heard.
Attached Thumbnails
King Sound Studio UNDER CONSTRUCTION Paducah, Kentucky-892415_493894840671917_36531515_o.jpg  
Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but the epi Popa Chubby V is one of the best sounding blues/jazz guitars I've ever heard.
Obviously, it's time to dispense with this studio build bidness and record the Epi in all of its blues and fusion-drenched glory. You probably still feel the weight of the remaining build details.
πŸ“ Reply